From: GSA on
On Aug 3, 4:15 am, David Bolt <blacklist...(a)davjam.org> wrote:
> On Monday 02 Aug 2010 22:21, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
> houghi painted this mural:
>
> > J. van der Waa wrote:
> >> As I wrote somewhere else in this discussion: you probably have to
> >> create the 4th partition as extended (and don't format it), As far as I
> >> know there is a limitation to the number of partitions.
>
> > There is enough info. From the GP posting:
> > total - 200+GB
> > c drive - 30GB ntfs
> > d drive 68.3 extended
> > d drive 68.3 ntfs
> > e drive 78.1 ntfs
> > f drive 57 linux native
>
> > For me that looks as if there already is an extended partition.
>
> There is. The OP marked it as the first "d drive" above.
>
> >> You can create an extended partition from Windows, jus don't format it..
> >> After that, just accept the proposal of Suse, as far as I can remember
> >> it will recognize the extended partition and use it to the full.
>
> > Could be that I misread it.
>
> No, you didn't. Without using third-party tools, Windows seems to be
> incapable of creating multiple primary partitions. Any additional
> partitions it creates on a drive results in an extended partition being
> automatically created[0] for the new partitions.
>
> > So let's wait for feedback from the GP.
>
> Almost a week ago, the OP mentioned not being able to have a system
> boot because he tried creating the partitions using LVM. I did reply
> then[1], although looking back I did miss something when I gave
> instructions on how to lay out the logical volumes. I suggested
> deleting the "f drive" and making two partitions, one for /boot of
> about 120-160MB. The other was to take up the remainder of the free
> space. What I forgot to mention was that the OP needed to make sure the
> partition type was set to LVM so that he could use the LVM manager part
> of the partitioner to create the logical volumes.
>
> Unfortunately, the OP is posting through Google groups and, because
> they're filtered out of my newsfeed, I'd not seen any followups until
> this branch of the thread appeared.
>
> [0] Unless the version of Windows is suitably advanced enough to
> support GPT partitioning.
>
> [1] Message-ID: <3247530.fNgDl1c...(a)dev.null.davjam.org>
>
> Regards,
>         David Bolt
>
> --
> Team Acorn:www.distributed.net
>                   |                   | openSUSE 11.3RC2 32b |
> openSUSE 11.1 64b | openSUSE 11.2 64b |                      |
> openSUSE 11.1 PPC | TOS 4.02          | RISC OS 4.02         | RISC OS 3.11

Dear all,
After reading all these suggestions, i went ahead and installed suse
on 50GB. I first deleted that partition, then in /sda, pressed Create
and created 'Primary' partition. Then it asked me about swap. I said i
donot want any sway. After this installation succeeded. Yippeeeeeee

I now have 7GB wasted. looking for merging it with my linux. One more
thing is , I want WinXP default boot. Checking how to tweek that too.

Thanks for all of your kind support.

Regards,
GSA
From: David Bolt on
On Tuesday 03 Aug 2010 10:38, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> GSA wrote:
>> After reading all these suggestions, i went ahead and installed suse
>> on 50GB. I first deleted that partition, then in /sda, pressed Create
>> and created 'Primary' partition. Then it asked me about swap. I said i
>> donot want any sway. After this installation succeeded. Yippeeeeeee
>
> So after reading our sugestions, you decided not to follow them.

Well, they did and they didn't. As long as they've learnt something
from all the advice and suggestions, that's okay by me. It's annoying
when they get all sorts of useful advice and suggestions, completely
ignore everything said, and then come back because they haven't learnt
from the various followups to their questions.

>> I now have 7GB wasted. looking for merging it with my linux. One more
>> thing is , I want WinXP default boot. Checking how to tweek that too.
>
> Because you did not follow our sugestion, you have no swap, no seperate
> /home and 7GB wasted. All you needed to do was delete that partition.
> And even then, why create 50GB if 57GB was available?

That what I am curious about as well. Why delete a 57GB partition but
only create a 50GB one in its place when to do so would require a
deliberate decision to not use all of the available free space. As to
how to use it, a live CD will mean the partition can be enlarged
although, if the OP has used ext4, there may be some issues with
enlarging file system to use the extra space in the partition.

Another curiosity is about not wanting any swap. I have a 4GB system,
and which unfortunately can't take any more, and it needs swap space.
It doesn't take very long before Firefox, Konqueror and other memory
hungry applications are using up enough to make the system unusable
without swap. As for how much swap, I created a 4GB swap partition
because I didn't expect to use it all. After a few months, I created a
4GB file that can also be used for swap. Generally, after a few weeks
without a reboot, I need to add it as used swap space creaps up to
almost fill the 4GB swap partition.

> About the boot: first start looking into YaST. There is a lot that can
> be configured there.
> Then, YaST, System, Boot loader. Select Windows and click "Set as
> Default"

Editing /boot/grub/menu.lst also works, but I wouldn't recommend it for
a newbie/novice.

Regards,
David Bolt

From: Eef Hartman on
David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:
> That what I am curious about as well. Why delete a 57GB partition but
> only create a 50GB one in its place when to do so would require a
> deliberate decision to not use all of the available free space.

He _should_ use the other 7 GB to create the swap partition he did NOT
make. Swap is always usefull, especially when you wnat to use "suspend
to disk" or such.
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **
From: mjt on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 18:55:15 +0100
David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:

> Another curiosity is about not wanting any swap. I have a 4GB system,
> and which unfortunately can't take any more, and it needs swap space.
> It doesn't take very long before Firefox, Konqueror and other memory
> hungry applications are using up enough to make the system unusable
> without swap.

Hmmm. I currently have running on my desktop (KDE):
Chromium, Firefox (only running FF to try to induce
VMEM) OpenOffice Writer, Claws Mail, a couple of
Konsoles open, and Picasa 3.6 (via WINE). I run
"vmstat" and we see: swpd=0 swap si=0 so=0

--
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: GSA on
On Aug 3, 11:08 pm, Eef Hartman <E.J.M.Hart...(a)tudelft.nl> wrote:
> David Bolt <blacklist...(a)davjam.org> wrote:
> > That what I am curious about as well. Why delete a 57GB partition but
> > only create a 50GB one in its place when to do so would require a
> > deliberate decision to not use all of the available free space.
>
> He _should_ use the other 7 GB to create the swap partition he did NOT
> make. Swap is always usefull, especially when you wnat to use "suspend
> to disk" or such.
> **  Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT  **
> **  e-mail: E.J.M.Hart...(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525   **

The reason why I could not create swap was already 3 extended LVs were
present in my Win. During suse install, I could not add swap as it
said already partitions were available. Now I donot know how to add
one. Any link to steps will be useful.
Regards,
GSA