From: Ulick Magee on
GSA wrote:

> I just wanted to add that I want dual boot and have readied to install
> suse on the 57GB drive only. Also, I checked yeatarday that in its
> default suggestion, the install is bringing ionto picture other Win XP
> drives as Shrink /hd/sda1.../windows/c . I am scared of anything
> happening to WinXP as all my data is there.

You should always backup anything you don't want to lose before doing a
linux install/upgrade (as you should while doing a Windows upgrade) even
if your data is supposed to be safe, it's better to be sure.

Last time I did an installation I meant to keep my /home partition
untouched and only format / , but one click in the wrong place and /home
got formatted. That would have been a disaster with no backup, but the
only thing I lost was the ~30 mins it took to restore all the data from
my backup.

I started with *S[Uu]SE [*] at version 9.1 and have been through most of
the ones since, so I've got some sort of an idea what I'm doing, but
that doesn't guarantee I won't make a mistake.

You really should be doing backups on a regular basis anyway. External
hard drives are cheap.

[*] That's just a little joke to include all the changes in its name
over the years and keep houghi happy :)

--

Ulick Magee

Free software and free formats for free information for free people.
Open Office for Windows/OSX/Linux: http://www.openoffice.org
openSUSE Linux: http://en.opensuse.org
From: J. van der Waa on
GSA wrote:
> I am not understanding how to install suse linux on XP and stuck at
> partitioning.
> Details:
> -- XP partitions are
> c drive - 30GB
> d drive 68.3
> e drive 78.1
> f drive 57
>
> What i did:
> I freed/formatted f drive to install linux there. I ran defragmentor
> on all drives except c. I disable Paging(no paging file)
> I ran suseLinux setup in bootmode. Somehow the 57 GB partition got
> deleted on XP aftre this. I had actually tried to resize and format,
> but installation had failed resulting in this. When I ran install
> again, I now see entries of
> *********************
> total - 200+GB
> c drive - 30GB ntfs
> d drive 68.3 extended
> d drive 68.3 ntfs
> e drive 78.1 ntfs
> f drive 57 linux native
> *****************
> After this , I tried Create(Expert partitioning) -> fails saying
> primary and extended partitions are already there
> I tried LVM - added /, /usr, /swap. This was not taken saying /boot is
> absent.
>
> Surprisingly, I took screenshot and tried to save and found all root,
> boot and all folders on save dialog on browsing!
>
> I am totally confused and donot know how to proceed. Any clues/help is
> highly useful.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> GSA
Of course you will not see the F-drive any more in XP, Suse is using a
different file system and Windows (any version) will not understand
those formats out of the box.

Joost
From: GSA on
On Jul 29, 2:57 am, "J. van der Waa"
<Joost.vander....(a)whipethishccnet.nl.invalid> wrote:
> GSA wrote:
> > I am not understanding how to install suse linux on XP and stuck at
> > partitioning.
> > Details:
> > -- XP partitions are
> > c drive - 30GB
> > d drive 68.3
> > e drive 78.1
> > f drive 57
>
> > What i did:
> > I freed/formatted f drive to install linux there. I ran defragmentor
> > on all drives except c. I disable Paging(no paging file)
> > I ran suseLinux setup in bootmode. Somehow the 57 GB partition got
> > deleted on XP aftre this. I had actually tried to resize and format,
> > but installation had failed resulting in this. When I ran install
> > again, I now see entries of
> > *********************
> > total - 200+GB
> > c drive - 30GB ntfs
> > d drive 68.3 extended
> > d drive 68.3 ntfs
> > e drive 78.1 ntfs
> > f drive 57 linux native
> > *****************
> > After this , I tried Create(Expert partitioning) -> fails saying
> > primary and extended partitions are already there
> > I tried LVM - added /, /usr, /swap. This was not taken saying /boot is
> > absent.
>
> > Surprisingly, I took screenshot and tried to save and found all root,
> > boot and all folders on save dialog on browsing!
>
> > I am totally confused and donot know how to proceed. Any clues/help is
> > highly useful.
>
> > Thanks in advance,
> > GSA
>
> Of course you will not see the F-drive any more in XP, Suse is using a
> different file system and Windows (any version) will not understand
> those formats out of the box.
>
> Joost- Hide quoted text -

