From: Andy Pandy on

"Brian A" <no_spam_bca1000(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:42:41 +0100, White Spirit wrote:
>
>> On 16/07/2010 14:17, Bill wrote:
>>
>>> I have just decided that Orange are absolute rubbish.
>>
>> I've always been with Vodafone. Their customer service and tariffs
>> are
>> excellent.
> When have the tariffs on Vodafone been excellent? Quite the contrary
> I'd
> say. They are definitely the worst for tariffs of all the UK
> networks.

Their legacy tariffs were certainly always the best value for off-peak
and roaming. They have definitely been the best value PAYG for us over
the years.

> Try checking out some of the deals on O2 and '3' and then compare
> them to
> Vodafone.

I've not checked the competition recently, but here are some example
Vodafone rates for PAYG on SmartPlus with the free Passport & STC
add-ons, but without needing to buy time-limited packs etc:

10 min call from Australia: �1.25
20 min call off-peak x-net: �1.05
40 min call off-peak to a UK landline: 15p.

How much would these be on '3' or O2?

--
Andy

From: Bill on
I think Vodafone tariffs are actually quite good.

E.g. I'm looking to get an HTC Desire
On Voda its free on a �35/18 month tariff with 600mins, 3000text and 1Gb
web.

O2's �35/18month offers half the mins, half the data allowance and �99 for
the phone. Even on the �40 tariff the handset is still �49. Why are people
buying from them?!

As an existing Voda customer they'll also give me inclsuve 0800/0845/0870
calls - the bundle which is normally �2.50, 50 MMS free, and a free
SureSignal box as well which I think is pretty good.

Will gladly be ending my Orange contract in 4 weeks!

From: Poldie on
On 17 July, 14:51, "Bill" <b...(a)bill.com> wrote:
> I think Vodafone tariffs are actually quite good.
>
> E.g. I'm looking to get an HTC Desire
> On Voda its free on a £35/18 month tariff with 600mins, 3000text and 1Gb
> web.
>
> O2's £35/18month offers half the mins, half the data allowance and £99 for
> the phone.  Even on the £40 tariff the handset is still £49.  Why are people
> buying from them?!

I upgraded to a Desire on Orange. I paid £100 for the phone and
£12.50 per month for 18 months. I get 250 mins, 100 texts and 500mb
of data. Seems ok to me.
From: Poldie on
On 17 July, 09:47, Robert Coates <bobko...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 16 July, 13:17, "Bill" <b...(a)bobsmyuncle.com> wrote:> I have just decided that Orange are absolute rubbish.
>
> > Text message delivery reports at 1p = ridiculous
>
> I agree
>
> > Handset branding and locking = annoying
>
> I agree. On my contract they gave me the most rubbish phone around,
> Nokia 2630.
> So I went and bought an unlocked phone from CPW and use that. CPW:
> Guaranteed unlocked. Can put my foreign SIM in when abroad etc.
>
> > 3G data speeds = terrible, and sometimes unusable
>
> This is my biggest gripe. Used to be fine, but now is virtually
> unusable. Different handsets, SIMs, always the same. Lucky to get a
> page to load before handset times out.
> Are Orange CS interested? Nope!
> I now have to carry another phone for data. On T-Mob. Data is fine,
> but coverage... T-Mob's coverage does make Orange look brilliant!

Orange and Tmobile are now one and the same, and apparently they'll be
reducing the number of masts they have to save costs, although I'm not
sure if this process has started yet.

From: White Spirit on
On 17/07/2010 14:51, Bill wrote:

> I think Vodafone tariffs are actually quite good.

> E.g. I'm looking to get an HTC Desire
> On Voda its free on a �35/18 month tariff with 600mins, 3000text and 1Gb
> web.

I got the N900 for �30 per month with 600 minutes, unlimited texts and
500Mb data. Since I have WiFi at work and at home, 500Mb data is more
than enough.