From: George Dishman on

"sean" <jaymoseley(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi George
> About an earlier point you made..
>
> (George quote)
> The radius of Jupiter is about 71,500 km while the radius of
> Io's orbit is 421,600km. That means that its motion is almost
> transverse at the time of a transit, the component of the
> speed directed towards Earth is reduced to only 2.98 km/s so
> the time difference is only 0.05s
> (George unquote)
>
> What you calculate above isnt the difference between Jupiters
> max speed away from earth and its minimum but rather the
> difference between Ios speed and Jupiters speed relative to
> earth, depending on whether or not Io is orbiting towards earth
> or away from earth around jupiter.

Actually this earlier paragraph did that:

"George Dishman" <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Jim Greenfield" <jgreen(a)seol.net.au> wrote in message
>>
>> I don't know what the time difference in the 'signal' time interval
>> would be for Io due to c-v as it is regressing from earth, and c+v as
>> it approaches, but I think it would only be of the order 1 second, not
>> 1,000.
>
> Not a bad guess :-) The orbital speed of Io is 17.34 km/s
> so the time difference between approaching and receding is
> about 0.3s. However, that is when the motion of Io is
> directly towards or away from the Earth.

The one you quote is for the speed at the start
and end of a transit.

> Of course that would be much
> smaller than the difference between Jupiters max speed away
> from earth and its minimum speed away from earth.

Surprisingly, no, it is considerably larger. Io's
speed around Jupiter is faster than Jupiter's
speed round the Sun. See below.

> So your
> above point is irrelevent isnt it? Shouldnt one be calculating
> the difference between the max speed that Jupiter is moving
> away from earth and the minimum speed it is moving away from
> earth and then calculate how many more seconds this difference
> in speed would be for a non sr wave to travel to earth would be?

It depends on how you are going to make the
measurement.If you could compare the time delays
about 0.9 days apart, you get a simpler measurement
because the planetary motions have changed little
in that time and are common. Jim's earlier
paragraph described that so I followed his lead.

The trouble though is that you have to accurately
determine when Io is moving directly towards or
away from you which is very difficult. Roemer's
measurements, and those Stan has to work with, are
for transits, the time when Io crosses the edge of
Jupiter's disc which leads to the much smaller time
difference I calculated in the second paragraph.

> I can only rough calculate but it seems that if lets say if Jupiter
> were moving away from earth at 1,000k/s faster at its fastest speed

Jupiter's mean orbital speed is only 13.07 km/s.
Even Mercury manages less than 48km/s! (As an
exercise, you might like to find the orbital radius
at which the speed would be 1000km/s and compare it
to the radius of the Sun.)

> away from earth than its fastest speed towards earth then this
> would give a 1000 second difference as Stan says. In other words
> if the difference between Jupiters speed relative to Earth was
> 1000k/s then that would be the difference Stan needs?

The speed of Earth is 29.79 km/s so with a bit of
trig I find the maximum speed of Jupiter measured
radially from a point on the Earth's orbit is
2.52km/s. That maximum happens when the line from
Jupiter to the Earth is a tangent to the Earth's
orbit.

The distance from Earth to Jupiter at that time is
5.1AU which means that, when Jupiter is ahead of the
Earth and we are catching it up, the light would take
0.0215s longer than SR suggests to reach us. while it
would take then same amount less when we have passed
Jupiter and it is chasing us about half a year later,
a total difference of only 0.043s.

The effect of Io's orbital motion is about seven
times larger at peak speed and still slightly larger
even between the start and end of a transit.

Stan's calculation is valid but it is just repeating
Roemer's calculation of the speed of light. It proves
Ralph Sansbury wrong but not SR.

George

From: George Dishman on

"bz" <bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote in message
> "George Dishman" <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:d21o60$lo6$1
> @news.freedom2surf.net:
>

>> Turn slowly around in a circle, say in ten seconds.
>> The Andromeda Galaxy is about 2 to 3 million light
>> years away. In a coordinate frame that rotated with
>> you, the galaxy and all the light in it moved about
>> 15 million light years in ten seconds.
>
> Amazing, and the angular momentum of all that supraluminal mass was
> concerved too.
>
> I suspect that if I was on a rotating platform with equipment to measure
> the speed of light from the Andromeda Galaxy... I would find that it still
> moves at c.
>
> The earth is such a platform.
>
> However, I get your point.

Cool.

> It appears that you have just demonstrated that unlike linear motion,
> where
> there is no absolute frame of reference, where rotation is concern, there
> is an absolute frame of reference and radial velocities must be measured
> with respect to THAT frame of reference.

