From: NotesTracker on
On Nov 24, 7:34 pm, "John H Meyers" <jhmey...(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

> I do not know.  Does anyone else have this problem,
> or can you find a fellow sufferer via internet searching?
## The only fellow suffer I found is in this forum page!
##
> Various "usual suspects" include anti-virus programs (or suites)
> and other software -- even errant device drivers.
## Yeah, I know. The average desktop PC these days
## is more complicated (in most ways) than the IBM System/370
## announced just after I joined IBM in 1970.
##
> Investigating these suspects is, unfortunately, a matter
> of one at a time disabling, then see what happens.
## Groan, very hard to do when you have pressing commitments!
##
> > I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate (which I find rather nice).
> > Glad you have enough bits on hand to run it :) The "advisor"
> > tells me to forget it, which I'm perfectly happy to agree with.
## What I meant by this was more that I'm pleasantly surprised
## that Eudora still works well in this environment (except for
## this latest problem, which I doubt is Windows 7's fault).
##
> Is the first you've mentioned Windows 7?
## Not sure what you meant by this...
##
> Does your "Data" path in "Help" | "About Eudora"
> have anything to do with where program files are normally stored?
## I've always kept them in the same path since I started wit Eudora,
## never caused me any problems so far. Are you perhaps suggesting
## they should be in quite separate paths?
##
> Reminder to the world:  This ain't no good in Windows,
> has been bad ever since Windows 2000,
> and is now punishable by real malfunctions.
## Yeah, maybe, but it's got the bulk of the market,
## and it's what all my customers use, so ...

From: John H Meyers on
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 08:08:53 -0600, NotesTracker wrote:

>> Is the first you've mentioned Windows 7?

> Not sure what you meant by this...

That you hadn't before mentioned your Windows version, I suppose.

>> Does your "Data" path in "Help" | "About Eudora"
>> have anything to do with where program files are normally stored?

> I've always kept them in the same path since I started with Eudora,
> never caused me any problems so far. Are you perhaps suggesting
> they should be in quite separate paths?

Well, yes:
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=43025

It may or may not affect your immediate symptom,
but you may well encounter other effects.

>> Reminder to the world: �This ain't no good in Windows,
>> has been bad ever since Windows 2000,
>> and is now punishable by real malfunctions.

> Yeah, maybe, but it's got the bulk of the market,
> and it's what all my customers use, so ...

By "this" I meant doing the thing above.
But now that you mention it, don't use Windows either :)

"I've been adding a few drops of nitro to every tank of gas for years,
never caused me any problems so far..." ;-)

From: NotesTracker on
Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather!

Guess what, John (Meyers)? After several days of tearing my hair out,
wondering why on earth why the spell checker was locking up for no
apparent reason, today when I tried it everything was back to normal.

I have no idea what went wrong, and even less idea why things have
righted themselves. There must be a reason for the failure (and the
recovery), but your guess is as good as mine. Thanks for offering your
opinions and advice, anyway, John.

BTW, one of your points was about where I have my Eudora data folder.
In fact, I've always the Eudora program folder on my D: drive, with
the Eudora data folder as a sub-folder of that. This has worked well
for me over the years, since I've been able to re-install various
versions of Windows on the C: drive (and other versions of Windows in
dual-boot mode on other drives too) and have been able to get them all
to work with that same location of of Eudora (even when the occasional
catastrophic disk problem has caused the C: drive to be lost).

One of the reasons I like Eudora is that it's relatively easy to
understand the program elements and to manage/reinstall individual
data folders, unlike the monolithic PST files used by Outlook for
example. Actually, I was using Eudora for a couple of years before
Windows 95 and Outlook appeared on the scene, and after testing
Outlook have always given it a wide berth. One shortcoming, though, is
that there's a huge range of third-party apps that have been designed
to interface with Outlook, that always ere unavailable for Eudora
(even before Qualcomm recommitted further development).

But luckily the X1 search (for Paid mode) added late in its life
turned Eudora into an extremely competent productivity tool, and I'm
quite happy to keep living with it... Despite the very occasional
inscrutable bouts of behavior like this bizarre spell checker problem,
which suddenly reared its ugly head and then just as suddenly went
away (at least, I hope that it has gone away).

One day, Penelope or Eudora 8 or some other e-mail suite might entice
me away from Eudora 7 -- but I'm in nor rush to switch due to the
uncertainly about whether they're as functional. Enough said, for the
moment.
From: John H Meyers on
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:43:43 -0600, NotesTracker wrote:

> Guess what, after several days of tearing my hair out,
> wondering why on earth why the spell checker was locking up for no
> apparent reason, today when I tried it everything was back to normal.

The same as said "John Johnson," in the last post on November 14, 2009,
just before your problem began (whom you quoted, in your first post).

So it's evidently just a "cold spell" being passed around -- others can get
a shot of C2H5OH vaccine, and may be protected for the duration of Winter :)

From: Ajo Wissink on
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 02:41:48 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:43:43 -0600, NotesTracker wrote:
>
>> Guess what, after several days of tearing my hair out,
>> wondering why on earth why the spell checker was locking up for no
>> apparent reason, today when I tried it everything was back to normal.
>
>The same as said "John Johnson," in the last post on November 14, 2009,
>just before your problem began (whom you quoted, in your first post).
>
>So it's evidently just a "cold spell" being passed around -- others can get
>a shot of C2H5OH vaccine, and may be protected for the duration of Winter :)

Most days I take a dose of it at both lunch and dinner and haven't
had a cold in years.
--
Ajo Wissink