From: Tony on
Hello

I haven't got any System restore Points. Whenever I try to use System
Restore the only System Restore Point is one created as I open System
Restore. This morning I created three System restore points at hourly
intervals however when I looked, just now, they have all gone & I have only
one and that one created as I opened the program. I'm running Win XP SP3 &
have allocated 12% of my hard disk (nearly 6GB) for System Restore. For
quite a while I had only been able to use System Restore to restore in Safe
Mode & now I can't even do that. Any ideas please?

Tony

From: Daave on
Tony wrote:
> Hello
>
> I haven't got any System restore Points. Whenever I try to use System
> Restore the only System Restore Point is one created as I open System
> Restore. This morning I created three System restore points at hourly
> intervals however when I looked, just now, they have all gone & I
> have only one and that one created as I opened the program. I'm
> running Win XP SP3 & have allocated 12% of my hard disk (nearly 6GB)
> for System Restore. For quite a while I had only been able to use
> System Restore to restore in Safe Mode & now I can't even do that.
> Any ideas please?

Presumably, you have a 50GB hard drive? If so, how much free space is on
there? (If there is more than one partition on this drive, report the
sizes and amount of free space on each.)

Also, note that certain programs interfere with System Restore (e.g.,
Zone Alarm and Norton). For more info:

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

Some people have reported success using System Restore in Safe Mode
*with Command Prompt*:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

From: SC Tom on

"Tony" <TonyBattle(a)tesco.net> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I haven't got any System restore Points. Whenever I try to use System
> Restore the only System Restore Point is one created as I open System
> Restore. This morning I created three System restore points at hourly
> intervals however when I looked, just now, they have all gone & I have
> only one and that one created as I opened the program. I'm running Win XP
> SP3 & have allocated 12% of my hard disk (nearly 6GB) for System Restore.
> For quite a while I had only been able to use System Restore to restore in
> Safe Mode & now I can't even do that. Any ideas please?
>
> Tony

Along with what Daave posted, if you are running ZoneAlarm Internet Security
Suite version 9.1.507.000, that is probably your problem. Uninstall that
version, then do a clean install of version 9.1.008.000. Back up your
security settings first, then when you install the earlier version (if you
wish to), restore those settings and you won't have to set everything up
again.
If you don't want to use ZA any more, you could always enable the Windows
firewall and download and install Microsoft Security Essentials
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ .
--
SC Tom

From: Tony on

"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
> Tony wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I haven't got any System restore Points. Whenever I try to use System
>> Restore the only System Restore Point is one created as I open System
>> Restore. This morning I created three System restore points at hourly
>> intervals however when I looked, just now, they have all gone & I
>> have only one and that one created as I opened the program. I'm
>> running Win XP SP3 & have allocated 12% of my hard disk (nearly 6GB)
>> for System Restore. For quite a while I had only been able to use
>> System Restore to restore in Safe Mode & now I can't even do that.
>> Any ideas please?
>
> Presumably, you have a 50GB hard drive? If so, how much free space is on
> there? (If there is more than one partition on this drive, report the
> sizes and amount of free space on each.)
>
> Also, note that certain programs interfere with System Restore (e.g., Zone
> Alarm and Norton). For more info:
>
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>
> Some people have reported success using System Restore in Safe Mode *with
> Command Prompt*:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

Thank you. The hard disk is nearer 240GB and contains 6 partitions. I give
below the sizes of each partition followed by the used space & then the free
space. As you can see I've got lots of free space on each partition.

Partition 1 with OS 45GB used 21GB free 24GB
2 165 66
99
3 4 1
3
4 2 1
1
5 20 11
9
6 3 1
2

It is interesting you mentioned Zone Alarm as I am using Zone Alarm Internet
Security Suite but this hasn't "lost" restore point in the past

I have always had to run System Restore in Safe Mode but then I had restore
points to use; now I've lost those and as I said in my original post even
those restore points I created today have vanished. I've made a note of the
MS article 304449.

Tony

From: Daave on
Tony wrote:
> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>> Tony wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I haven't got any System restore Points. Whenever I try to use
>>> System Restore the only System Restore Point is one created as I
>>> open System Restore. This morning I created three System restore
>>> points at hourly intervals however when I looked, just now, they
>>> have all gone & I have only one and that one created as I opened
>>> the program. I'm running Win XP SP3 & have allocated 12% of my
>>> hard disk (nearly 6GB) for System Restore. For quite a while I had
>>> only been able to use System Restore to restore in Safe Mode & now
>>> I can't even do that. Any ideas please?
>>
>> Presumably, you have a 50GB hard drive? If so, how much free space
>> is on there? (If there is more than one partition on this drive,
>> report the sizes and amount of free space on each.)
>>
>> Also, note that certain programs interfere with System Restore
>> (e.g., Zone Alarm and Norton). For more info:
>>
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>>
>> Some people have reported success using System Restore in Safe Mode
>> *with Command Prompt*:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
>
> Thank you. The hard disk is nearer 240GB and contains 6 partitions. I
> give below the sizes of each partition followed by the used space &
> then the free space. As you can see I've got lots of free space on
> each partition.
> Partition 1 with OS 45GB used 21GB free 24GB
> 2 165 66
> 99
> 3 4 1
> 3
> 4 2 1
> 1
> 5 20 11
> 9
> 6 3 1
> 2

Unfortunately, the above table is very difficult to read!

> It is interesting you mentioned Zone Alarm as I am using Zone Alarm
> Internet Security Suite but this hasn't "lost" restore point in the
> past

Ah ha!

Refer to SC Tom's post then. It sounds like you are running the
messed-up version.

In my opinion, Zone Alarm isn't even necessary; I wouldn't run it.