From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 13-05-2010 13:43, Jackie wrote:
> On 5/13/2010 18:59, The Big Ticket wrote:
>> Jackie wrote:
>>> Also, if you ever want to develop commercial applications, you must
>>> purchase Visual Studio. A hobbyist developer wanting to try to earn
>>> some money with his creations may not want to pay �999+ for it before
>>> he's even making any money.
>>
>> This is not correct.
>>
>> <http://www.microsoft.com/express/support/support-faq.aspx>
>>
>> <copied>
>>
>> How much will these products cost?
>>
>> Effective April 19th, 2006, all Visual Studio Express Editions are free
>> permanently. This pricing covers all Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions
>> and Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions including Visual Basic, Visual
>> C#, Visual C++, Visual J# (only available in Visual Studio 2005
>> Express), and Visual Web Developer as well as all localized versions of
>> Visual Studio Express.
>>
>> Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?
>>
>> Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built using
>> Visual Studio Express Editions.
>>
>> <end copy>
>
> I was sure I learned a few years back that you could *not* use the free,
> Express editions commercially. Do you know anything about this?
> Either way, that sounds very good and I thank you for making me aware of
> this. Only VS 2008 is mentioned though, so I wonder if it also applies
> for VS 2010.

All Express Edition - 2005 and 2008 and 2010 - has always allowed
commercial usage.

The FAQ does not seem to have been updated for 2010. But if you
check the actual license for the 2010 versions, then it does
not prohibit commercial usage.

Arne
From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 13-05-2010 13:55, Jackie wrote:
> On 5/13/2010 19:48, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>> Why would he need to buy Visual Studio? Do the heavy lifting in Linux,
>> then download Visual Studio Express to work out any last-minute Windows
>> issues.
>
> I wrote that post believing that you could (still) not use the express
> editions commercially. Please see my previous post. I stand however
> corrected now.

The first versions of Express was 2005 and they also allowed
commercial usage.

Arne

From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 13-05-2010 12:55, AZ Nomad wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:30:45 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99<raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Seriously, who codes in Linux and what platforms, IDEs, etc do they
>> use? What language?
>
>> I code in C#, have done Windows Forms, WPF, Silverlight, ADO.NET,
>> ASP.NET and some VB and Access dB programming, though I prefer
>> ADO.NET. Getting into WCF now (SOAP) web services using REST as
>> well. All of course under the award winning Visual Studio IDE. I'm
>> using VS 2008 but might upgrade to VS 2010.
>
>> Seriously, why would ANYBODY code in Linux? Why? You can port
>> Silverlight to Linux. I think in theory ASP.NET is platform neutral
>> as well.
>
> Anything you develop on a windows visual language is throwaway code. Use it and
> toss it. Don't ever expect any of it to run anywhere else, even on a future
> version of your current visual language.

Not true.

C# code from .NET 1.0 should build fine on .NET 4.0.

Same for VB.NET.

C++ for .NET changed significant from 1.1 to 2.0, but that
seems to be the exception.

Arne
From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 13-05-2010 13:18, ray wrote:
> Several years ago, I was forced to use visual studio. I hated every
> minute of it. Sheer hell. So hard to do anything of any substance. I
> programmed C in Linux and was significantly more productive than the
> sheep forced into visual hell.

Not everybody likes a specific IDE.

But VS has a good reputation in general.

Arne
From: Jackie on
On 5/14/2010 03:35, Arne Vajh�j wrote:
> On 13-05-2010 12:51, Jackie wrote:
>> Also, if you ever want to develop commercial applications, you must
>> purchase Visual Studio. A hobbyist developer wanting to try to earn some
>> money with his creations may not want to pay �999+ for it before he's
>> even making any money.
>
> Not true.
>
> VS Express Editions can be used for commercial applicationst.
>
> Arne

I have already said that it was a mistake from my side. :) Thank you