From: ppeb on
On May 30, 10:30 am, "Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesS...(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:
> "ppeb" <bpwa...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Who cares about it being accepted in exams?
>
> Anyone who wants HP to keep making calculators. The "high end" line of HP
> calculators (such as the 50g) probably don't begin to generate enough revenue
> for HP to keep a calculator division around -- they need the revenues from the
> lower-end calculators, and being able to sell those is largely contingent upon
> them not being so powerful that they're banned from exams and the large
> student market quits buying them.

To reiterate, I believe the need exists for a 35s with I/O.

> > I'm talking about a major
> > extension to its usefulness by having offline storage capability, not
> > to mention sharing programs with other users.
>
> Why not just get a 50g?

Although the 50g is something many can consider purchasing, it isn't
the tool of choice, a classic RPN keystroke programmable machine is.
If you attended CHIP meetings here in Chicago you would understand.
There is a strong demand for a follow on to the 41/42S/15C.

> I agree it's a little tedious, but people were typing in calculator and
> computer programs from printed books and magazines long before "memory card"
> was a word in most people's vocabulary.

"Memory cards" didn't exist 20 or 30 years ago. An HP-25 was a pain to
re-program each time it was turned on, and it only had 49 steps of
program memory. Ask anyone who lost memory contents of an HP 28C, much
less a 28S, how much work it was to re-enter everything because it had
no I/O (just "Oh!").

To paraphrase the Disney's Seven Dwarves, "I/O, I/O, it's off to work
we go."

Brian Walsh

From: Raymond Del Tondo on
Hi John,

"John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [looking back into history, having collected enough truly fine calcs
> for my tomb, for reliable navigation in the after-life :]
>
> On Tue, 29 May 2007 03:25:03 -0500, Raymond Del Tondo wrote:
>
>> At least it looks very promising, modern retro style
>> with ENTER bar and arithmetic keys where they belong.
>
> I suppose by "arithmetic keys where they belong,"
> you mean one row lower down, rather than above ENTER ?

I meant both.
Putting the ENTER key on the down right pos was a stupid idea IMHO,
because this broke the numeric/arithmetic key square,
since the 'division' key now is one row above the numeric block.

> There was very good reason for the original HP35's
> arithmetic key placement, however, which was on the
> left, with [+] and [*] adjacent in the middle
> of the grouping, but that has long been forgotten.

I know, and you explained it well.
The order of the arithmetic keys on the HP calcs up to the HP-41
was optimal, but the addition of the modifier key column
made it necessary to make a compromise...

> http://www.hpmuseum.org/four35s.jpg

You can easily see the 'inner square' of the numeric keys,
extended by the outer square of the arithmetic keys,
ENTER and number modifiers (CHS, EEX, BkSpc).

Optimal from the ergonomic side, as well as from the aesthetic side.

> Off[xx ]On

Seems you're adapting to a more classical switch;-)

Regards

Raymond

From: John H Meyers on
On Wed, 30 May 2007 16:04:14 -0500, Brian Walsh wrote:

> "Memory cards" didn't exist 20 or 30 years ago.
> An HP-25 was a pain to re-program each time it was turned on,
> and it only had 49 steps of program memory.

So you left it running on AC all the time?
And next got a 25C?
http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp25c.htm (for only $200 in 1976-78 dollars)

> Ask anyone who lost memory contents of an HP 28C,
> much less a 28S, how much work it was to re-enter everything
> because it had no I/O (just "Oh!").

Yes, it had "O" (printout!)

Didn't lose memory unless battery door fell off, did it?

> To paraphrase the Disney's Seven Dwarves,
> "I/O, I/O, it's off to work we go."

"Input not always good to know"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_wise_monkeys

From: timite_h on
On 30 mai, 05:33, Michael <mic...(a)bigpond.com> wrote:
> altz...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> > The new HP35S (the HP 35 35th anniversary model) has arrived:
> >http://www.calculators-hp.com/35s.html
>
> > and it looks supurb!
>
> > Dave.
>
> It could have done with an SD slot and about four times the memory. *If*
> it has a excellent keyboard it would be my first choice of calc for
> number crunching, going to get two regardless.
> Does anybody know about the programming (RPL)? It would be a pain if it
> was the same as the original, would relegate it 2 a novelty.
> Mick C

It could also have a wider screen and a built-equation writer.
The wider screen could have also helped for programming.
T.H.H

From: Kevin on
Where is the P->R and R->P?