From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Roy Smith" <rasmith1959(a)live.com>

| "Doum" <me(a)domain.net> wrote in message
>> "Anonamoose" <aetoo(a)hotmail.com> �crivait

>> <snip>

>>> The router that you inevitably use to access the
>>> internet has a hardware firewall as well which is likely the main
>>> firewall actually protecting your computer.

>> <snip>

>> I wasn't aware you needed a router to access the internet, or maybe I
>> misunderstood?

| It's not. The only reason you'd want a router is if you had several
| computers and you wanted all of them to use the same internet connection
| (usually DSL or a cable modem). But if you only have one PC, then a router
| is not needed at all.

Not true. Because you now have a layer of protection outside the PC. Even for just ONE
PC, it is worth it an as I have noted in this thread...
"Some do and they don't know it as many newer DSL Modems are DSL Modems+NAT Router."

--
Dave

From: Bob I on
Huh?!?!?!?

From: Tom Willett on
Bob: There's no doubt he's an IT expert ;-) Or, from the Geek Squad

"Bob I" <birelan(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
: Huh?!?!?!?
:
: Weavertech89 wrote:
:
: > windows firewall is not any good. I use avast on windows and thats it. I
: > use smoothwall for a firewall for all my computers. runs as an OS on a
: > different tower and it does everything for me. it is free open source
: > and you can't beat it. But unless you are networking you don't need a
: > firewall. but on your anti-virus question I don't think so, most are
: > programs to protect and clean. but try it i guess.
: >
: >
:

From: Bob I on
The part where "you don't need a firewall" pretty much iced him in my
book, I don't think even "geek squad" is that bad.

From: Unknown on
What purpose does a firewall serve if you are NOT networking???