From: Frank Pittel on
ppeb <bpwalsh(a)gmail.com> wrote:
: On May 29, 6:09 am, Giancarlo <giancarlo.matti...(a)indesitcompany.com>
: wrote:
: > On 29 Mag, 13:03, ppeb <bpwa...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
: >
: > > It looks good. I will get one. It only lacks one big thing: I/O. How
: > > soon will we see a USB or serial port hacked in?
: >
: > Hi.
: > I think that providing some I/O would prevent the calc from being
: > accepted in many tests and exams, so maybe HP wouldn't run the risk of
: > loosing a slice of the market...
: > Just a thought.
: > Best regards.
: > Giancarlo

: Who cares about it being accepted in exams? I'm talking about a major
: extension to its usefulness by having offline storage capability, not
: to mention sharing programs with other users.

In my never humble opinion we should all care about the machines being
accepted for use in exams. The reality is that most people choose a
calculator while in school and stick with it. Why would a student go
with HP calculators knowing that they're not usable in exams?

The more students that start with HP calculators the more users in the
future and the better the future of HP calculators in the future.

--

-------------------
From: Frank Pittel on
ppeb <bpwalsh(a)gmail.com> wrote:
: On May 30, 10:30 am, "Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesS...(a)yahoo.com>
: wrote:
: > "ppeb" <bpwa...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
: >
: > news:1180492146.903470.82640(a)p47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...
: >
: > > Who cares about it being accepted in exams?
: >
: > Anyone who wants HP to keep making calculators. The "high end" line of HP
: > calculators (such as the 50g) probably don't begin to generate enough revenue
: > for HP to keep a calculator division around -- they need the revenues from the
: > lower-end calculators, and being able to sell those is largely contingent upon
: > them not being so powerful that they're banned from exams and the large
: > student market quits buying them.

: To reiterate, I believe the need exists for a 35s with I/O.

It would be nice it HP released a similar model with a slot for a memory
card. A cable would be worthless to me since I only run linux and HP
doesn't support linux.

: > > I'm talking about a major
: > > extension to its usefulness by having offline storage capability, not
: > > to mention sharing programs with other users.
: >
: > Why not just get a 50g?

: Although the 50g is something many can consider purchasing, it isn't
: the tool of choice, a classic RPN keystroke programmable machine is.
: If you attended CHIP meetings here in Chicago you would understand.
: There is a strong demand for a follow on to the 41/42S/15C.

You can also see what the demand is like on ebay!! The last auction for
a 42S I followed went for over $400!!! In my again never humble opinion
it HP released an updated version of the 42S like they did with the 32SII
there would take six monthes to produce enough machines to cover the
backlog in orders.

--

-------------------
From: Paul Schlyter on
In article <HLidnSYJXuSQ-_zbnZ2dnUVZ_tHinZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Frank Pittel <fwp(a)warlock.deepthought.com> wrote:

> In my never humble opinion we should all care about the machines being
> accepted for use in exams. The reality is that most people choose a
> calculator while in school and stick with it. Why would a student go
> with HP calculators knowing that they're not usable in exams?

Perhaps he realizes that he has a life also beyond the exam, where the calc
can be useful?

I got several HP calculators myself while in college, but I never used
them at exams - they weren't allowed since they were programmable. I
liked them anyway.

> The more students that start with HP calculators the more users in the
> future and the better the future of HP calculators in the future.

I sure hope that HP won't enforce some "features ceiling" on their calc
from what is accepted at exams. After all, the most serious calculation
needs occur outside exams....

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
From: Joe Horn on
Frank Pittel wrote:

> In my again never humble opinion, if HP released an updated version
> of the 42S like they did with the 32SII, it would take six months to
> produce enough machines to cover the backlog in orders.

Oh, the PAINFUL memories...

The HP-42S gave me more *sadness* than any other HP calculator, for
three reasons:

(1) Its LCD had HORRIBLE contrast. Damn thing was almost impossible to
read except in very bright light.

(2) Its method for keying in alpha characters was insane. Great for
finger muscle workouts but not much else. Its implementation was
either a practical joke by a soon-to-be-ex-HP-Corvallis-employee, or
legacy code from machines used before the invention of the opposable
thumb.

(3) I took it to dinner at a fancy restaurant once, and it left with
SOMEBODY ELSE without warning or explanation or apology! True story! I
am NOT making this up! I've never forgiven it for that heartless
treachery, even though I'm sure that it would say that it was actually
the THIEF'S fault, but hey, they ALWAYS say that, don' t they? >:-(

If they ever reissue the 42S, don't show me one! Some wounds never
heal. <sniffle>

-Joe- -and it didn't even say goodbye-

From: Frank Pittel on
Of course the re-released 42S would have a much improved display and the
sillyness of the way the 42S had you enter alpha characters.

I can't help your being dumped by your 42S :-)