From: Charlie-Boo on
G. Frege wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2005 01:36:20 -0800, "sradhakr" <sradhakr(a)in.ibm.com> wrote:
>

> > *Any* proposition can be proven in intuitionistic logic if you start
> > with the [assumption] P&~P.
> >
> No. That's false. But it is true that any proposition can be derived
> as a /conclusion/ from the /premiss/ P & ~P.
>
> Comment: Obviously you are not very familiar with systems
> of natural deduction. There assumptions can be "discharged".
> Hence the do not count as premisses of the final argument.
>

> > The above "proof" is fundamentally flawed and *should not* be accepted
> > as a valid proof of ~(P&~P).
> >
> Nonsense. The proof is completely valid.
>

> > [...] What you could do is to make a straightforward, bald assertion
> > of ~(P&~P) without claiming to prove it.
> >
> In logic we would call such a statement an /axiom/ then.
>
> B u t we do not have to do that, since we can actually prove the
> statement in the usual systems (calculi) of intuitionistic logic.
> (See the other posts where several proofs in several different
> systems [calculi] of intuitionistic logic have been posted.)
>

> F.

I wonder if anyone realizes what a waste of time this discussion is?
You are arguing about the syntax of propositional calculus. What could
be more trivial or less consequential? It's just case analysis.
Doesn't Resolution alone suffice as the rules of inference?
(That's what programmers often use, AFAIK.)

It's almost a variant of people attacking the syntax of a proposal
rather than addressing the substance of the idea. In that case, they
seem to want to do anything to (1) attack the proposal, and (2) not
have to do any work in the process. So they look for syntax errors and
all they talk about is the syntax and how anyone who doesn't know the
syntax shouldn't be trusted or taken seriously. Then they argue ad
nauseum about the "true meaning" of symbols.

There are plenty of mathematical results that have never been
formalized. Why not address something new rather than something so
mundane as propositional calculus?

> --
> "I do tend to feel Hughes & Cresswell is a more authoritative
> source than you." (D. Ullrich)

Gad! That is hopeless!

From: Torkel Franzen on
"Charlie-Boo" <chvol(a)aol.com> writes:

> You are arguing about the syntax of propositional calculus.

This is a misunderstanding on your part. The argument concerns the
semantics of constructive logic. The rule of ex falso quodlibet may
reasonably be held to be constructively problematic; hence the
relevance of the observation that ~(A<->~A) is provable in minimal
logic.
From: Charlie-Boo on
Torkel Franzen wrote:
> "Charlie-Boo" <chvol(a)aol.com> writes:
>
> > You are arguing about the syntax of propositional calculus.
>
> This is a misunderstanding on your part. The argument concerns the
> semantics of constructive logic. The rule of ex falso quodlibet may
> reasonably be held to be constructively problematic; hence the
> relevance of the observation that ~(A<->~A) is provable in minimal
> logic.

~(A<->~A) is a propositional calculus wff, you're talking about proving
it, and all propositional calculus proofs are simply case analysis
(examining a finite set of possiblities), which I believe is completely
implemented by resolution.

Are any of the proofs being discussed not instances of propositional
calculus wffs that can be proven by examining the truth tables (i.e.
case analysis)? These different systems are merely different syntaxes
to represent case analysis.

C-B

From: sradhakr on

G. Frege wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2005 01:36:20 -0800, "sradhakr" <sradhakr(a)in.ibm.com> wrote:
>

> > The above "proof" is fundamentally flawed and *should not* be accepted
> > as a valid proof of ~(P&~P).
> >
> Nonsense. The proof is completely valid.

While I am confused about lots of stuff concerning intuitionistic
logic. "discharging an assumption" us NOT my point of confusion here.
At the outset, note that I am NOT attacking the little details of your
formal system. When I say that the proof is "not valid",I should
clarify that I am finiding fault with it given the intuitionistic
philosophy, i.e., the intuitionistic conceptions of truth, proof and
negation. I have seen Daryl McCullough's post and your further
elaboration of another proof of ~(P&~P) and I still have the same
difficulty. Let me make one last attempt to make you see what my
objection is.

My understanding is that ALL proofs of ~(P&~P) in inutionism have to
start with the hypothesis P&~P and claim that this is absurd. this is
mandated by the intuitionistic conception of negation. The first issue
is what, precisely, is the "absurdity"? I assert that the ONLY absudity
that one can demonstrate is that an *arbitrary* proposition would
result if one allows P&~P to stand. Remember that one cannot claim that
P&~P is absurd in a pre-existing Platonic universe; that is not allowed
by the intutionistic philosophy.

Since truth=provability according to intuitionistic philosophy, one can
interpret "~(P&~P)" as "A proof of P&~P is impossible", or
equivalently, "A proof of P and a proof of ~P is impossible". So the
outline of an intuitionistic proof of ~(P&~P) would be as follows.

(1) Suppose, to the contrary, that P&~P, i.e., suppose that "Both P and
~P are provable"..

(2) The said proof of P&~P can be converted into the proof of an
arbitrary proposition Q..

(3) Therefore a proof of P&~P cannot exist. Hence, ~(P&~P).

Here is my objection. One can alter (3), equivalently in intuitionistic
logic, to the following:

(3)* Therefore, it is provable that a proof of P&~P cannot exist, and
~(P&~P) follows

The problem with deducing (3)* from (2) is as follows. One can
interpret (3)* as asserting the existence of one particular ;proof that
follows from an application of EFQ in step (2). I.e., one can interpret
step (2) as "an arbitrary proposition Q has been proven" and step (3)*
as following trivially from this interpretation. You can yell yourself
hoarse that it ain't so, the assumption (1) has been discharged before
concluding (3),, etc. But it seems to me that the formal outline of the
proof is substantially the same in both cases. At least they are *too*
similar for comfort.
Regards, RS

From: Torkel Franzen on
"Charlie-Boo" <chvol(a)aol.com> writes:

> ~(A<->~A) is a propositional calculus wff, you're talking about proving
> it, and all propositional calculus proofs are simply case analysis
> (examining a finite set of possiblities), which I believe is completely
> implemented by resolution.

This is just to say that you know nothing about constructive logic.