From: Robert Wolfe on
On Thu, 13 May 2010, Mark Rae [MVP] wrote:

> "RayLopez99" <raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> But again, you can port (I think) almost anything done in Visual Studio to
>> Linux.
>
> How...?

Using something called mono IIRC.
From: Bert Hyman on
In news:1a284c33-9f55-466a-92b8-c9d6093e52e1(a)e2g2000yqn.googlegroups.com
RayLopez99 <raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Seriously, who codes in Linux and what platforms, IDEs, etc do they
> use? What language?

I did before I retired, and still putter a bit at home.

The OS was SLES (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server). The IDE was Eclipse, and
the languages were C and C++.

I have an Ubuntu Desktop 10.04 system running under VMWare Player on my
Windows PC at home.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com
From: ray on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:30:45 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:

> Seriously, who codes in Linux and what platforms, IDEs, etc do they use?
> What language?
>
> I code in C#, have done Windows Forms, WPF, Silverlight, ADO.NET,
> ASP.NET and some VB and Access dB programming, though I prefer ADO.NET.
> Getting into WCF now (SOAP) web services using REST as well. All of
> course under the award winning Visual Studio IDE. I'm using VS 2008 but
> might upgrade to VS 2010.
>
> Seriously, why would ANYBODY code in Linux? Why? You can port
> Silverlight to Linux. I think in theory ASP.NET is platform neutral as
> well.
>
> And what language would you use in Linux? C? C++? Why? And for server
> side, PHP? Why? Why would you do that? I am at a loss.
>
> Why would anybody use an IDE that does not have the bells and whistles
> of Visual Studio, like Intellisense? What's the point of not having a
> decent IDE?
>
> The only thing I can think of is if you want to code ONLY for Linux
> users, not for the 99% that doesn't use Linux OS and the over 90% that
> uses Windows OS. But again, you can port (I think) almost anything done
> in Visual Studio to Linux.
>
> Please educate me, I'm at a loss.
>
> I would even argue perhaps that Linux coding is not serious coding, but
> I'll leave that for another thread. Right now I'm just curious as to
> why anybody would torture themselves to code in Linux, and how they go
> about doing it. Do they even have libraries for Linux coding? Stuff
> like a generic list, array, etc, or do you have to build your own?
>
> RL

Several years ago, I was forced to use visual studio. I hated every
minute of it. Sheer hell. So hard to do anything of any substance. I
programmed C in Linux and was significantly more productive than the
sheep forced into visual hell.
From: ray on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:55:18 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:30:45 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
> <raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>Seriously, who codes in Linux and what platforms, IDEs, etc do they use?
>> What language?
>
>>I code in C#, have done Windows Forms, WPF, Silverlight, ADO.NET,
>>ASP.NET and some VB and Access dB programming, though I prefer ADO.NET.
>>Getting into WCF now (SOAP) web services using REST as well. All of
>>course under the award winning Visual Studio IDE. I'm using VS 2008 but
>>might upgrade to VS 2010.
>
>>Seriously, why would ANYBODY code in Linux? Why? You can port
>>Silverlight to Linux. I think in theory ASP.NET is platform neutral as
>>well.
>
> Anything you develop on a windows visual language is throwaway code. Use
> it and toss it. Don't ever expect any of it to run anywhere else, even
> on a future version of your current visual language.

Amen. I still recall the chaos when we 'upgraded' visual hell.
From: bbgruff on
On Thursday 13 May 2010 16:30 RayLopez99 wrote:

> The only thing I can think of is if you want to code ONLY for Linux
> users, not for the 99% that doesn't use Linux OS and the over 90% that
> uses Windows OS.

Oh dear oh dear.
Again, the common misconception, confusing the desktop with The Rest of the
World.
Once you stray from the desktop, your figures are a complete reversal of the
actual situation. The Linux installed base is at least *one* order of
magnitude greater than that of Windows, and it's probably very difficult to
find *anybody* who does *not* use Linux. I'm not even talking there about
people Googling, or shopping at Amazon, or visiting a Linux-powered
web-site. Rather, I'm talking about people owning evices devices which run
Linux.