From: David Bolt on
On Wednesday 04 Aug 2010 15:11, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> David Bolt wrote:
>> [0] Not sure why but every so often something sucks up all the first
>> 4GB of swap space, and then some, before giving it back. When this
>> happens, the system starts getting a little unresponsive and, if I
>> don't add the extra, the desktop eventually becomes unusable. With it,
>> there is a noticeable lag but the desktop remains usable.
>
> Run top then press 'O' (capital letter o) followed by 'p' then 'enter'.
> Now processes should be sorted by their swap usage.

You're thinking 'F' to pick the sort field. Following it with 'p' does
show swap usage. Unfortunately, there's a lot of memory shared between
processes, so it only gives an idea how much is used but not exactly
how much swap usage is really due to a specific process.

I know this because my swap usage is now 1475592k but top shows
soffice.bin using 1.9G, one instance of Konqueror using 1GB, Firefox
using 981M and one instance of Chrome using 818M. There's several other
applications where top is showing usage of more than 300M.

> Also look at http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/18990.html and
> scroll down to "swappiness" where it says:
> I notice that by setting it to 10, the system uses much less swap memory
> than before.

I've considered that. The default is 60

> Swap is evil. Time to look out for (yet another) computer. ;-)

One of my others died recently so I got a new board, X3 435 and a 2GB
stick for it. The board can handle 16GB, but at the moment I won't be
swapping over to it quite yet. A test run under full load showed that
the cooling was way too inadequate, taking only 3 minutes running the
distributed.net client on all three cores to get to a CPU temperature
of 69C. Until it gets a water cooling system installed, it's going to
stay doing the as job as the system it "replaced", namely a database,
news and web server.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
| | openSUSE 11.3RC2 32b |

From: VWWall on
Kevin Miller wrote:
> houghi wrote:
>>
>> (OMG, why is all my memory used and nothing in swap? <Panic> )
>
> It's where all those exploits hide. Since anyone can see the code,
> anybody can find bugs and slip in malicious code. Much harder to
> exploit an OS you don't have the source code for! That's why I'm going
> back to CP/M...

Just in case you need it, I have the source code for CP/M 2.2.

--
Virg Wall
From: David Bolt on
On Wednesday 04 Aug 2010 19:58, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> David Bolt wrote:
>>> Run top then press 'O' (capital letter o) followed by 'p' then 'enter'.
>>> Now processes should be sorted by their swap usage.
>>
>> You're thinking 'F' to pick the sort field. Following it with 'p' does
>> show swap usage.
>
> Nonono. It is O, not F. Look at the HUGE difference between the two. ;-)

It's not that huge. There's only 4 keys between them, on my keyboard at
least :-)

>> Unfortunately, there's a lot of memory shared between
>> processes, so it only gives an idea how much is used but not exactly
>> how much swap usage is really due to a specific process.
>
> You could always edit the output. Otherwise try out htop. Perhaps that
> gives more info.

Interesting. It shows the virtual size, but not swap usage.

>> I know this because my swap usage is now 1475592k but top shows
>> soffice.bin using 1.9G, one instance of Konqueror using 1GB, Firefox
>> using 981M and one instance of Chrome using 818M. There's several other
>> applications where top is showing usage of more than 300M.
>
> If it is available, why NOT use it? As you say your memry is not enough,
> so what happens, I assume, is you start your PC and it starts filling
> memory. That fills up, so Linux starts looking for swap. It writes out
> the 10MB of swap. Then the next program, it looks and uses the next 10MB
> of swap.

That's as I'd expect it...

> Then when all is full, it starts overwriting.

although I'd expect that from another OS rather than Linux.

>> I've considered that. The default is 60
>
> Yes. Not sure if it will help, but worth a try and easy to do.

Going to try doing some tests with it. Just need to remember to
correctly set it when rebooting. and that isn't all that frequently, so
I think I'll have to write it on a post-it note or I'll forget.

