From: Doum on
"Anonamoose" <aetoo(a)hotmail.com> �crivait

<snip>

> The router that you inevitably use to access the
> internet has a hardware firewall as well which is likely the main
> firewall actually protecting your computer.

<snip>

I wasn't aware you needed a router to access the internet, or maybe I
misunderstood?

(English is not my native language)

From: Rich Barry on
It's been so long that I forgot I turned off Windows own Firewall.
Comodo works fine for me since I am not on a local Network.
In the past MS efforts to protect my Computer have been less than
adequate. Hence, I don't think of MS as a first line of defense.

From: Fuzzy Logic on
"Rich Barry" <rbarry(a)socal.rr.com> wrote in news:O8P6YaSpKHA.4348(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:

> It's been so long that I forgot I turned off Windows own Firewall.
> Comodo works fine for me since I am not on a local Network.
> In the past MS efforts to protect my Computer have been less than
> adequate. Hence, I don't think of MS as a first line of defense.
> "Rich Barry" <rbarry(a)socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Microsoft has a fairly new program called Security Essentials. Does
>> anybody know if it includes a Firewall? It does talk about
>> anti virus and malware protection. I just started using Comodo Free
>> version combo of Firewall and Antivirus/Malware. Just wondering if I
>> should give SE a try.

You may find this interesting:

http://lifehacker.com/5401453/stop-paying-for-windows-security-microsofts-security-tools-are-good-enough

http://lifehacker.com/5433229/microsoft-security-essentials-ranks-as-best+performing-free-antivirus

I have been running MSSE since it came out of beta on both Vista and XP and it's got a very small resource
footprint and apparently does a very good job based on recent testing.
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 15:05:59 -0800, Doum <me(a)domain.net> wrote:

> "Anonamoose" <aetoo(a)hotmail.com> �crivait
>
> <snip>
>
> > The router that you inevitably use to access the
> > internet has a hardware firewall as well which is likely the main
> > firewall actually protecting your computer.
>
> <snip>
>
> I wasn't aware you needed a router to access the internet, or maybe I
> misunderstood?

You didn't misunderstand, and you are right that a router is not
needed. Moreover the great majority of computers are used without a
network, and there is no router used with them.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Got Google? =>
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=does+microsoft+security+essentials+include+firewall%3F

Do any MSE-specific pages mention that it includes a firewall? (No.)
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

MSE Support Forums
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/mse

MSE left beta in Oct-09.