From: sradhakr on
Barb Knox wrote:
> In article <1134713007.253164.75100(a)z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> "sradhakr" <sradhakr(a)in.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> >Barb Knox wrote:
> >
> >> If you want provability and truth to be the same, you can dispense with
> >> all the modal machinery and just use some existing well-thought-out
> >> constructive logic (e.g. Intuitionistic).
> >>
> >False. Truth and provability are *not* the same in
> >intuitionistic/constructive logics. If you claim otherwise, show me a
> >valid proof of the law of non-contradiction i.e., of ~(P&~P), in these
> >logics.
>
> OK, here's a Fitch-style Intuitionistic ND proof:
>
> 1. | P ^ ~P A
> |-------
> 2. | P 1 ^E
> 3. | ~P 1 ^E
> 4. ~(P ^ ~P) 1,2,3 RAA
>

> >Any "proof" of ~(P&~P) that you produce from contradictory
> >premises is not a valid proof in these logics.
>
> Eh? I've given a perfectly valid Intuitionistic proof. On what grounds
> do you object to it (if you do)?

*Any* proposition can be proven in intiuitionistic logic if you start
with the premise P&~P. The above "proof" is fundamentally flawed and
*should not* be accepted as a valid proof of ~(P&~P). The above "proof"
is indistinguishable from the case where you deduce an *arbitrary*
proposition (say, denoted by the "absurdity symbol") from P&~P and then
*substituted* ~(P&~P) for the absurdity symbol and claimed that as a
proof of ~(P&~P). It is obvious that any proposition can be proved that
way.

Indeed, if you think carefully, you will see that the very concept of
"proof" requires the law of non-contradiction in the first place and
you have already *presumed* ~(P&~P) in your so-called proof-- it is
totally absurd to claim an RAA proof of ~(P&~P). What you could do is
to make a straightforward, bald assertion of ~(P&~P) without claiming
to prove it. But that would violate the intuitionistic philosophy of
truth as provability. See the reference that I have cited in my earlier
post for my objections to ~(P&~P) as a theorem of a theory T in which P
is undecidable (i.e., neither provable nor refutable in T).

Regards, RS

From: David C. Ullrich on
On 15 Dec 2005 12:16:35 -0800, "Charlie-Boo" <chvol(a)aol.com> wrote:

>David C. Ullrich wrote:
>> On 14 Dec 2005 18:10:58 -0800, "Charlie-Boo" <chvol(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
>> >Prove ( P = |- Q ) => |- ( P = Q )
>>
>> Various people have asked what the heck this means.
>> You should _say_ what it means, instead of replying
>> with questions.
>
>[...]
>
>> Hint: My best attempt at deciphering it leads to
>> something obviously false:
>>
>> "If P equals 'Q has a proof' then there is a
>> proof of 'P equals Q'."
>
>That's it. What was so hard about that?

Very curious - a minute ago I saw you say that it
meant something else.

>> Obviously false, since if P equals 'Q has a proof'
>> then P does not equal Q.
>
>Why is that false? (Once again, what you are so adamantly convinced of
>is just not so.)

If this is not clearly false you must be assuming that I'm
being as sloppy with the language as you are. I'm not -
when I say "equals" I mean "equals", not "is logically
equivalent to". For example, P is not equal to P&P,
although they're certainly equivalent.

Evidently from what you say elsewhere in the thread
what you really mean, and what you thought I meant,
is this:

"If P is equivalent to 'Q has a proof' then there is a
proof of 'P is equivalent to Q'."

This is also false, as has been pointed out, although
it's not quite so _obviously_ false as my first interpretation,
where I was assuming that "=" referred to equality.

Why is it false? Consider the special case where P literally
equals "Q is provable". Then your theorem implies this,
for any Q:

(*) "It is provable that 'Q is provable' is equivalent to Q."

Or, in extremely bad notation:

(*) |- (|-Q == Q)

(bad notation because the first |- means |-, while
the second |- refers to some encoding of provability...)

This is false. It contradicts the incompleteness theorem,
for example, which says that in any system satisfying this
and that there exists Q which is true but not provable.

>> So that must not be what you mean.
>
>Thanks for the vote of confidence.
>
>> >(P and Q have the same sets of free variables.) This simple theorem (I
>> >created 12/1/05) provides the link between Theory of Computation and
>> >Proof Theory (Incompleteness in Logic) that theoreticians such as
>> >myself have been looking for since the 1930's. (Each Theory of
>> >Computation theorem becomes an Incompleteness theorem in Logic,
>> >providing almost trivial formal derivation of the exact results of
>> >Godel, Rosser and Smullyan.)
>>
>> Awesome.
>
>Would it be awesome (interesting, new, useful) if it were true?
>
>C-B
>
>> >Hint: Consider the equivalent ( P = |-Q ) => ( P = |- P )
>>

>> ************************
>>
>> David C. Ullrich

************************

David C. Ullrich
From: H. J. Sander Bruggink on
sradhakr wrote:
> Barb Knox wrote:
>
>>In article <1134713007.253164.75100(a)z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>> "sradhakr" <sradhakr(a)in.ibm.com> wrote:
>>>Any "proof" of ~(P&~P) that you produce from contradictory
>>>premises is not a valid proof in these logics.
>>
>>Eh? I've given a perfectly valid Intuitionistic proof. On what grounds
>>do you object to it (if you do)?
>>
> *Any* proposition can be proven in intiuitionistic logic if you start
> with the premise P&~P.

Ok, please produce, in the same way, a proof of the
proposition P&~P, then.
(I mean "P&~P", *not* "(P&~P) -> (P&~P)".)

[snip more nonsense]

groente
-- Sander
From: H. J. Sander Bruggink on
Charlie-Boo wrote:
> Barb Knox wrote:
>
>>OK then, using some modal logic for provability and a more-common
>>logical notation, you're claiming:
>>(*) (P <-> []Q) -> [](P <-> Q).
>
> Yes, but I use the standard symbol |- for provable instead of box [].

Actually, [] is the standard symbol, not |-.

[snip]

> This seems valid. I really need only the "hint": that P = |-P.
> Since that means (|-P)=(|-Q) I thought that would imply |-(P=Q) but
> maybe not. Do you agree that P = |-P ?

NO! Provability is *not* the same as truth!

[snip]

groente
-- Sander
From: sradhakr on

H. J. Sander Bruggink wrote:
> sradhakr wrote:
> > Barb Knox wrote:

> >>Eh? I've given a perfectly valid Intuitionistic proof. On what grounds
> >>do you object to it (if you do)?
> >>
> > *Any* proposition can be proven in intiuitionistic logic if you start
> > with the premise P&~P.
>
> Ok, please produce, in the same way, a proof of the
> proposition P&~P, then.
> (I mean "P&~P", *not* "(P&~P) -> (P&~P)".)

That is precisely the point of my objection. If the claimed "proof" of
~(P&~P) is allowed to go through, then just about any proposition,
including P&~P should also be provable.

In other words, the claimed proof shows that from the hypothesis P&~P
one can conclude ~(P&~P). But from the hypothesis P&~P one can conclude
any proposition, so what is the basis for the claimed proof?

> [snip more nonsense]

??????
If you have something meaningful to say, say it. Otherwiise just keep
shut.

Regards, RS