From: Stan Brown on
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:45:57 -0500 from Beauregard T. Shagnasty
<a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid>:

> Stan Brown wrote:
>
> > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> >> When you misquote, you can argue anything.
> >
> > Certainly, but I did not misquote.
>
> Error by omission.
>
> >> Thomas's full phrase, which you snipped inappropriately, said:
> >> "IrfanView can be downloaded free of charge, but it is not free or Open
> >> Source software, .."
> >>
> >> "Free or Open Source" is a group of words frequently used together,
> >> especially in the Linux world.
> >
> > Perhaps. But that's kind of irrelevant to a Windows-only program,
> > isn't it?
>
> Are you claiming there are no open source applications for the Windows
> platform? What about OpenOffice?

Of course I am making no such absurd claim. What would lead you to
put up such a straw man?

> > In any event, what the PP said in English is that it's not free
> > software (false) and it's not open source (true). I can't imagine
> > why the PP chose to capitalize "Open Source", but that further
> > undercuts your premise since the PP did *not* capitalize "free".
>
> This is Usenet, not an English grammar class.
>
> So, are you also claiming you win?

Nobody wins this kind of pissing contest. The PP said Irfanview
wasn't free. I corrected that with a quote from Irfanview's Web
site.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>> True, but IrfanView can do quite a lot with a much simplified
>>> interface.
>> I would not call The GIMP's interface complicated with regard to
>> cropping and scaling. Perhaps you have used an older version.
>
> The detached multiple "toolbar" window has been a source of criticism
> for some time now.

Entirely irrelevant with regard to cropping and scaling. Anyhow, each
editor window has a menu and a context menu where the Batch feature, when
installed, can be found.

>>> The batch feature does not require programing experience like Gimp
>> Neither The GIMP nor using its batch feature require programming
>> experience.
>
> IIRC your need to write a script...I would say that "requires"
> programming experience.

You don't need to write the script, other people have already written it
for you. All you need to do is install the script (which can be as easy as
copying it to the documented location), restarting GIMP and selecting the
menu item.

>>> so it is more accessible for the home user.
>> As was that plugin.
>
> What plugin?

(Google is your friend. [psf 6.1])

E.g. <http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hodsond/dbp.html>

PointedEars
From: jeff on
Ben C wrote:
> On 2010-02-26, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> [...]
>>> The batch feature does not require programing experience like Gimp
>> Neither The GIMP nor using its batch feature require programming
>> experience.
>
> Last time I tried using the GIMP in batch mode it involved programming
> in Scheme.
>
> [...]
>> But unnecessary, the license issue aside. Linux boxes have ImageMagick
>> packages.
>
> Yes, I would use ImageMagick for batched cropping. You just use commands
> like this:
>
> $ convert -crop '100x100+200+200!' image1.png image2.png

I get the feeling that maintenance on Image::Magick is waining. It can
be a troublesome package to install, particularly if you need Perl or
PHP support. I used to have it on every server I worked on.

Jeff
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Newbie question