From: H. J. Sander Bruggink on
sradhakr wrote:
> H. J. Sander Bruggink wrote:

>>Fine, show me that proof of P&~P, then.

No answer?

>>>In other words, the claimed proof shows that from the hypothesis P&~P
>>>one can conclude ~(P&~P). But from the hypothesis P&~P one can conclude
>>>any proposition, so what is the basis for the claimed proof?
>>
>>Yes, for any proposition Q, you can prove (P&~P) -> Q.
>>What's your point?
>>

> That therefore no valid proof of ~(P&~P) should start with the
> hypothesis P&~P. Understand this point before you hit the keyboard
> again.

Please provide that proof of P&~P before *you* hit the
keyboard again.

I keep asking you, because I am confident that you'll see
your own error if you'd only try.

Hint: you'll probably come up with a proof of
[A] (P&~P) -> (P&~P),
rather than a proof of
[B] P&~P

[A] is valid, of course, but [B] isn't.

groente
-- Sander
From: G. Frege on
On 16 Dec 2005 05:56:11 -0800, "sradhakr" <sradhakr(a)in.ibm.com> wrote:

>>> That is precisely the point of my objection. If the claimed "proof"
>>> of ~(P&~P) is allowed to go through, then just about any proposition,
>>> including P&~P should also be provable.

"Unproven statements carry little weight in the world of
mathematics." - Amir D. Aczel

>> ...show me that proof of P&~P, then.

Please do it! :-)

>>> In other words, the claimed proof shows that from the hypothesis P&~P
>>> one can conclude ~(P&~P). But from the hypothesis P&~P one can conclude
>>> any proposition, so what is the basis for the claimed proof?

The basis (or a core component) is the rule ~I ("RAA").

(~I)
[A]
:
_|_
-----
~A

(Note that the assumption A is "discharged" by the application of
the rule. This is denoted in by "[ ]" here.)

Here's a variant of the given proof in Gentzen's original calculus of
natural deduction for intuitionistic logic (NJ):

(1) (1)
P & ~P P & ~P
------ &E ------ &E
P ~P
---------------- ~E
_|_
--------- ~I (1)
~(P & ~P)

Hence:

|- ~(P & ~P).

Now...

>> ...for any proposition Q, you can prove (P&~P) -> Q.

Proof (again in Gentzen's system):

(1) (1)
P & ~P P & ~P
------ &E ------ &E
P ~P
---------------- ~E
_|_
----- (absurdity rule)
-------------- ->I (1)
(P & ~P) -> Q

So...

>> ...what's your point?
>>
> That therefore no valid proof of ~(P&~P) should start with the
> hypothesis P&~P. Understand this point before you hit the keyboard
> again.

It seems that you are not very familiar with systems/calculi of
natural deduction: there you may start with *any* _assumption_
(as long as it's a wff of the system).

Please take charge of this deplorable state of affairs "before you hit
the keyboard again".

F.

--
"I do tend to feel Hughes & Cresswell is a more authoritative
source than you." (D. Ullrich)
From: G. Frege on
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:52:27 +1300, Barb Knox <see(a)sig.below> wrote:

> OK, here's a Fitch-style Intuitionistic ND proof:
>
> 1. | P ^ ~P A
> |-------
> 2. | P 1 ^E
> 3. | ~P 1 ^E
> 4. ~(P ^ ~P) 1,2,3 RAA

This is...

> ...a perfectly valid Intuitionistic proof.

Right.

F.

From: Torkel Franzen on
"sradhakr" <sradhakr(a)in.ibm.com> writes:

> But what, precisely, is the "absurdity" that you deduce
> from P&~P, in order to conclude ~(P&~P) in the claimed proof?

P and ~P.

> The fact
> that you can deduce an arbitrary proposition from P&~P?

Completely irrelevant, since we deduce ~(P&~P) without assuming
any such fact.
From: sradhakr on

G. Frege wrote:

> "Unproven statements carry little weight in the world of
> mathematics." - Amir D. Aczel
>

> >> ...show me that proof of P&~P, then.
> >>

> Please do it! :-)

> The basis (or a core component) is the rule ~I ("RAA").
>
> (~I)
> [A]
> :
> _|_
> -----
> ~A
>
> (Note that the assumption A is "discharged" by the application of
> the rule. This is denoted in by "[ ]" here.)
>
> Here's a variant of the given proof in Gentzen's original calculus of
> natural deduction for intuitionistic logic (NJ):
>
> (1) (1)
> P & ~P P & ~P
> ------ &E ------ &E
> P ~P
> ---------------- ~E
> _|_
> --------- ~I (1)
> ~(P & ~P)
>
> Hence:
>
> |- ~(P & ~P).
>
> Now...
> >>
> >> ...for any proposition Q, you can prove (P&~P) -> Q.
> >>

> Proof (again in Gentzen's system):
>
> (1) (1)
> P & ~P P & ~P
> ------ &E ------ &E
> P ~P
> ---------------- ~E
> _|_
> ----- (absurdity rule)
> -------------- ->I (1)
> (P & ~P) -> Q
>
> So...
> >>
> >> ...what's your point?
> >>
> > That therefore no valid proof of ~(P&~P) should start with the
> > hypothesis P&~P. Understand this point before you hit the keyboard
> > again.
> >
> It seems that you are not very familiar with systems/calculi of
> natural deduction: there you may start with *any* _assumption_
> (as long as it's a wff of the system).
>
> Please take charge of this deplorable state of affairs "before you hit
> the keyboard again".

My dear "G. Frege", You are very good at parrotting the status quo and
loudly proclaiming its validity. But I am asking you to *use your own
brain* and think about what you have written above. See my reply to
Torkel Franzen to understand what my problem is. In short, what does
the "absurdity" or "_|_" stand for in your "proof" of ~(P&~P)? The
fact that you can deduce an arbitrary proposition from P&~P? If you
refuse to explain what _|_ is, you have done little more than a bald
assertion of ~(P&~P), without proof. If _|_ means that "An arbitrary
proposition Q follows" (from the truth of P&~P), then you have used
EFQ and your "proof" becomes indistinguishable from one in which you
*subsititute* ~(P&~P) for _|_ ( or more precisely the proposition Q
that _|_ entails). i.e., what you are saying is, _|_ follows, so any
propoisition Q follows, and in particular, ~(P&~P) follows.

Regards, RS.