From: Swifty on
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:56:34 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
<lws4art(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>And you alternative is? Before CSS using HTML attributes was even *more*
>UA-dependent.

Well, before CSS, Opera styled its table border in a way I liked, so I
didn't have a problem. CSS came along, but wasn't immediately
necessary. Then Opera changed its table border colours for something
much darker, and the chase was afoot. I can lighten the border with
CSS (and do), but the dark side remains too dark for me. It's not
quite enough to push me into the Internet Explorer camp.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
From: Jonathan N. Little on
Swifty wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:56:34 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
> <lws4art(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And you alternative is? Before CSS using HTML attributes was even *more*
>> UA-dependent.
>
> Well, before CSS, Opera styled its table border in a way I liked, so I
> didn't have a problem. CSS came along, but wasn't immediately
> necessary. Then Opera changed its table border colours for something
> much darker, and the chase was afoot. I can lighten the border with
> CSS (and do), but the dark side remains too dark for me. It's not
> quite enough to push me into the Internet Explorer camp.

Opera has supported CSS for 12 years, but anyway "Opera styled its table
border in a way I liked" so? Not everyone uses Opera, in fact most
everybody uses something else. CSS or via HTML attribute you were
*never* guaranteed that the ridge, groove, inset, or outset border would
look exactly the same to all your visitors. You are designing for your
site's visitors, not for yourself right?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: dorayme on
In article <ninbt59km0t5pptr578ps3n68bic9qimln(a)4ax.com>,
Swifty <steve.j.swift(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, before CSS, Opera styled its table border in a way I liked,

Which surely was not much use from a public internet point of
view, how many people in your local pub used or use Opera?

--
dorayme
From: Norman Peelman on
dorayme wrote:
> In article <ninbt59km0t5pptr578ps3n68bic9qimln(a)4ax.com>,
> Swifty <steve.j.swift(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, before CSS, Opera styled its table border in a way I liked,
>
> Which surely was not much use from a public internet point of
> view, how many people in your local pub used or use Opera?

I'm not wasting any time in a pub on the internet! ;)

--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062
From: Norman Peelman on
Swifty wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 06:30:59 -0400, Norman Peelman
> <npeelman(a)cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> didn't realize the op wanted to alter the two 'halves' of a border
(light/dark)

> Nevertheless, Norman, it was your suggestion that led me almost
> directly to the w3.org article that makes it obvious that the ultimate
> choice of colours is made by the browser, and beyond my control. Thank
> you.
>
> It's nice to know that something can be done; it gives you the
> fortitude to persist until you find a solution.
> But it is often much better to find out (or be told) that it cannot be
> done, so you can stop wasting your (and everyone else's) time.

No problem, but it seems like it would be trivial to implement as
they are values that need to be created/assigned to properties. Those
properties just need to be exposed to the user.

ie:

borderColorLight
borderColorDark

borderColorLightLeft,Right,Top, and Bottom
borderColorDarkLeft,Right,Top, and Bottom