From: John McWilliams on
Chris H wrote:
> In message <musch51f6qdulmbnl2pme5e95a7kk1ghi4(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes

>> Y'all do the same thing we do, but differently.
>
> No... No national holiday for most of the European ones. Certainly not
> in the UK. No special suppers for 90% though some more rural areas
> with Parish Churches and village halls still have something.
>
> No sales promotions etc. It usually goes completely unmarked except by
> some church congregations and Pagan groups Is not the majority of the
> population

Well, then, thank God (and Jesus) there's a Christmas in all civlilized
nations. Not only suppers, displays n such, but the biggest retailing
time of the year.

Many stores in California start their X-mas decorations at the end of
November (thus coinciding with Thanksgiving Day), complete with bilious
versions of Christmas carols n such.

Is there a noticeable cycle as to when European stores, antepodean
stores, S. American stores start their X-mas buying (selling) season.
(We already know what Canada does- just like U.S.)

--
john mcwilliams
From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:16:16 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:

>>Y'all do the same thing we do, but differently.
>
>No... No national holiday for most of the European ones.

Jeez, Chris. I specifically stated that one of the major differences
is that we have a designated national holiday coinciding with a
harvest festival and Europe does not.

No American, to my knowledge, thinks that "Thanksgiving" - as we
celebrate it - is an international holiday.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:16:16 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:

>>>Nothing to do with Europe. It's all North American.
>>
>>Whoa, here. There is no observed holiday in Europe called
>>"Thanksgiving". However, there are harvest festivals, or holidays, in
>>Europe.
>
>There are a whole load of them from September to November depending on
>country/region/culture.
>
>>The most observed is the Jewish holiday Sukkot, a major holiday for
>>Jews. From Wiki:
>
>It is the most observed by Jews. I have never heard of it.

If you are not familiar with Sukkot, or Ramadan, or Tet, or Cinco de
Mayo, or Diwali, or Independence Day, or any major holiday celebrated
by cultures that you are not part of, then that's you being insular
and uninformed.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Chris H on
In message <hf62ns$mmk$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, John McWilliams
<jpmcw(a)comcast.net> writes
>Chris H wrote:
>> In message <musch51f6qdulmbnl2pme5e95a7kk1ghi4(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
>> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>
>>> Y'all do the same thing we do, but differently.
>> No... No national holiday for most of the European ones. Certainly
>>not
>> in the UK. No special suppers for 90% though some more rural areas
>> with Parish Churches and village halls still have something.
>> No sales promotions etc. It usually goes completely unmarked except
>>by
>> some church congregations and Pagan groups Is not the majority of the
>> population
>
>Well, then, thank God (and Jesus) there's a Christmas in all civlilized
>nations.

But most of "Christmas" is pagan.... The date, the feasts, the symbols
(apart from the cross) most of the festivities etc

> Not only suppers, displays n such, but the biggest retailing time of
>the year.

True.. It is the festival of consumption.

>Many stores in California start their X-mas decorations at the end of
>November (thus coinciding with Thanksgiving Day), complete with bilious
>versions of Christmas carols n such.

Sounds reasonable.

>Is there a noticeable cycle as to when European stores, antepodean
>stores, S. American stores start their X-mas buying (selling) season.
>(We already know what Canada does- just like U.S.)

Well do remember that you should exchange presents on the 6th of
December. (Not the 25th) Other celebrate things that run the first few
weeks of December. so In Europe Christmas appears to be drawn out over
most of December.

So Whilst Christmas may appear to start early in many places it also
finishes before "Christmas" :-)

From: Chris H on
In message <2g3dh5psmqpft7vin3c4eeqne5q5tqa5to(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:16:16 +0000, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:
>

>>>Y'all do the same thing we do, but differently.
>>
>>No... No national holiday for most of the European ones.
>
>Jeez, Chris. I specifically stated that one of the major differences
>is that we have a designated national holiday coinciding with a
>harvest festival and Europe does not.

Sorry-missunderstood.

>No American, to my knowledge, thinks that "Thanksgiving" - as we
>celebrate it - is an international holiday.

There are some... (the ones that have the "rest of the world" as a hazy
vision of swamps, jungles, deserts and mud huts in a space about the
size of Texas. :-))