Yes, SR is a simplification because it works
with inertial frames, although you can handle
acceleration with care, centrifugal forces and
all that, but it treats acceleration as absolute.
I believe GR does away with that and can even
handle acceleration as relative but I don't know
it well enough to be sure.

HTH
George

From: PD on

kenseto wrote:
> "PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > kenseto wrote:
> > > "bz" <bz+sp(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote in message

> > observed
> > different

> > varying
> > sets off
> > from
> > reach me
> > dopplar
> > same
> > >
> > > I assume that you mean that the fire cracker is at rest wrt the
> > ground when
> > > it goes off. In that case there is no Doppler shift. The fire
cracker
> > on the
> > > car would be Doppler shifted. The sound generated by that fire
> > cracker would
> > > be closer to the detector with the passage of incremental time
and
> > this is
> > > the cause of the doppler shift. There is no valid way to measure
the
> > speed
> > > of sound from a moving fire cracker because there is no valid way
> > measure
> > > the distance between the fire cracker and the detector at rest
when
> > the fire
> > > cracker generate the first sound wave.
> >
> > Oh, good Lord. I can't believe you said such a thing. Never mind
light.
> > First pick up a book and learn what causes the Doppler effect in
sound.
> > Jiminy. Whoowhee.
>
> Hey idiot....what do you think that causes Doppler shift?? Hint:
Changing
> distance with time between the source and the detector. Therefore the
> observed Doppler shift can be interpreted as that the speed of sound
(or
> light) arriving from a moving source is different than that if the
source
> and the detector are at rest wrt each other. This conclusion is based
on the
> assumption that the wave length remain constant whether the sound (or
light)
> wave is generated by a stationary source or a moving source wrt the
> detector.
>
> Ken Seto

No, what causes Doppler shift is that successive wavefronts are closer
together because the source is moving in the same direction as the
wavefronts. However, the wavefronts are still traveling at the same
speed as they would for a stationary source. The speed is the same, but
the wavelength (the distance between wavefronts) is smaller, and
therefore the frequency is higher.

Next!

PD

From: Henri Wilson on
On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:10:05 -0000, "George Dishman" <george(a)briar.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>"Henri Wilson" <H@..> wrote in message

>>>As we have discussed before, ballistic theory is
>>>disproved by the Sagnac Experiment.
>>
>> Bull. The reason for the fringe shift has nothing to do with light speed.
>> It is due to the fact that the mirrors rotate slightly during the time
>> light
>> travels between them. The two opposite beams are deflected in opposite
>> directions.
>
>We went over that last time. You got the
>geometry wrong, the beams are deflected
>such that they maintain the angle between
>them at the interferometer.

No they don't.
Just draw a simple diagram.

The angular deflection of the beam at each miror is double the angular change
of the mirror during the travel time.
For three mirrors, the total angular difference is 16 x rotation during total
light travel time.

Like I said, whether c or c+v is used is of little consequence.

>You also talked of the curvature of the
>paths in the rotating frame but the effect
>of that on the path length is second order
>and the same for both directions so it
>cancels out. We have been over all of this
>before and you never came up with a workable
>explanation.

Don't use the rotating frame. There is too much room for misinterpretation.

>> Note: A fibre ring is like an infinite number of mirrors with an
>> infiniteimal
>> angular change at each one. Same effect overall.
>
>Except that the effect on the path length
>of the deflection is second order so the
>limit of an infinite number of infinitesimal
>deviations is zero.
>
>Sorry Henri, Ritzian theory unquestionably
>predicts no output in the Sagnac Experiment
>and yet it exists. Go ahead and show your
>calculations if you think you can explain
>how the first order output arises.

Let the light travel time around the four mirror system be 10 ns.

An apparatus rotation of (2pi/3600) radians/hour (0.1 deg/hr) should result in
a deflection difference between the two beams of 12 x 3 (m) x 10/3600/10^8
metres/sec.

That is 10^-9 m/sec.

or 0.001 um.

~ 500 x wavelength?

How wide is a fringe?

>George

HW.
www.users.bigpond.com/hewn/index.htm

Sometimes I feel like a complete failure.
The most useful thing I have ever done is prove Einstein wrong.
From: Henri Wilson on
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 23:29:16 GMT, Sam Wormley <swormley1(a)mchsi.com> wrote:

>Henri Wilson wrote:

>>> The speed of light is constant.
>>

>> 'c' is a universal constant.
>>
>> Light moves at 'c' wrt its source.
>>

> And light moves at 'c' wrt its observers!

And which experiment demonstrates that?