From: Anna Wood on
Here are my scores for my other home machine, SW2007 SP2.1, EVGA e-
GeForce 7100 GS video card. The original Nvidia FX550 died and I
replaced it with a low end gamer card.

FWIW,

Anna Wood

SolidWorks 2007 Workstation Benchmark
User Name : ------------
Computer Name: ------------
Manufacturer : Dell Inc.
Model : Precision WorkStation 390
OS : Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS SP : Service Pack 2
CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
# of CPU : 2
Memory : 2045

**** Overall Test Results ****
Note: All results are in seconds.
Lower scores are better.

Test Number 1
Test Total = 227.5
Graphics = 104.45
CPU = 53.58
I/O = 69.47

Test Number 2
Test Total = 226.46
Graphics = 104.41
CPU = 52.83
I/O = 69.22

Test Number 3
Test Total = 226.11
Graphics = 103.96
CPU = 52.97
I/O = 69.18

Test Number 4
Test Total = 225.53
Graphics = 103.76
CPU = 52.72
I/O = 69.05

Test Number 5
Test Total = 226.05
Graphics = 103.9
CPU = 52.93
I/O = 69.22

Test Averages for 5 tests(s).
Test Total = 226.34
Graphics = 104.1
CPU = 53.01
I/O = 69.23

From: TOP on
Here is the cream of the crop on the 2005 Benchmark. Apparently CPUs
and IO have gotten a whole lot faster and graphics cards have gotten a
whole lot slower.

SPECapcSM SolidWorks2005 Benchmark Result

Dell Precision Mobile Workstation M90 2.33GHz
NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500M
Submitted by: Dell, Inc.

Test Number 1
Test Total = 447
Graphics = 88.75
CPU = 183.03
I/O = 175.22

Test Averages for 1 tests(s).
Test Total = 447
Graphics = 88.75
CPU = 183.03
I/O = 175.22

Dell Precision Workstation 690 3.00 GHz
nVidia Quadro FX 3500
Submitted by: Dell, Inc.

Test Number 1
Test Total = 325.68
Graphics = 64.96
CPU = 132.23
I/O = 128.49

Test Averages for 1 tests(s).
Test Total = 325.68
Graphics = 64.96
CPU = 132.23
I/O = 128.49

From: Art Woodbury on
In article <1179021594.768590.27830(a)k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, kellnerp(a)cbd.net says...
> Compared with the 2005 benchmark your processor scores are awesome
> unless you somehow got graphics and CPU mixed.
>
> TOP

My report was a cut-and-paste of the text file created by the test.

I don't have any previous results for comparison, mainly because I never thought the
SPEC tests related directly to real CAD usage.

Art

P.S. The graphics and CPU fans spooled up higher than I've ever heard them go. It didn't
sound like a Dell product -- more like Pratt & Whitney.....
From: TOP on
I am trying to make a couple points about SPECapc for SolidWorks.

1. SPECapc is really not what you would call a benchmark in the
strictest sense of the word. Maybe a relative benchmark is as far as I
would go. You can't compare results from one year's benchmark to
another. It doesn't run reliably across different releases of SW. I
can't run the SPECapc2007version on SW2003. And if I run SW2007 on
SPECapc 2005 there will be the overhead of file conversion.

2. SPECapc does not reflect real world. If you look at the CPU scores
between 2005 and 2007 you will see a tremendous difference. Likewise
the graphics scores. If you take a 2005 assembly, one that you
struggled with in 2005, convert it to 2007, do you see the same level
of improvement that SPECapc shows on the new hardware you are
testing?

3. SPECapc does not reflect the real world in that it is heavily
biased to graphics card performance. Just visit the results page on
their site or look at the source code. Years ago when SPEC was a hot
item on the NG I did a lot of testing with it. I found that a good
graphics card could make a mediocre CPU look stellar and a bad
graphics card would make a good CPU look like a dog. In the real world
you can work around a slow graphics card by setting SW graphics to
their lowest settings. Sure circles will look like hexagons, but work
can get done. You can't work around a poor performing CPU and that is
where a lot of time is spent waiting on large assemblies and complex
parts.

4. SPEC does not benchmark a significant subset of SW functionality.
And it doesn't go out of it's way to test the functionality in SW that
causes bottlenecks.You won't see a lot of complex large assembly
drawings or assemblies with lot's of mega-multi configuration parts in
them. A lot of it is concerned with graphics eye candy.

5. Given that SPECapc 2007 is just out and that 2008 is now in beta it
has a limited lifetime so that in six months it will be relegated to
just another curiousity.

Here is a list of uses for SPECapc:
Home hardware evaluation
Business purchasing evaluation
Internal hardware development
Internal ISV development
User system evaluation/optimization
Research study
Vendor competitive analysis
Magazine or online publication

In other words you can't use it to evaluate one version of SW against
another.

I should mention that you hit on one of the strengths that SPEC has
always had, the ability to really stress a system. Any system that
won't run through all five iterations of SPEC probably has problems. I
have used SPEC in the past to evaluate registry tweaks. The newer
versions aren't as handy because they take so long to run. It is the
first thing I would run if hardware problems are suspected.

Why SW raises the CPU temperature so much still is a mystery to me.
But it does and more so that other types of software like FEA.

TOP

From: Dale Dunn on

> Why SW raises the CPU temperature so much still is a mystery to me.
> But it does and more so that other types of software like FEA.

This one I think I know. FEA is almost entirely floating-point math and
block memory transfers, which only exercises those areas of the chip. SW
will exercise the integer and logic portions of the chip as well and
probably work the caches harder, thereby causing another portion of the CPU
die to generate heat. This will be more pronounced in recent chip designs
that can lower the clock speed or even switch off unused parts of the chip.
Currently, Intel's Core processors are the most agressive about this. It's
a significant portion of their power saving (in addition to the 65 nm
process, etc.).