From: David Bolt on
On Wednesday 04 Aug 2010 21:49, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
mjt painted this mural:

> On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 13:36:35 +0100
> David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:
>
>> > Hmmm. I currently have running on my desktop (KDE):
>> > Chromium, Firefox (only running FF to try to induce
>> > VMEM) OpenOffice Writer, Claws Mail, a couple of
>> > Konsoles open, and Picasa 3.6 (via WINE). I run
>> > "vmstat" and we see: swpd=0 swap si=0 so=0
>>
>> That's seriously lightweight compared to mine. I have 18 desktops all
>> in use.
>
> It all comes down to how a person works. I never
> have a need for 16 browser windows with 74 tabs

22 browser windows in total, and 90 tabs if you add the three browser
totals together :-)

> or 53 Konsole tabs in 15 windows ... I'd be way
> overwhelmed with all that running :)

Each has a separate purpose, and most are in use either as remote
shells, watching logs, or other stuff. Some I could kill off, but I'd
only end up reopening them again.

> My policy is to run something when required ...
> when "its" finished, it gets canned.

So is mine, except my definition of "finished with a window/tab" is
when I click on the log out button and leave my desktop :-)

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
| | openSUSE 11.3RC2 32b |

From: Bernd Felsche on
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
>David Bolt wrote:

>> Going to try doing some tests with it. Just need to remember to
>> correctly set it when rebooting. and that isn't all that frequently, so
>> I think I'll have to write it on a post-it note or I'll forget.

>Reread the page. It gives the `cat` command. At the end is says:
>The above code will set the value temporarily. To set it permanently so
>that it takes effect on each boot, edit the /etc/sysctl.conf file and
>add the line:
>vm.swappiness=10

>> Bigger fans usually run at a lower speed and so produce less noise.

>I have fans running at 337, 644 and 712 and almost do not hear them.
>Combination of small and large ones. I also have one running at 2721 and
>that is the one for the water cooler and it is a larger one.

>> And
>> when this machine had a water cooling system fitted, the noise level
>> dropped quite a lot.

>Not here. And not by default due to the fan running at a higher RPM.

>> I'm considering rack mounting most of my systems and adding some water
>> cooling systems[0] as, even with additional fans, I can't seem to get
>> adequate cooling with just air cooling and it's sometimes hard to keep
>> their temps below 55-60C while under load.

>If you go rack mount, you could go rack cabinets with aiconditioning.

Artificial intelligence conditioning? :-)

Nobody's mentioned inlet air temperatures.

The other thing that can be managed is humidity. If inlet air is
kept at between 18 and 24�C and 60 to 80% RH, then there is plenty
of thermal capacity available to minimise the temperature rise of
air moving through the equipment.

If there is a *spot* inside the system where it gets much hotter,
then there's an underlying design, construction or operational
problem. It _may_ be OK if the temperature is cycled frequently
but few electronic devices in the consumer/commercial market are
designed to cope with thermal cycling.

As for quiet and cool rack cabinets, they can be very expensive and
quite inefficient to operate. An ordinary rack cabinet with
removable side panels and front and back doors can be silenced
effectively by sealing gaps, closing unnecessary openings and
applying noise damping pads to the larger panel sections. Larger
panel sections will tend to act as acoustic emitters of
structure-borne vibration - originating from components bolted in
the rack. Removable panels should therefore be attached with
compliant fixtures to minimise the transmission of energy to the
panels.

Ventilation openings should be oriented so that noise sources have
no direct path out of the cabinet and primary reflections of
possible noise out of the box are on "silenced" surfaces.

Noise reductions in excess of 10 dBA can be achieved with little
effort and at low capital cost.

Cabinet ventilation fans are usually cheap and noisy. Even in
expensive racks. Such fans can be replaced with psycho-acoustically
quiet ones which are usually more efficient ad more reliable. One
should aim for sufficient airflow so that its average temperature
rise through the cabinet is about 6�C. That's a rule of thumb.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an
X against HTML mail | answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
/ \ and postings | --HL Mencken
From: Vahis on
On 2010-08-05, houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
> Bernd Felsche wrote:
>> Artificial intelligence conditioning? :-)
>
> Yeah. :-D
>
>> Nobody's mentioned inlet air temperatures.
>>
>> The other thing that can be managed is humidity. If inlet air is
>> kept at between 18 and 24°C and 60 to 80% RH, then there is plenty
>> of thermal capacity available to minimise the temperature rise of
>> air moving through the equipment.
>
> I understand that and for me that is part of airconditioning. It not
> only adds or removes heat. It can also add or remove humidity, dust,
> odor, ...
>
>> As for quiet and cool rack cabinets, they can be very expensive and
>> quite inefficient to operate. <snip>
>
> The obvious better way would be to have a seperate room and aircondition
> that. That would be my ideal solution. Make a room the size of a broom
> closet, put airco and a rack mount in there.
>
> Then have a KVM for, well keyboard, video and mouse. Best run that over
> IP. Then also have a sort of NAS, but with a DVD/writer and USB
> connectors run also over IP.
>
> As the IP could be wireless, all you need is cables for your sound and
> you are done.

Sound can be (mine is) wireless, too :)

> All I now need is a house to put it in and the money to buy it.

House is good. I'd like to have one of my own, too.

I'm aiming to this one:
http://kuluttaja.etuovi.com/omakotitalo/espoo/14648

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) 2.6.34-12-default
From: Ron Gibson on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 21:52:07 -0700 (PDT), GSA <gsa.wrk(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>The reason why I could not create swap was already 3 extended LVs were
>present in my Win. During suse install, I could not add swap as it
>said already partitions were available. Now I donot know how to add
>one. Any link to steps will be useful.

Download and make a GParted CD. Do the disk layout before you install
the OS next time. This requires you understand the standard maximum is
4 Primary partitions per HD, with the 4th Primary usually reserved to
be a container for an extended partition that you can add additional
partitions/logical drives. This is the key to understanding Linux
partition designation.

/dev/hda ---> refers to the entire disk or MBR
/dev/hda1 ----> First Primary
/dev/hda2 ----> Second Primary
/dev/hda3 -----> Third Primary
/dev/hda4 ----> First Primary or Primary/Extended
/dev/hda5 ---> First Logical drive in extended partition == windoze D:
/dev/hda6 ---> Second Logical Drive == windoze E:

--
....Stabbed 14 times, shot 3 times, worst case of suicide ever
From: Bernd Felsche on
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:

>Bernd Felsche wrote:
>> Artificial intelligence conditioning? :-)

>Yeah. :-D

>> Nobody's mentioned inlet air temperatures.
>>
>> The other thing that can be managed is humidity. If inlet air is
>> kept at between 18 and 24°C and 60 to 80% RH, then there is plenty
>> of thermal capacity available to minimise the temperature rise of
>> air moving through the equipment.

>I understand that and for me that is part of airconditioning. It not
>only adds or removes heat. It can also add or remove humidity, dust,
>odor, ...

Computers don't do well in dry air. It tends to accummulate a static
charge. Moisture content allows the charge to dissipate.

It takes a more-than-usual airconditioning system to also control
humidity. i.e. one that costs about as much as the equipment being
protected. Possibly plumbing to a mains water supply if the
conditioned room leaks air.

Dust is usually not a problem with modern computers; unless it's
caked onto ventilation grilles, fans or heatsinks. A couple of
servers that I manage had suprisingly-little dust build up inside
after 4 years of operation in an open-plan, carpeted office
environment.