From: John Johnson on
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:16:34 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:24:21 -0600, John Johnson wrote:
>
>> When I reset tools, the spell check icon goes away
>
>If you mean a toolbar button, yes, the toolbar is reset,
>so just "customize" it (add any buttons) again.
>
>Meanwhile, the standard menu item (and keyboard shortcut)
>never go away:

ON reset the spell icon does not come back the others do
Have to manually add it but it doesnt do any good

just noticed if a highlight a obvious mispelled work, and right mouse
click on it I get a number of alternative spellings.

>"Edit" > "Check Spelling" (Ctrl+6)
>
>If "Check spelling Automatically as you type" is enabled,
>this also continues, all the time, which somewhat elminates
>the need to perform the spell check manually.
No that doesnt have any effect one way or another. mispelled words
are underlined in red but not corrected.
What are the files that run the spell check?
From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 02:30:21 -0600, John Johnson wrote:

> On reset the spell icon does not come back the others do
> Have to manually add it but it doesn't do any good

"Goodness" is too non-technical a concept for me to understand :)

>> If "Check spelling Automatically as you type" is enabled,
>> this also continues, all the time, which somewhat elminates
>> the need to perform the spell check manually.

> No that doesnt have any effect one way or another.
> misspelled words are underlined in red but not corrected.

[...]

> just noticed if I highlight a obvious mispelled word,
> and right mouse click on it
> I get a number of alternative spellings.

This sounds like a very useful discovery.

You don't need to even bother highlighting,
just right-click a "red-lined" word,
as mentioned on page 55 of the manual, downloadable from:

http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/manuals.html/

Quoting the manual:

Checking Your Spelling Automatically
(Sponsored and Paid modes only)

Automatic spell check is the inline spell check feature of Eudora.
If automatic spell check is turned on,
misspelled words are underlined in the message body
after you type them and press the spacebar.

To correct the word or display a drop-down word list
from which to choose the correct word, right-click the underlined word.

From: John Johnson on
Well, it just starting working, have no idea way
From: Old Eudora User on
On Nov 15, 6:53 am, John Johnson <cha...(a)pacbell.net> wrote:
> "Well,  it just starting working,  have no idea way"

- - - - - -
Like you. John, I've been using Eudora (paid mode) for years, and am
sitting on the final Qualcomm release (v7.1.0.9). And also like you,
it has been working fine under Windows 7 (64-bit) for months.

Unfortunately, also like in your case, out of the blue a day or two
ago Eudora spell checker started freezing. It is unpredictable,
happening only on some or in fact most messages. (But ,strangely, not
every single one. Sometimes the misspelled word display the red
squiggly underlining and the alternative spellings can be handled
correctly via the context menu of alternative spellings following
which the message can be sent off.)

When the freezing occurs, the first misspelled work (in the Subject
line, or the message body) is reverse highlighted. Then exactly like
you described, you cannot right-click on that misspelled word to get a
pop-up list of alternatives. Eudora has by then become completely
frozen, and the only thing you can do is terminate the eudora.exe task
via Windows Task Manager.

I can usually exit Eudora gracefully by using the Exit option in the
System Tray icon, which then prompts me to save (so I don't lose any
typed text). This doesn't always seem to work though, so I have to
kill the eudora.exe task using Windows task manager (and then lose any
entered text of course). In fact, even if I successfully exit and
save, I find eudora.exe still running so always have to kill it
anyway. Weird, eh?

I've done nothing at all deliberate to change Eudora in any way, this
just started happening all by itself. It MIGHT be a case of corrupted
Eudora file or files (one of the .tlx files, for example), I've had
that happen occasionally over the years. It's certainly not easy to
determine the cause. Could it be some change in Windows 7 (say,
following an automatic Windows update)? Could it be some other
application that is now in some way interfering with Eudora?

I'm bamboozled! I don't have a clue what has caused this to start
happening, some I'm just wildly guessing at the moment. Maybe a
Windows 7 update changed something or other and I've only noticed this
strange behavior since rebooting earlier today (I usually go into
Sleep mode, and reboot only every few days).

Maybe it was something else entirely different. It's hard to diagnose,
as you found, an it's extremely disruptive because I'm heavy e-mail
user.

I'm thinking of doing a re-installation of Eudora (which I know from
bitter experience can have its own issues), but am holding off trying
this for the moment.

I hope mind "just starts working" again like in your case.
..... Cheers, Tony Austin
..... CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 20:06:48 -0600, Old Eudora User wrote:

> I've done nothing at all deliberate to change Eudora in any way, this
> just started happening all by itself. It MIGHT be a case of corrupted
> Eudora file or files (one of the .tlx files, for example)

To find out, try moving the "user" dictionaries somewhere else,
and also look at each dictionary's "word count" line
(the first non-comment line in the file) for anomalies.

> I'm thinking of doing a re-installation of Eudora
> (which I know from bitter experience can have its own issues)

What sort of bitter experience?

All that the installer does is to refresh the program files,
and possibly to alter one line in file "Deudora.ini"
(the line which remembers your choice for where your mail is kept).

People who can't find their mail after repeating an install
have usually just given a different answer to that question
than they did originally, which is easily fixed,
even though it may be a shock not to see one's original
mail and settings, upon first launching Eudora.

FWIW, Eudora's spell check engine is Wintertree Software's
spell32.dll library (version 4.21)