From: torbjorn.ekstrom on
Joe Horn wrote:

> Frank Pittel wrote:
>

>>In my again never humble opinion, if HP released an updated version
>>of the 42S like they did with the 32SII, it would take six months to
>>produce enough machines to cover the backlog in orders.
>

> Oh, the PAINFUL memories...
>
> The HP-42S gave me more *sadness* than any other HP calculator, for
> three reasons:
>
> (1) Its LCD had HORRIBLE contrast. Damn thing was almost impossible to
> read except in very bright light.
>
> (2) Its method for keying in alpha characters was insane. Great for
> finger muscle workouts but not much else. Its implementation was
> either a practical joke by a soon-to-be-ex-HP-Corvallis-employee, or
> legacy code from machines used before the invention of the opposable
> thumb.
>
> (3) I took it to dinner at a fancy restaurant once, and it left with
> SOMEBODY ELSE without warning or explanation or apology! True story! I
> am NOT making this up! I've never forgiven it for that heartless
> treachery, even though I'm sure that it would say that it was actually
> the THIEF'S fault, but hey, they ALWAYS say that, don' t they? >:-(
>
> If they ever reissue the 42S, don't show me one! Some wounds never
> heal. <sniffle>

So, you mean writing SMS on brand new mobile phone is a better way - no
way IMHO.

to make few labels and program name in hp42S is HP42:s input method
resonable and not need learning time to begin written, compare to many
mobil-phones text-input methode - this mobile hidden 'helping' rules
(but emty library) can pushing me to nuts...

hp42S is not a PDA to make big literature or writting advanced program,
is a every day using mathematic tool for practical working engineer in
electrical and electronic field. This discret and always working complex
numeric support is this calculators big strength and impossible to days
to find simular calculator in small size with same full numerical
complex support on all math-function.

Is very few (none?) small, skirt pocket size calculators to days can
easly handle square root on complex numbers (for example handle
telegraph formula), reflectioncoffecients in complex impedances or
handle matrices with complex numbers... etc. etc.

From: Joel Kolstad on
"Paul Schlyter" <pausch(a)saaf.se> wrote in message
> I sure hope that HP won't enforce some "features ceiling" on their calc
> from what is accepted at exams.

They already have one, and I'm sure that every time HP marketing sees an
opportunity for making a new calculator, a lot of thought goes into, "How
powerful can we make this without it being banned on exams?"

> After all, the most serious calculation
> needs occur outside exams....

They do, although the high-end calculator market is rather small today, I
think, realtive to, say, a couple decades back due to the ubiquity of PCs. I
keep my HP 50g at work, and while I do use it for many activities, as soon as
I need something involving graphing, symbolic calculation, etc., it's
worthwhile to fire up MathCAD or Matlab.

I took an exam recently that required non-programmable calculators and I ended
up with a Casio FX-115ES, which I think is just about the most powerful
calculator available that isn't programmable. Nice machine, especially for
the $18 asking price. I'd love to see HP do something like this -- a cheap,
full dot matrix LCD, dual-power non-programmable *RPN* machine.

---Joel

From: John H Meyers on
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 04:44:41 -0500, Joe Horn wrote:

> The HP42S LCD had HORRIBLE contrast.

You got a lemon? (Or EduCALC got a whole bad lot?)

I think the "recessed" display series was clearer than the
original "flat" display, but I have no problem with either;
didn't the 27S/42S/17B all have the same display?

http://www.hpmuseum.org/27s.jpg [recessed]
http://www.hpmuseum.org/42s.jpg [recessed]
http://www.hpmuseum.org/17b.jpg [flat, polarizer on top]

> The HP42S method for keying in alpha characters was insane.

For anyone who hasn't seen:

Same method as on financial models, e.g. HP17B[ii]
(which even has no Alpha shift key)

First keypress - the six menu keys show:

[ABCDE] [FGHI] [JKLM] [NOPQ] [RSTUV] [WXYZ]

Second keypress (assuming ABCDE):

[A] [B] [C] [D] [E] [OTHER]

"Other" (present on financial calcs only)
leads to a menu of all special characters;
a sixth menu label [MORE] takes the place of
the dedicated [NXT] key that the 48/49/50 series needs,
as is also common to HP17B[ii], HP18C, etc.

Note that although the 32S[ii], by contrast, has individual letters
on the keyboard, somewhat necessary for STO/RCL using
registers named via letters instead of via numbers
(42S was still using numbers), it still has no Alpha shift key,
and the entry of *every* letter must therefore always be preceded
by pressing STO or RCL, even if you are spelling out something
(like my name, for display when my calc turns on);
is that equally "insane"?

http://www.hpmuseum.org/32s.jpg [also earlier "flat" display]

I think it was remarkably clever of whoever thought it up
to manage to provide Alpha entry on each calc,
without ever needing an alpha keyboard or alpha shift key;
careful study of the 26-letter menu will show that the fit
is so close, there was no other way to get all 26 letters into it;
once you have used this a bit, it's in fact extremely natural,
especially since you can predict exactly which menu key will be
the second keypress, just by looking at the key you press first.

So what Joe undoubtedly means is that all these designs were insanely
clever and brilliant -- more than I would ever have thought up myself,
and perfectly suited to what each model was, in its time.

[ ] [OFF] (there's only *one* shift key on these calcs! :)
From: Rich on
John H Meyers wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 04:44:41 -0500, Joe Horn wrote:
>
>> The HP42S LCD had HORRIBLE contrast.
>
> You got a lemon? (Or EduCALC got a whole bad lot?)

Mine has a horrible display as well.

I came across this late and it looks like all the web
pages about the new HP 35S have been removed, even from
the HP museum.

Is this a late April fools joke or what?

Cheers,

Rich

From: Chad4000 on
On Jun 2, 1:12 pm, pau...(a)saaf.se (Paul Schlyter) wrote:
> In article <HLidnSYJXuSQ-_zbnZ2dnUVZ_tHin...(a)giganews.com>,
> Frank Pittel <f...(a)warlock.deepthought.com> wrote:
>
> > In my never humble opinion we should all care about the machines being
> > accepted for use in exams. The reality is that most people choose a
> > calculator while in school and stick with it. Why would a student go
> > with HP calculators knowing that they're not usable in exams?
>
> Perhaps he realizes that he has a life also beyond the exam, where the calc
> can be useful?
>
> I got several HP calculators myself while in college, but I never used
> them at exams - they weren't allowed since they were programmable. I
> liked them anyway.
>
> > The more students that start with HP calculators the more users in the
> > future and the better the future of HP calculators in the future.
>
> I sure hope that HP won't enforce some "features ceiling" on their calc
> from what is accepted at exams. After all, the most serious calculation
> needs occur outside exams....

> Paul Schlyter, Grev Turegatan 40, SE-114 38 Stockholm, SWEDEN
> e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
> WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/

Mathematical Salutations,
I definately have need for calculators that go beyond exams.
I want a shirt pocket calculator that can run an alignment program and
store thousands of coordinates including elevation and a description
in .asc format. And be able to I/O the coordinate file.
For me it doesn't need to connect to survey equipment, For that I
would prefer to use a full size Data Collector.
But I would definately pay for the ability to sync my Data Collector
to a shirt pocket calculator that I would always have in my shirt
pocket, so when I walk in an office to get some information and I get
asked for job information I could query said small data collector for
the same type of answers available in my large weatherproof Data
Collector that is outside in my truck or attatched to an ATV.
That is what I want in a "Dream Calculator". Why not? I might not ever
get that, but the need for calculators that go far beyond the exam
limitations does exist.
Chad Wagner
Construction Surveyor in Alaska