From: Registered User on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:30:45 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
<raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Seriously, who codes in Linux and what platforms, IDEs, etc do they
>use? What language?

Java and C++ quickly come to mind as development languages. When
working with Java my preferred IDE is NetBeans. Eclipse isn't bad
either.

>I code in C#, have done Windows Forms, WPF, Silverlight, ADO.NET,
>ASP.NET and some VB and Access dB programming, though I prefer
>ADO.NET. Getting into WCF now (SOAP) web services using REST as
>well. All of course under the award winning Visual Studio IDE. I'm
>using VS 2008 but might upgrade to VS 2010.
>
>Seriously, why would ANYBODY code in Linux? Why? You can port
>Silverlight to Linux. I think in theory ASP.NET is platform neutral
>as well.

It's a matter of choosing the proper tool to build a proper solution.
The idea that everything can/should run in a browser is fundamentally
flawed. The browser represents a layer of indirection which may not be
the most suitable environment for the application it hosts. No matter
what Google! says a thin client does not have to be browser-based.

>And what language would you use in Linux? C? C++? Why? And for
>server side, PHP? Why? Why would you do that? I am at a loss.

The FOSS world is big on LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySql, PHP). The main
reason is nothing sells like free. There is nothing wrong with that as
long as the tools are suitable for the task.

>Why would anybody use an IDE that does not have the bells and whistles
>of Visual Studio, like Intellisense? What's the point of not having a
>decent IDE?

Bells and whistles are nice if they are useful, otherwise they just
get in the way. I have found nothing inherently wrong or lacking with
the Java IDEs I have used.

>The only thing I can think of is if you want to code ONLY for Linux
>users, not for the 99% that doesn't use Linux OS and the over 90% that
>uses Windows OS. But again, you can port (I think) almost anything
>done in Visual Studio to Linux.
>
>Please educate me, I'm at a loss.

The best way to educate yourself would be to download some Java tools
and try using them. I'd suggest NetBeans and whatever Sun calls their
latest version of their app server. The price is right, i.e. free.

A simple project would be to write a Java client for a C# SOAP
service. After that write the SOAP server in Java and run it from the
app server.

>I would even argue perhaps that Linux coding is not serious coding,
>but I'll leave that for another thread.
Please don't move under a bridge and start that thread. Such
evangelism serves no purpose.

>Right now I'm just curious as
>to why anybody would torture themselves to code in Linux, and how they
>go about doing it. Do they even have libraries for Linux coding?
>Stuff like a generic list, array, etc, or do you have to build your
>own?

You really should try the tools before declaring how poor they are and
how difficult they are to use. It's also a good way to test your OO
skills.

Also please remember that Linux is an operating system and not a
programming language.

regards
A.G.
From: The Big Ticket on
ray wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:55:18 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:30:45 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
>> <raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Seriously, who codes in Linux and what platforms, IDEs, etc do they use?
>>> What language?
>>> I code in C#, have done Windows Forms, WPF, Silverlight, ADO.NET,
>>> ASP.NET and some VB and Access dB programming, though I prefer ADO.NET.
>>> Getting into WCF now (SOAP) web services using REST as well. All of
>>> course under the award winning Visual Studio IDE. I'm using VS 2008 but
>>> might upgrade to VS 2010.
>>> Seriously, why would ANYBODY code in Linux? Why? You can port
>>> Silverlight to Linux. I think in theory ASP.NET is platform neutral as
>>> well.
>> Anything you develop on a windows visual language is throwaway code. Use
>> it and toss it. Don't ever expect any of it to run anywhere else, even
>> on a future version of your current visual language.
>
> Amen. I still recall the chaos when we 'upgraded' visual hell.

