From: H. J. Sander Bruggink on
sradhakr wrote:
> H. J. Sander Bruggink wrote:
>
>>sradhakr wrote:

>>>*Any* proposition can be proven in intiuitionistic logic if you start
>>>with the premise P&~P.
>>
>>Ok, please produce, in the same way, a proof of the
>>proposition P&~P, then.
>>(I mean "P&~P", *not* "(P&~P) -> (P&~P)".)
>>

> That is precisely the point of my objection. If the claimed "proof" of
> ~(P&~P) is allowed to go through, then just about any proposition,
> including P&~P should also be provable.

Fine, show me that proof of P&~P, then.

> In other words, the claimed proof shows that from the hypothesis P&~P
> one can conclude ~(P&~P). But from the hypothesis P&~P one can conclude
> any proposition, so what is the basis for the claimed proof?

Yes, for any proposition Q, you can prove (P&~P) -> Q.
What's your point?

>>[snip more nonsense]
>>

> ??????
> If you have something meaningful to say, say it. Otherwiise just keep
> shut.

I apologize. It was not nice of me to call you nonsense
"nonsense". :-)

groente
-- Sander
From: sradhakr on

H. J. Sander Bruggink wrote:

> sradhakr wrote:
> > H. J. Sander Bruggink wrote:

> >>Ok, please produce, in the same way, a proof of the
> >>proposition P&~P, then.
> >>(I mean "P&~P", *not* "(P&~P) -> (P&~P)".)
> >>

> > That is precisely the point of my objection. If the claimed "proof" of
> > ~(P&~P) is allowed to go through, then just about any proposition,
> > including P&~P should also be provable.
>
> Fine, show me that proof of P&~P, then.
>

> > In other words, the claimed proof shows that from the hypothesis P&~P
> > one can conclude ~(P&~P). But from the hypothesis P&~P one can conclude
> > any proposition, so what is the basis for the claimed proof?
>
> Yes, for any proposition Q, you can prove (P&~P) -> Q.
> What's your point?

That therefore no valid proof of ~(P&~P) should start with the
hypothesis P&~P. Understand this point before you hit the keyboard
again.

> >>[snip more nonsense]
> >>

> > ??????
> > If you have something meaningful to say, say it. Otherwiise just keep
> > shut.
>
> I apologize. It was not nice of me to call you nonsense
> "nonsense". :-)

????
Read what I wrote above.

Regards, RS

From: Torkel Franzen on
"H. J. Sander Bruggink" <bruggink(a)phil.uu.nl> writes:

> In other words, the claimed proof shows that from the hypothesis P&~P
> one can conclude ~(P&~P). But from the hypothesis P&~P one can conclude
> any proposition, so what is the basis for the claimed proof?

Your comments are based on a confusion. The assumption P&~P is
discharged in the derivation. Ex falso quodlibet is not used.

From: Torkel Franzen on
"sradhakr" <sradhakr(a)in.ibm.com> writes:

> In other words, the claimed proof shows that from the hypothesis P&~P
> one can conclude ~(P&~P). But from the hypothesis P&~P one can conclude
> any proposition, so what is the basis for the claimed proof?

Your comments are based on a confusion. The assumption P&~P is
discharged in the derivation. Ex falso quodlibet is not used.

(Apologies for earlier misattributed version.)
From: sradhakr on
Torkel Franzen wrote:
> "sradhakr" <sradhakr(a)in.ibm.com> writes:
>
> > In other words, the claimed proof shows that from the hypothesis P&~P
> > one can conclude ~(P&~P). But from the hypothesis P&~P one can conclude
> > any proposition, so what is the basis for the claimed proof?
>
> Your comments are based on a confusion. The assumption P&~P is
> discharged in the derivation. Ex falso quodlibet is not used.
>
> (Apologies for earlier misattributed version.)

Ex falso quodlibet is not directly used, I agree. But EFQ *could* be
used to deduce just about whatever we want from P&~P. So an assertion
of P&~P as a hypothesis is in principle the same as asserting an
arbitrary proposition Q. So is it surprising that Q could in
particular, be ~(P&~P)? You might argue that the actual proof doesn't
run this way. But what, precisely, is the "absurdity" that you deduce
from P&~P, in order to conclude ~(P&~P) in the claimed proof? The fact
that you can deduce an arbitrary proposition from P&~P? If so, that is
a tacit use of EFQ, and invalidates the conclusion of ~(P&~P) from the
same hypothesis P&~P, or so I claim. Let me know what you think.

Regards, RS