From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain>

| On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 15:05:59 -0800, Doum <me(a)domain.net> wrote:

>> "Anonamoose" <aetoo(a)hotmail.com> �crivait

>> <snip>

>> > The router that you inevitably use to access the
>> > internet has a hardware firewall as well which is likely the main
>> > firewall actually protecting your computer.

>> <snip>

>> I wasn't aware you needed a router to access the internet, or maybe I
>> misunderstood?

| You didn't misunderstand, and you are right that a router is not
| needed. Moreover the great majority of computers are used without a
| network, and there is no router used with them.

But a NAT Router or a NAT Router with a full FireWall implementation is better than using
a FireWall application in many respects.

I recently upgraded from a plain NAT Router to a NAT Router with a full FireWall
implementation and I ham very happy with it ability to "rules".

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Fuzzy Logic" <bob(a)arc.ab.caREMOVETHIS>

| "Rich Barry" <rbarry(a)socal.rr.com> wrote in news:O8P6YaSpKHA.4348(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:

>> It's been so long that I forgot I turned off Windows own Firewall.
>> Comodo works fine for me since I am not on a local Network.
>> In the past MS efforts to protect my Computer have been less than
>> adequate. Hence, I don't think of MS as a first line of defense.
>> "Rich Barry" <rbarry(a)socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Microsoft has a fairly new program called Security Essentials. Does
>>> anybody know if it includes a Firewall? It does talk about
>>> anti virus and malware protection. I just started using Comodo Free
>>> version combo of Firewall and Antivirus/Malware. Just wondering if I
>>> should give SE a try.

| You may find this interesting:

| http://lifehacker.com/5401453/stop-paying-for-windows-security-microsofts-security-
| tools-are-good-enough

| http://lifehacker.com/5433229/microsoft-security-essentials-ranks-as-best+performing-
| free-antivirus

| I have been running MSSE since it came out of beta on both Vista and XP and it's got a
| very small resource
| footprint and apparently does a very good job based on recent testing.

Annecdotal information has shown that what gets past MSE isn't removed well by MSE even
after MSE detected it. MBAM did what MSE couldn't do.

--
Dave

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 18:47:15 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

> From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain>
>
> | On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 15:05:59 -0800, Doum <me(a)domain.net> wrote:
>
> >> "Anonamoose" <aetoo(a)hotmail.com> �crivait
>
> >> <snip>

> >> <snip>
>
> >> I wasn't aware you needed a router to access the internet, or maybe I
> >> misunderstood?
>

> | You didn't misunderstand, and you are right that a router is not
> | needed. Moreover the great majority of computers are used without a
> | network, and there is no router used with them.
>
> But a NAT Router or a NAT Router with a full FireWall implementation is better than using
> a FireWall application in many respects.

Yep, no question about it. My point wasn't anything else, just that
most people don't have a router.

> I recently upgraded from a plain NAT Router to a NAT Router with a full FireWall
> implementation and I ham very happy with it ability to "rules".
>
> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Rich Barry on
Well, truly forgetting that XP had it's own firewall I did indeed
come away with the impression after reading about MSSE that it
did not have a Firewall. At the time that was very curious to me. So, I
decided to ask the question? I should have added and why not? But, thanks
for your contribution to this subject. MS MVP's are always valued.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain>

| On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 18:47:15 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>> From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain>

>> | You didn't misunderstand, and you are right that a router is not
>> | needed. Moreover the great majority of computers are used without a
>> | network, and there is no router used with them.

>> But a NAT Router or a NAT Router with a full FireWall implementation is better than
>> using
>> a FireWall application in many respects.

| Yep, no question about it. My point wasn't anything else, just that
| most people don't have a router.

Some do and they don't know it as many newer DSL Modems are DSL Modems+NAT Router.

Many on Cable are screwed as the ONLY have a Cable Modem.

--
Dave