But now i see that that F drive has become linux native when i try to
install suse. I can resize this, but donot know how to add swap. Also
unsure if I need to have /boot and /home to be created manually. Of
the buttons - Create,Edit,Delete,Resize,LVM,RAID,Expert.
If I use create, I get an ereor saying about primary partition.
Refards,
GSA
From: J. van der Waa on
houghi wrote:
> <snip>
>> But now i see that that F drive has become linux native when i try to
>> install suse. I can resize this, but donot know how to add swap.
>
> Normally this would be done by openSUSE. Perhaps the easiest is to
> remove the F drive, then all should be done automagically.
>
>> Also
>> unsure if I need to have /boot and /home to be created manually. Of
>> the buttons - Create,Edit,Delete,Resize,LVM,RAID,Expert.
>> If I use create, I get an ereor saying about primary partition.
>
> The easiest is to remove the F drive in Windows and then install
> openSUSE. It should use the empty space and format it the way it
> automagically does. Probably 2GB swap, 20GB / and the rest /home.
>
> **AWLAYS CHECK THE PROPOSAL***
>
> If you want to do it yourself, go to place where you can do the
> formatting.
> Delete the last partition (probably sda6 or something like that)
> Go one step back to sda and add:
> 1) 1GB swap
> 2) 15GB mount point "/" as filesystem Ext4
> 3) All the rest mount pount "/home" as filesystem Ext4
> 4) Mount the NTFS partitions with edit as (mount, do not format)
> /media/c
> /media/d
> /media/e
>
> Linux looks at the partitions in a more logical way. All partitions are
> part of the main directory /. This means it does not know c:, d: or any
> of the like.
>
> The first HD will be sda, the second sdb and so on.
> The first partition on the first drive will be sda1, the second sdb1.
>
> houghi
As I wrote somewhere else in this discussion: you probably have to
create the 4th partition as extended (and don't format it), As far as I
know there is a limitation to the number of partitions.
You can create an extended partition from Windows, jus don't format it.
After that, just accept the proposal of Suse, as far as I can remember
it will recognize the extended partition and use it to the full.

The last tricky thing might be the bootloader, I have had mixed
experiences with this: in many cases Grub was installed fine, but in
some cases (especially Vista/Windows 7) it ended in a non bootable
windows partition (nothing wrong with the windows install itself...).
Luckily you will be able to restore such a partition (and remove Grub as
a bootloasder) with the Windows install CD. If you haven't got such a
CD, just download from http://www.superwin.com/xp-recovery-cd/index.htm
(or similar sites).

Joost
From: David Bolt on
On Monday 02 Aug 2010 22:21, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> J. van der Waa wrote:
>> As I wrote somewhere else in this discussion: you probably have to
>> create the 4th partition as extended (and don't format it), As far as I
>> know there is a limitation to the number of partitions.
>
> There is enough info. From the GP posting:
> total - 200+GB
> c drive - 30GB ntfs
> d drive 68.3 extended
> d drive 68.3 ntfs
> e drive 78.1 ntfs
> f drive 57 linux native
>
> For me that looks as if there already is an extended partition.

There is. The OP marked it as the first "d drive" above.

>> You can create an extended partition from Windows, jus don't format it.
>> After that, just accept the proposal of Suse, as far as I can remember
>> it will recognize the extended partition and use it to the full.
>
> Could be that I misread it.

No, you didn't. Without using third-party tools, Windows seems to be
incapable of creating multiple primary partitions. Any additional
partitions it creates on a drive results in an extended partition being
automatically created[0] for the new partitions.

> So let's wait for feedback from the GP.

Almost a week ago, the OP mentioned not being able to have a system
boot because he tried creating the partitions using LVM. I did reply
then[1], although looking back I did miss something when I gave
instructions on how to lay out the logical volumes. I suggested
deleting the "f drive" and making two partitions, one for /boot of
about 120-160MB. The other was to take up the remainder of the free
space. What I forgot to mention was that the OP needed to make sure the
partition type was set to LVM so that he could use the LVM manager part
of the partitioner to create the logical volumes.

Unfortunately, the OP is posting through Google groups and, because
they're filtered out of my newsfeed, I'd not seen any followups until
this branch of the thread appeared.

[0] Unless the version of Windows is suitably advanced enough to
support GPT partitioning.

[1] Message-ID: <3247530.fNgDl1cbOH(a)dev.null.davjam.org>

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net