From: Bill Swallow on
I started getting that error last evening whilst patching my servers. I see
that other people have posted fixes here. My solution was a bit different.
In the left hand side of the browser window, I clicked 'Change Settings'.
Then I clicked the box in the new right-hand pane for 'Remove Microsoft
Update' and then 'Apply my settings now'. That ripped out Microsoft Update
and returned me to using 'Windows Update'. I launched Windows Update (it
wanted me to install something, I said 'Yes'), and then was back at the old
familiar 'Windows Update' screen - with the link to install 'Microsoft
Update'. I reinstalled it, and it's been working fine.

Incidentally, this started (for me) sometime around midnight last night
whilst, as I said, I was in the middle of patching 72 servers.
Interestingly, none of the 30 servers I patched before the incident started
showed this error. Every one I hit after the first occurrence - every last
one- showed that same '403' error. After reloading / relinking to Microsoft
Update, it seems to be remaining stable. Going back into Microsoft Update on
a 'repaired' server does not get the 403 error again.

From: Eddie Bowers [MSFT] on
This was caused by a bad DNS record that prevented older clients from being
able to resolve to the correct address to SelfUpdate ( Upgrade to the
latest Update client. )
This has been fixed, but it will take a while to propagate to all DNS
servers.
The newer clients use a different url, so they are not affected. This is
why updating the client manually avoids the problem.
The links to the latest clients are at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

-Eddie
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on