From: Rich Barry on
Microsoft has a fairly new program called Security Essentials. Does
anybody know if it includes a Firewall? It does talk about
anti virus and malware protection. I just started using Comodo Free version
combo of Firewall and Antivirus/Malware. Just wondering if I should give SE
a try.

From: Bob I on
Windows comes with a firewall.

From: Andrew McLaren on
On 4/02/2010 08:00, Rich Barry wrote:
> Microsoft has a fairly new program called Security Essentials. Does
> anybody know if it includes a Firewall? It does talk about
> anti virus and malware protection. I just started using Comodo Free version

Hi Rich,

Microsoft Security Essentials does not contain a firewall in its
packaging, because there is already a Firewall built in to Windows XP
SP2 and later.

A combination of Windows' own firewall and MSE would give you firewall,
antivurs and antimalware protection; with no need for any 3rd party tools.

As to whether the Microsoft offerings are any better than 3rd party
tools ... there's probably thousands of different opinions; many based
on anecdote, subjective impressions, and prejudice :-) FWIW, I've been
using MSE and found it to be pretty good. It immediately detected the
only infection I've encountered in recent times (and that virus wasn't
even active; it was in the data payload of a non-executable file.

Most antivirus apps work by means of a "filter driver", which inserts a
layer of code into the stack of drivers that read and write to the disk.
Any slight error here can be very destabilising for the entire system;
AV software is notorious for casing blue screens and the like. One
advantage of MSE is that it's extremely compatible with the rest of Windows.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

--
amclar at optusnet dot com dot au
From: Anonamoose on
Few users need a firewall other than what is built into Windows. If you
cannot articulate in clear technical detail why the Windows firewall is not
adequate for your specific needs you do not need any other firewall.
The router that you inevitably use to access the internet has a hardware
firewall as well which is likely the main firewall actually protecting your
computer.
Programs like Commodo, if you are not familiar with using them, can easily
complicate local network connections.
MS Essentials is no better or worse than a host of free programs like AVG so
it comes down to personal preference.
In my personal experience there is little advantage, and many disadvantages,
to paying the exorbitant prices for retail antivirus programs. Your mileage
may vary.
If you actually get hit by malware it means your firewall and antivirus
program did not work and you will end up using free programs like
Malwarebytes before you are forced to reformat and reinstall.
No program will protect your computer if you are not reasonably careful
about what you click on when viewing websites.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Andrew McLaren" <andrew(a)somewhere.com>

< snip >

| Most antivirus apps work by means of a "filter driver", which inserts a
| layer of code into the stack of drivers that read and write to the disk.
| Any slight error here can be very destabilising for the entire system;
| AV software is notorious for casing blue screens and the like. One
| advantage of MSE is that it's extremely compatible with the rest of Windows.

< snip >

That's a bunch of malarchy !

--
Dave