From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris Malcolm wrote:

>>> Yes, and until sensors plus software can exceed the night-adaptive
>>> vision of the human eye, framing of very low light shots will remain a
>>> difficulty without an optical finder.
>>
>> That point has been reached. In the very dimmest conditions I have to
>> use the LCD of my DSLR because I can see more than I can through the
>> optical viewfinder or with the naked eye. This was demonstrated very
>> clearly recently when I tried to take available light shots in a dark
>> tunnel. At ISO 200 and f8 the shutter speed required was more than 30
>> minutes.

> Something wrong with your numbers there. If it was that dark then the 1s
> time averaged viewfinder image would still be 11 stops underexposed
> which would be indistinguishable from black cat in a coal cellar.

The exposure was 30+ mins at f8. And with the lens stopped down to f8
ay ISO 200 I could see nothing. Nor was the camera capable of metering
an exposure. I used a light meter.

> Dazzle
> from the LCD can be a nuisance in low light conditions too.

Unless the LCD brightness auto adjusts itself relative to the ambient
light level. That's a very handy feature.

> Which SLR can meter for a 30 min exposure at 200 ASA?

Yet another good reason to carry a light meter :-)

> I'd be surprised
> if on that timescale the image wasn't dominated by stray IR photons in
> the sensor and warm spots from the control electronics.

If the camera was set to f8 and ISO 200 nothing could be seen. But if
I whacked the ISO to maximum and set the aperture to f1.4 there was a
visible image. I saw no warm spots. There was a lot of stray noise
swimming about in the LCD like a weak TV signal, but it was seeing
more detail than my dark adapted eyes could see. But I wasn't prepared
to hang around for 30 minutes to take the shot. I only had the pop up
flash which was useless because it fell off too fast in a long narrow
tunnel. So I ended up light painting the shot rather unevenly with a
torch.

> Astronomical cameras can now focus better than humans by repeatedly
> sampling highlights in the image, but generic DSLR autofocus tends to
> hunt in low light conditions and manual focus is more reliable.

I used the torch to get a reliable autofocus.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital Chris Malcolm <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> In rec.photo.digital Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Chris Malcolm wrote:

>>> That point has been reached. In the very dimmest conditions I have to
>>> use the LCD of my DSLR because I can see more than I can through the
>>> optical viewfinder or with the naked eye. This was demonstrated very
>>> clearly recently when I tried to take available light shots in a dark
>>> tunnel. At ISO 200 and f8 the shutter speed required was more than 30
>>> minutes.

>> Something wrong with your numbers there. If it was that dark then the 1s
>> time averaged viewfinder image would still be 11 stops underexposed
>> which would be indistinguishable from black cat in a coal cellar.

> The exposure was 30+ mins at f8. And with the lens stopped down to f8
> ay ISO 200 I could see nothing. Nor was the camera capable of metering
> an exposure. I used a light meter.

How embarrassing! I remembered correctly that the camera couldn't
meter it. But the doddering old fool in charge of my memory dropped
the memories as he tottered back from the archives and instead made up
some plausible fiction about the light meter.

After seeing the query in this thread about what light meter could
meter such dim light I thought I ought to check. Mine doesn't!

So I went back and looked at my written notes of the time. In fact how
I measured the exposure was the simple old fashioned method. I opened
the lens to f1.4, whacked the ISO to max, and found the right exposure
by experiment. Then I simply adjusted the time for f8 and ISO 200.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital DanP <dan.petre(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 Apr, 01:11, Chris Malcolm <c...(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>> That point has been reached. In the very dimmest conditions I have to
>> use the LCD of my DSLR because I can see more than I can through the
>> optical viewfinder or with the naked eye. This was demonstrated very
>> clearly recently when I tried to take available light shots in a dark
>> tunnel. At ISO 200 and f8 the shutter speed required was more than 30
>> minutes.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Malcolm- Hide quoted text -

> But I bet you have taken a shot, loked at it on the LCD and decided
> what to do next.
> I do not know of any camera with Live View that can give a better view
> that the optical viewfinder.

> The point is optical viewfinder beats LIve View at the moment.

> If I am wrong please tell me the make of your camera.

You're both right and wrong. It's a Sony A550 which has two different
live views from two different sensors. One can't do it but the other
can. The normal live view from the special dedicated live view sensor
isn't as good in dim light as the optical viewfinder or naked eye. But
the manual focus live view check uses the image sensor, and that gives
a much brighter image in dim light than the optical viewfinder or
indeed the naked eye. You can easily read printed text with it when
the light is too dim to read it with the naked eye. And zoom right up
to pixel level if you want. It's so amazingly good it has to be seen
to be believed!

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Wilba on
DanP wrote:

> I do not know of any camera with Live View that can give a better
> view that the optical viewfinder.

Try any current Live View camera with exposure simulation on a macro shot
with a reversed lens set to the exposure aperture (e.g. f/16). The image in
the viewfinder will be like -5 EV, while the Live View image will look like
a well-exposed shot.

Compare the macro focussing accuracy you get through the viewfinder with
what you can get zoomed in five or ten times in Live View.

> The point is optical viewfinder beats LIve View at the moment.

For normal shots (autofocus in good light), yes. For macro there are huge
advantages to Live View that mean you can do things that are impossible
optically, e.g. view the live image on a computer monitor and remotely
control the camera.

From: LOL! on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 15:41:33 -0500, George Kerby <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 4/23/10 11:56 AM, in article jnj3t5hhnp5k6857uml4gga8h3ki5j72s0(a)4ax.com,
>"Phil B." <pblackwell(a)spamlessyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:36:19 +0100, "11:11" <1112(a)1113.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> I'm wondering when someone will bring out a large sensor p&s that takes
>>> photos when you actually press the button and maybe even a decent burst
>>> rate.
>>>

>> Do catch up with reality some day. Cameras like that have been out for many
>> years now. Most P&S cameras today have shutter-lags far less than any DSLR
>> made today. Shutter-lags on the order of 30-45ms. They don't have to waste
>> time lifting that loud slapping mirror out of the way. All DSLR shutter-lag
>> averages 60-130ms or more. Some P&S cameras even take continuous frames
>> held in the buffer and will let you keep several shots that were taken
>> before you even press the shutter. In order for you to get those images
>> where in the past you saw something happening, lifted the camera, and said
>> to yourself, "Damn, I just missed that shot". The camera has already been
>> taking them for you, then lets you select which one it was that you thought
>> you had missed and wanted.
>>
>> Are you DSLR fools really this ignorant? No, don't bother answering that.
>> You prove it with every post that you make. Keep on living in last
>> century's technology. Ignorance is bliss after-all, isn't it.
>>

>And another one!

Thanks for quoting these. Some might miss these valuable FACTS the first
time.