From: Mr.T on

"Felix_the_cat" <go_away(a)not_here.biz> wrote in message
> THE surge in the Telstra share price and a caller to Melbourne Talkback
> Radio yesterday neatly captured the reality of the Government's
> continuing National Broadband Network multi-billion dollar disaster.
>
> The caller made the point that we had managed to increase the speed at
> which we accessed the internet by something like 400 times - from the
> old 56 kbps dial-up to 20 mbps available on ADSL down the old Telstra
> copper network, at very little cost.
>
> Now we - or rather Kevin Rudd and Stephen Conroy and the man who used to
> be the last competent minister in this government, Lindsay Tanner - are
> embarked on spending upwards of $40 billion, to increase our access
> speed all of five times. From that 20 mbps to 100 mbps.

Whilst the NBN idea is a complete WOTM the figure you quote is nowhere near
the ultimate fibre speeds, whereas the copper speeds are getting pretty
close even for those lucky enough to live within a couple of kilometres of
an exchange.

> Indeed, spending upwards of $40 billion to perhaps not even increase the
> speed at all, in much of Melbourne! Because Telstra can already deliver
> speeds up to 100 mbps to much of Melbourne down its HFC (Foxtel) cable.

AND the existing Optus fibre cable in Melbourne and Sydney.

> Even more bizarrely, the Government demanded that Telstra shut down this
> cable as part of Sunday's deal.
>
> Go figure. Telstra can already deliver 100 mbps in Melbourne. It could
> extend that to much of Sydney and Melbourne at very little cost. The
> Government says: no way.
>
> You have to close it down so we can spend $40 billion of taxpayer money
> to get back to delivering that 100 mbps in maybe eight years rather than
> next year via Telstra.

They did it when they insisted Telstra close it's $1.5 billion Analog Mobile
Phone network, forcing people to throw away their phones, with NO suitable
replacements in country areas other than HUGELY expensive sattelite phones.
And yet hardly a whimper.

MrT.

From: Mr.T on

"HD" <herpem(a)bigpond.com> wrote in message
> If you live in Sydney or Melbournr close to an exchange and you get a good
> service, the bloke in Longreach or Winton has the right to have the same
> srvice as he pays the same tax as you.

These are PRIVATE enterprise services. The bloke in Lonreach gets a cheaper
house and misses out on fibre cable. HIS choice! Why should taxpayers pay
for HIS internet, will he pay for THEIR mortgages I wonder?

MrT.

From: Mr.T on

> If you think it is bullshit, maybe the farmers should move to the city

If they can afford the land prices, sure.

>and you can buy your food from China

A lot of it comes from there already.

MrT.

From: HD on

"Mr.T" <MrT(a)home> wrote in message

> "HD" <herpem(a)bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> If you think it is bullshit, maybe the farmers should move to the city
>
> If they can afford the land prices, sure.

I'm sure they can when they sell their multi million dollar stations to the
Chinese

>>and you can buy your food from China
>
> A lot of it comes from there already.

Yea, your grain for your bread, your daily milk, butter and cheese, your
beef, your fresh fruit and vegetables etc. etc.
You haven't got a clue.

From: HD on

> "HD" <herpem(a)bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> If you live in Sydney or Melbournr close to an exchange and you get a
>> good
>> service, the bloke in Longreach or Winton has the right to have the same
>> srvice as he pays the same tax as you.
>
> These are PRIVATE enterprise services. The bloke in Lonreach gets a
> cheaper
> house and misses out on fibre cable. HIS choice! Why should taxpayers pay
> for HIS internet, will he pay for THEIR mortgages I wonder?
>
> MrT.

Mr. totally clueless,
If Farmers stop producing, your taxes go up by 20% at least. Your living
cost would go up another 30%, You probably would lose your job as well.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Good ebay junk?
Next: Watching 3D movies on my computer