From: Sam Wormley on
kenseto wrote:

> ...successive wave crests remains the same distance apart in the ether.

Physics Today 57(7) 40 (2004)
http://physicstoday.org/vol-57/iss-7/p40.shtml
No aether

That's bullshit, registered at crank dot net, Seto!
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Ken+H.+Seto%22+site%3Awww.crank.net

The speed of light is *independent* of its wavelength and frequency.
Determined empirically. In all these years of posting, Seto makes no progress
in physics whatsoever--and apparently chooses to wallow in his own ignorance
and stooopidity.

Thank you, Seto for registering at crank dot net.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Ken+H.+Seto%22+site%3Awww.crank.net

From: Sam Wormley on

From: nbmaia@gmail.com on
You need to remember that SR not only says that time will change when
observed by different reference frames at different speeds but also the
distance will change. The speed of the light being the distance divided
by time will remain constant (when in vacuum).

From: PD on

kenseto wrote:
> "PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > kenseto wrote:
> > > "PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
<ewill(a)sirius.athghost7038suus.net>
> > wrote

> > is a
> > and

> > from

> > universe
> > of

> > one
> > >
> > > All objects in the universe (including the earth) are in a state
of
> > absolute
> > > motion.
> >
> > And you know this how? Given any 19,475 objects in the universe,
> > demonstrate that it cannot be the case that 19,474 of them are
> > absolutely moving and 1 of them is not.
>
> Sigh....All objects are observed to be moving wrt us and the universe
is
> observed to be in a state of accelerated expansion. Therefore all
objects in
> the universe are in a state of moving.

Oh, come on. My coffee cup is not moving with respect to the table. And
just because the *center* of the next galaxy happens to be moving with
respect to the *center* of this galaxy does not mean that every star in
that galaxy is moving with respect to our sun. I'll give you a simple
example. I'm driving along a road at 20 mph and I throw my Mickey-D's
French Fry wrapper backwards out the window at 20 mph. Is the wrapper
moving or not, and with respect to what?

I'll give you another example. Suppose I look at the relative motion of
all the dots painted onto a balloon that is inflating. But the balloon
is also resting on the table, and one of the painted dots is precisely
at the point of contact between the table and the inflating balloon.
Note that, as the balloon inflates, ALL of the dots are in a state of
relative motion, including the one at the point of contact. But if the
table defined zero velocity, there is one dot that is not moving, even
though it has the same relative motion status as all the other dots on
the balloon.

It is simply NOT an empirical fact that everything is moving relative
to everything else, and it is also thus an improper conclusion from
that that everything is in a state of *absolute* motion.

[Punchline: I'm not arguing with you that everything is in a state of
motion. For every object, one can choose an inertial frame where that
object is in motion, and since all inertial frames are physically
equivalent, there is no object that can be said to be absolutely at
rest. However, is it your improper logical jump that everything is
therefore absolutely in motion. Rather, the proper statement is that
there is *no such thing* as absolute motion or absolute rest. It is
simply not the case that every object in the universe MUST be logically
categorizable as absolutely at rest or absolutely in motion. Your
logical misstep is based on this presupposition, which is in fact
wrong.]

> > > Observed relative motion for two objects A and B is the vector
> > > components difference of the vector component of A's absolute
motion
> > and the
> > > vector component of B's absolute motion along the line joining A
and
> > B.

> > > No ....you would not be able to do that.
> >
> > Why not? Suppose I determine the absolute velocity of the Earth
using
> > your experiment below, and I measure the relative velocity of any
> > object with respect to the Earth using YOUR algorithm (and I
quote):
> > "Observed relative motion for two objects A and B is the vector
> > components difference of the vector component of A's absolute
motion
> > and the vector component of B's absolute motion along the line
joining
> > A and B."
> > Now I algebraically solve for the absolute motion of that object.
Now I
> > repeat for other objects, and in the process, rank them by their
> > absolute motion. Why can I not do this?
>
> You can determine the vector component of B's absolute motion this
way. But
> you would not know the true magnitude of B's absolute motion.

OK, and here is where your computational weakness is showing through.
First of all, your definition of observed relative motion is incorrect.
If I have a passenger on Train A and a passenger on Train B, and the
two trains are going in opposite directions at 45 mph each on adjacent
tracks. At the moment where the two passengers are directly across from
each other (at their point of closest approach), their relative
velocity with respect to each other is 90 mph. However, the component
of their relative velocity along the line joining them is zero.
There are other problems as well, but let's take it one error at a
time.

PD

From: kenseto on

"Tom Roberts" <tjroberts(a)lucent.com> wrote in message
> kenseto wrote:
> > I think these are one-way isotropy experiments. OWLS is isotropic but
the
> > value of OWLS is not c.
>
> It is not mathematically possible for OWLS to be isotropic and have a
> value different from TWLS, which is known to be c for any
> locally-inertial measurement (including numerous highly-accurate
> laboratory measurements).

For a specific distance of separation between the two synchronized clocks
OWLS can be measured to be the same in all directions (isotropic). However,
the value of OWLS is not c because of the absolute motion of the distant
clock is in the vertical direction. This causes the first portion of the
light ray to miss the detector and thus the distant clock will register a
larger arrival time for the light ray. This means that the value of OWLS is
dependent on the distance of separation between the two clocks.

Ken Seto