From: DanP on
On 24 Apr, 11:07, Robert Spanjaard <spamt...(a)arumes.com> wrote:

> As EVFs get better, they will probably surpass these larger OVFs as well.
>
> --
> Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com

I'd love to see it but I know the dynamic range of the EVF is a
problem that cannot be solved completely.
Bad OVF's are bad because they are either too small or not transparent
enough. That is something that can be easily fixed.

DanP
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 03:29:19 -0700, DanP wrote:

> Bad OVF's are bad because they are either too small or not transparent
> enough. That is something that can be easily fixed.

How?

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 06:53:47 -0400, John A. wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:48:12 +0200, Robert Spanjaard
> <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 03:29:19 -0700, DanP wrote:
>>
>>> Bad OVF's are bad because they are either too small or not transparent
>>> enough. That is something that can be easily fixed.
>>
>>How?
>
> By making them bigger or more transparent?

Now there's a bright idea. My compliments to you, John.

A TTL OVF is a compromise of brightness and size, limited by the amount of
light collected by the lens. That's why the OVF of a Four Thirds-camera
needs much smaller than a 35mm-format OVF to stay reasonably bright.
If you want more brightness, you'll have to make it even smaller. If you
want it to be bigger, it'll become darker.

If you want your Four Thirds OVF to be as big and bright as a 35mm OVF,
the optical system will have to be as big and bright too. That means that,
to match the size and brightness of a 35mm camera OVF with a 50mm f/1.4
lens, the Four Thirds camera with a 25mm lens would need an aperture of
f/0.7.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Neil Ellwood on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:49:16 -0500, Joel Connor wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2010 16:37:39 GMT, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>
>>Ray Shafranski <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>>"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
ad54-670b393393aa(a)q31g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

>>>The lifting mirror and the pentaprism/pentamirror are relics of film
>>>days and should be replaced on all DSLR designs.
>>
>>Gee, you're so smart. I wonder why millions of people don't listen to
>>you and simply abandon SLRs.
>
> That must be sarcasm because millions do. The smart ones do today,
> anyway. Check to see how many high-quality P&S cameras are bought
> compared to how many cameras are bought with last century's archaic SLR
> design. The numbers bought and used make the non-SLR designs the clear
> winners by a huge margin.
>
> Some of them even rival the print quality of up to 13x18" in size when
> pitted against a medium-format sensored Hasselblad. Something that DSLRs
> can't even do.
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

Going by that reasoning why are so many people using cameras that have the
old fashioned sixteenth century technology? i.e. lenses.

--
neil
Reverse 'r' + 'a' and remove 'l'.
From: Ray Fischer on
DanP <dan.petre(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On 24 Apr, 07:40, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> I do. �With 30 minute exposures you cannot see to focus through the
>> viewfinder. �Live view at least increases the brightness and size of
>> the image so that you can find something on which to focus.
>>
>> And yes, I do know theis from first-hand experience. �7 minutes at
>> ISO800 is about the same exposure. �That's nighttime with nothing but
>> starlight.
>
>So, will you give up the optical viewfinder and live with the Live
>View only?

That appears to be a silly question. Care to explain?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net