>>> Swap is evil. Time to look out for (yet another) computer. ;-)
>>
>> One of my others died recently so I got a new board, X3 435 and a 2GB
>> stick for it. The board can handle 16GB, but at the moment I won't be
>> swapping over to it quite yet. A test run under full load showed that
>> the cooling was way too inadequate, taking only 3 minutes running the
>> distributed.net client on all three cores to get to a CPU temperature
>> of 69C. Until it gets a water cooling system installed, it's going to
>> stay doing the as job as the system it "replaced", namely a database,
>> news and web server.
>
> I used to have air cooling. I had a LOT of fans in it. All small fans
> running at a low speed. System was pretty cool and pretty silend. I now
> have watercooling and the system is a bit warmer, but also a LOT
> noisier as the fan of the watercooling runs at full speed. I must see if
> I can replace that one.

Bigger fans usually run at a lower speed and so produce less noise. And
when this machine had a water cooling system fitted, the noise level
dropped quite a lot.

> I must say that I am a bit disapointed in the watercooling. A good CPU
> cooler does it just as well for a lower price, as long as you have
> enough ventilation in the system.

I'm considering rack mounting most of my systems and adding some water
cooling systems[0] as, even with additional fans, I can't seem to get
adequate cooling with just air cooling and it's sometimes hard to keep
their temps below 55-60C while under load.

[0] Actually been considering this for years, just not yet got round to
doing it.

Regards,
David Bolt

From: mjt on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:36:35 +0100
David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:

> > Hmmm. I currently have running on my desktop (KDE):
> > Chromium, Firefox (only running FF to try to induce
> > VMEM) OpenOffice Writer, Claws Mail, a couple of
> > Konsoles open, and Picasa 3.6 (via WINE). I run
> > "vmstat" and we see: swpd=0 swap si=0 so=0
>
> That's seriously lightweight compared to mine. I have 18 desktops all
> in use.

It all comes down to how a person works. I never
have a need for 16 browser windows with 74 tabs
or 53 Konsole tabs in 15 windows ... I'd be way
overwhelmed with all that running :)

My policy is to run something when required ...
when "its" finished, it gets canned.

--
Real Users hate Real Programmers.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: David Bolt on
On Wednesday 04 Aug 2010 22:34, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> David Bolt wrote:
>> Going to try doing some tests with it. Just need to remember to
>> correctly set it when rebooting. and that isn't all that frequently, so
>> I think I'll have to write it on a post-it note or I'll forget.
>
> Reread the page. It gives the `cat` command. At the end is says:
> The above code will set the value temporarily. To set it permanently so
> that it takes effect on each boot, edit the /etc/sysctl.conf file and
> add the line:
> vm.swappiness=10

I noticed that as well, but I'd still need to remember to check the
values as I was testing them out to find out what works best for me.

>> Bigger fans usually run at a lower speed and so produce less noise.
>
> I have fans running at 337, 644 and 712 and almost do not hear them.

That's slow. Even my large 12cm fans don't run that slow, and the 8cm
fans run a lot faster.

> Combination of small and large ones. I also have one running at 2721 and
> that is the one for the water cooler and it is a larger one.

You able to drop the speed? Mine has the ability to go from about 1000
to 2600rpm, but I keep it running full speed. The other systems more
than drown out any noise it makes.

>> And
>> when this machine had a water cooling system fitted, the noise level
>> dropped quite a lot.
>
> Not here. And not by default due to the fan running at a higher RPM.

Interesting.

>> I'm considering rack mounting most of my systems and adding some water
>> cooling systems[0] as, even with additional fans, I can't seem to get
>> adequate cooling with just air cooling and it's sometimes hard to keep
>> their temps below 55-60C while under load.
>
> If you go rack mount, you could go rack cabinets with aiconditioning.

I could. A friend has suggested that I rig up to a wall mounted
radiator and link several water cooled systems together. Provide a much
bigger body of water for them to heat up, so it shouldn't get that hot.
And in winter it could provide an extra heat source for when it gets
cold. Not sure how well that would work though. Asked him to look up
similar home brew systems to see what they did and how well they
worked, or even if they were feasible.

Regards,
David Bolt