From: kenseto on

"Jerry" <Cephalobus_alienus(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> kenseto wrote:
> > "Tom Roberts" <tjroberts(a)lucent.com> wrote in message
>
> > > ... I can say that there have been no reliable and reproducible
> > > experiments or observations that contradict SR within its
> > > domain of applicability.
> >
> > That's because mainstream physicists refuse to do experiments
> > that could potentially contradict SR. For example:
>
> > 1. Test for OWLS with two same frame spatially separated and
> > synchronized clocks.
>
> One-way light speed from moving sources has been measured many
> times. The results are quite unambiguous. The speed is always c.
>
> Alvaeger, Farley, Kjellman and Wallin,
> Physics Letters 12, 260 (1964)
>
> Babcock and Bergmann,
> Journal Opt. Soc. Amer. Vol. 54, p. 147 (1964)
>
> Beckmann and Mandies,
> Radio. Sci. 69D (1965), p623.
>
> Brecher,
> Phys. Rev. Lett. 39 1051-1054, 1236(E) (1977)
>
> Filipas and Fox,
> Phys. Rev. 135, 1071 B (1964)
>
> Sadeh,
> Phys. Rev. Lett. 10 no. 7 (1963)

I think these are one-way isotropy experiments. OWLS is isotropic but the
value of OWLS is not c.

Ken Seto

From: PD on

kenseto wrote:
> "PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > kenseto wrote:
> > > "PD" <pdraper(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > of a

> > and
> > 'bang'
> > car
> > is
> > the

> > cracker
> > and
> > the
> > when

> > light.
> > sound.
> > >
> > > Hey idiot....what do you think that causes Doppler shift?? Hint:
> > Changing
> > > distance with time between the source and the detector. Therefore
the
> > > observed Doppler shift can be interpreted as that the speed of
sound
> > (or
> > > light) arriving from a moving source is different than that if
the
> > source
> > > and the detector are at rest wrt each other. This conclusion is
based
> > on the
> > > assumption that the wave length remain constant whether the sound
(or
> > light)
> > > wave is generated by a stationary source or a moving source wrt
the
> > > detector.
> > >
> > > Ken Seto
> >
> > No, what causes Doppler shift is that successive wavefronts are
closer
> > together because the source is moving in the same direction as the
> > wavefronts. However, the wavefronts are still traveling at the same
> > speed as they would for a stationary source. The speed is the same,
but
> > the wavelength (the distance between wavefronts) is smaller, and
> > therefore the frequency is higher.
>
> No, successive wave crests remains the same distance apart in the
ether. The
> absolute motion of the detector moving toward the wave crests or away
from
> the wave crests is what causes the Doppler shift.
> All observers measure the same speed of light because the speed of
light is
> a constant math ratio as follows:
> Light path length of rod (299,792,458m)/the absolute time content for
> clock second co-moving with the rod.

You made this same claim about sound waves (the firecracker on the car)
-- that successive wave crests remain the same distance apart in the
medium -- which is what I was correcting, as it is demonstrably wrong.

Note that a diffraction grating works because of the matching between
light's wavelength and the physical distance between artifacts in the
grating. If what you were saying were true, then Doppler-shifted light
(say, shifted from blue to green) would be scattered at the same angle
as unshifted light. This is empirically hooey.

PD

From: Sam Wormley on
Henri Wilson wrote:

> However nobody has ever measured the OW light speed from a moving source.

Henri Wilson forgets that the speed of light is a *defined* constant
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/SpeedofLight.html

And that that the constancy of the speed of light (even one way) is constantly being
verified by the global positioning system (GPS) 24/7--Moving sources, Henri!

And historically there is a body of OWLS experiments
Ref: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/experiments.html#one-way%20tests

3.2 One-Way Tests of Light-Speed Isotropy
Note that while these experiments clearly use a one-way light path
and find isotropy, they are inherently unable to rule out a large
class of theories in which the one-way speed of light is
anisotropic.These theories share the property that the round-trip
speed of light is isotropic in any inertial frame, but the one-way
speed is isotropic only in an ether frame. In all of these theories
the effects of slow clock transport exactly offset the effects of the
anisotropic one-way speed of light (in any inertial frame), and all
are experimentally indistinguishable from SR. All of these theories
predict null results for these experiments. See Test Theories above,
especially Zhang (in which these theories are called "Edwards
frames").

Cialdea, Lett. Nuovo Cimento 4 (1972), p821.
Uses two multi-mode lasers mounted on a rotating table to look for
variations in their interference pattern as the table is rotated.
Places an upper limit on any one-way anisotropy of 0.9 m/s.

Krisher et al., Phys. Rev. D, 42, No. 2, pp. 731-734, (1990).
Uses two hydrogen masers fixed to the earth and separated by a 21 km
fiber-optic link to look for variations in the phase between them.
They put an upper limit on the one-way linear anisotropy of 100 m/s.

Champeny et al, Phys. Lett. 7 (1963), p241.

Champeney, Isaak and Khan, Proc. Physical Soc. 85, p583 (1965).

Isaak et al, Phys. Bull. 21 (1970), p255.
Uses a rotating Moessbauer absorber and fixed detector to place an
upper limit on any one-way anisotropy of 3 m/s. [one part in 10^8]

From: Tom Roberts on
kenseto wrote:
> I think these are one-way isotropy experiments. OWLS is isotropic but the
> value of OWLS is not c.

It is not mathematically possible for OWLS to be isotropic and have a
value different from TWLS, which is known to be c for any
locally-inertial measurement (including numerous highly-accurate
laboratory measurements).

kenseto, you _REALLY_ need to learn the basics.

Tom Roberts tjroberts(a)lucent.com
From: Sam Wormley on
kenseto wrote:
Sam Wormley wrote:

> Until there is credible evidence that they are wrong, they remain
> the tools of choice in their domains. To find something wrong and
> understanding the reason will be very exciting!
>

> That's because mainstream physicists refuse to do experiments that could
> potentially contradict SR.

That not true--there have been tens of thousands of experiment that could
have knocked of SR, but didn't!

Crank Seto forgets that the has *never* been a prediction of SR that was
contradicted by and observation. And that SR and GTR are continually
used by the global positioning system (GPS) 24/7.

We thank Seto for registering at crank dot net.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Ken+H.+Seto%22+site%3Awww.crank.net