From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>That's wrong. People should indeed Cross-Post.

| I don't agree. Different newsgroups are for different purposes, which is why
| there are different ones to begin with. Post ONLY on the newsgroup which is
| closest to the purpose of the post. I am a longtime Usenet participant.

>>everyone gets the benefit of the discussion. It also reduces the load on a
>> news server.

| Load? Text messages barely produce any load; it's the huge binaries files
| that load down Usenet servers.

>>Few news groups are moderated and if you were to post to one then it it
>> unlikley that you
>>would be Cross-Posting to non-moderated groups.

| Obviously the original poster had included a moderated group in his
| crossposts, which explains why his original post didn't get posted right
| away. Otherwise Usenet is nearly instantaneous. My post here on
| news.eternal-september.org will show up within an instant or two on Google
| Groups, Microsoft's forums, Giganews, and on my friend's Usenet server.

| So, if there was significant lag in seeing the post it was because one of the
| crossposts was a moderated newsgroup.

Others have stated good information. I will add to this information where I mentioned
load.

If I Multi-Post, I generate a Message ID (MID) for each posted message. Post to four
groups I created 4 MIDs.

If I Cross-Post, I generate one MID. In the example of posting to four groups, It is
still done with one MID.

Thus less of a load.

Additionally...
A post can be delayed from posting for numerous reasons. Problem on server, number of
simultaneous posts made to the server by subscribers, use of spam filters, etc. And once
it does get posted, peering servers would normally get the MID ASAP. However, any peering
server may delay that post or filter that post.

As for different groups with different purposes aspect...
That's is surely true. Each group will be different. However some have overlapping
themes.

Ex; alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.anti-virus
Steve Sprague was the proponent of a.c.a-v because he felt a.c.v may lean towards
creating viruses or virus technology but a.c.a-v was created more for removing or
dealing with them.

Ex; alt.privacy.spyware
While not geared for viruses, it is geared for malware in the non-viral form such as
adware and spyware.

a.p.s , a.c.v and a.c.a-v are ALL malware related. Thus Cross-Posting to all three
would be On Topic and pertinent depending on the posted subject matter.

Ex;
alt.computer.security
This is group geared towards and any aspect of COMSEC and INFOSEC. Because IA can have a
direct relationship to the propensity of being infected with malware, a pertinent post may
be Cross-Posted to the malware groups and here.

Ex;
comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
This group is on networking within the Windows family of OS'. If one was to discuss
I-Worms then it would be apropos to Cross-Post here and the virus groups to gain the
benefit of discussing the networking aspect of how the I-Worm spreads.

Thus many groups can have overlap. Cross-Posting to selected, pertinent, groups can help
with subject matter of discussion and all the groups would gain benefit from that
discusion.

Recently we saw a participant in this thread deliberately Cross-Post between
alt.privacy.spyware and alt.politics.scorched-earth
Here I can agree that this is wrong. Two completely different groups where one subject
matter would not be pertinent to the other.

--
Dave

From: five256 on
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:00:35 -0400, Virus Guy <Virus(a)Guy.com> wrote:

>"David H. Lipman" wrote:
>
>> | My feeling is that people should NOT crosspost at all.
>
>> That's wrong. People should indeed Cross-Post. You get more people
>> to read it and everyone gets the benefit of the discussion. It also
>> reduces the load on a news server.
>
>Crossposting is indeed the logical and efficient way to conduct a
>conversation who's subject matter spans across the interests of several
>newsgroups.

I totally agree.
From: David Kaye on
Virus Guy <Virus(a)Guy.com> wrote:

>If I have a question on how Windows XP handles a particular type of SCSI
>hard drive, do I post my question in a Windows XP group, or a Hard-drive
>or storage-related group?

The hard drive group, obviously. If you don't get an answer there, post to
another group.

>If I want to know how different furnaces compare with each other, should
>I post my question to misc.consumers.house, alt.home.repair, or
>alt.hvac?

Home repair or hvac. If you don't get an answer on one, reword your post and
post it in another newsgroup.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| Virus Guy <Virus(a)Guy.com> wrote:

>>If I have a question on how Windows XP handles a particular type of SCSI
>>hard drive, do I post my question in a Windows XP group, or a Hard-drive
>>or storage-related group?

| The hard drive group, obviously. If you don't get an answer there, post to
| another group.

>>If I want to know how different furnaces compare with each other, should
>>I post my question to misc.consumers.house, alt.home.repair, or
>>alt.hvac?

| Home repair or hvac. If you don't get an answer on one, reword your post and
| post it in another newsgroup.

Is your PC clock or Time Zone set properly ?
You are future posting by 1 hour.

--
Dave

From: David Kaye on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>If I Multi-Post, I generate a Message ID (MID) for each posted message. Post
> to four groups I created 4 MIDs.

You're forgetting what I said: I said, post to one newsgroup and if you don't
get your answer, reword the post and post it to another newsgroup. Often
people don't respond because the original post is not clear or thorough.

In fact, many newsreaders ignore crossposts because they assume that
crossposted messages are spam. My particular newsreader, News Xpress, can be
set to ignore crossposts. I believe it is set to default on when originally
installed.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: System Files Infected