We went from VS 2005 to VS 2008 with no problems, soon to be VS 2010. I
doubt that you have ever used .Net professionally anywhere.
From: The Big Ticket on
ray wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:30:45 -0700, RayLopez99 wrote:
>
>> Seriously, who codes in Linux and what platforms, IDEs, etc do they use?
>> What language?
>>
>> I code in C#, have done Windows Forms, WPF, Silverlight, ADO.NET,
>> ASP.NET and some VB and Access dB programming, though I prefer ADO.NET.
>> Getting into WCF now (SOAP) web services using REST as well. All of
>> course under the award winning Visual Studio IDE. I'm using VS 2008 but
>> might upgrade to VS 2010.
>>
>> Seriously, why would ANYBODY code in Linux? Why? You can port
>> Silverlight to Linux. I think in theory ASP.NET is platform neutral as
>> well.
>>
>> And what language would you use in Linux? C? C++? Why? And for server
>> side, PHP? Why? Why would you do that? I am at a loss.
>>
>> Why would anybody use an IDE that does not have the bells and whistles
>> of Visual Studio, like Intellisense? What's the point of not having a
>> decent IDE?
>>
>> The only thing I can think of is if you want to code ONLY for Linux
>> users, not for the 99% that doesn't use Linux OS and the over 90% that
>> uses Windows OS. But again, you can port (I think) almost anything done
>> in Visual Studio to Linux.
>>
>> Please educate me, I'm at a loss.
>>
>> I would even argue perhaps that Linux coding is not serious coding, but
>> I'll leave that for another thread. Right now I'm just curious as to
>> why anybody would torture themselves to code in Linux, and how they go
>> about doing it. Do they even have libraries for Linux coding? Stuff
>> like a generic list, array, etc, or do you have to build your own?
>>
>> RL
>
> Several years ago, I was forced to use visual studio. I hated every
> minute of it.

It sounds like a PEBKAC problem (the problem exist between keyboard and
chair).

> Sheer hell. So hard to do anything of any substance. I
> programmed C in Linux and was significantly more productive than the
> sheep forced into visual hell.

You're not believable, and I wouldn't trust anything you would have to
say as far as I could toss a building somewhere.

From: Jackie on
On 5/13/2010 18:59, The Big Ticket wrote:
> Jackie wrote:
>> Also, if you ever want to develop commercial applications, you must
>> purchase Visual Studio. A hobbyist developer wanting to try to earn
>> some money with his creations may not want to pay �999+ for it before
>> he's even making any money.
>
> This is not correct.
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/express/support/support-faq.aspx>
>
> <copied>
>
> How much will these products cost?
>
> Effective April 19th, 2006, all Visual Studio Express Editions are free
> permanently. This pricing covers all Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions
> and Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions including Visual Basic, Visual
> C#, Visual C++, Visual J# (only available in Visual Studio 2005
> Express), and Visual Web Developer as well as all localized versions of
> Visual Studio Express.
>
> Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?
>
> Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built using
> Visual Studio Express Editions.
>
> <end copy>

I was sure I learned a few years back that you could *not* use the free,
Express editions commercially. Do you know anything about this?
Either way, that sounds very good and I thank you for making me aware of
this. Only VS 2008 is mentioned though, so I wonder if it also applies
for VS 2010.
From: Tom Shelton on
ray wrote :
> On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:55:18 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:30:45 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
>> <raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Seriously, who codes in Linux and what platforms, IDEs, etc do they use?
>>> What language?
>>
>>> I code in C#, have done Windows Forms, WPF, Silverlight, ADO.NET,
>>> ASP.NET and some VB and Access dB programming, though I prefer ADO.NET.
>>> Getting into WCF now (SOAP) web services using REST as well. All of
>>> course under the award winning Visual Studio IDE. I'm using VS 2008 but
>>> might upgrade to VS 2010.
>>
>>> Seriously, why would ANYBODY code in Linux? Why? You can port
>>> Silverlight to Linux. I think in theory ASP.NET is platform neutral as
>>> well.
>>
>> Anything you develop on a windows visual language is throwaway code. Use
>> it and toss it. Don't ever expect any of it to run anywhere else, even
>> on a future version of your current visual language.
>
> Amen. I still recall the chaos when we 'upgraded' visual hell.

You certainly have never used any VS since VS6 then... I have code
that I wrote first in VS2002 that opened, compiled, and runs in VS2010.
It has been that way through all versions...

--
Tom Shelton