From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 15:15:53 -0700, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:06:02 -0700, C J Campbell
>> <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Wave your hand in front of any
>>> camera equipped with an EVF or LCD ...
>>
>> ... in low light and you'll see how the EVF or LCD is perfectly matching
>> your selected shutter speed. Giving you REAL-TIME SHUTTER-SPEED PREVIEW. An
>> very valuable feature to those that know how to use cameras.
>
>Yeah, right; whatever.
>
>It's 'very valuable' for those who don't know photography.

I guess you don't know why dialing in the exact shutter speed needed to
stop the motion of a bumble-bee's wings isn't valuable before you take the
shot. I guess you don't know why dialing in the exact shutter speed needed
to produce just the right amount of motion blur to a moving subject is
valuable BEFORE you take the shot.

Thanks for proving that you don't know how to use cameras NOR anything
about photography.

But we already all knew that, didn't we. Well.... at least you and I
already knew that. I don't know how stupid everyone else is that doesn't
already realize you are nothing but a pretend-photographer troll and have
always been one.

I seem to have an excellent real-time pretend-photographer-troll-preview
capability as well. Real photographers can pick out the
pretend-photographer trolls in less than one paragraph posted by them. You
qualify as a role-playing pretend-photographer troll every time.
From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-04-23 15:15:53 -0700, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> said:

> Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:06:02 -0700, C J Campbell
>> <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Wave your hand in front of any camera equipped with an EVF or LCD ...
>>
>> ... in low light and you'll see how the EVF or LCD is perfectly matching
>> your selected shutter speed. Giving you REAL-TIME SHUTTER-SPEED PREVIEW. An
>> very valuable feature to those that know how to use cameras.
>
> Yeah, right; whatever.
>
> It's 'very valuable' for those who don't know photography.

He really said that? ROFL. He owes me a new keyboard. This one is
covered about 8 feet deep in his BS.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: Ray Fischer on
DanP <dan.petre(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris Malcolm <c...(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>> That point has been reached. In the very dimmest conditions I have to
>> use the LCD of my DSLR because I can see more than I can through the
>> optical viewfinder or with the naked eye. This was demonstrated very
>> clearly recently when I tried to take available light shots in a dark
>> tunnel. At ISO 200 and f8 the shutter speed required was more than 30
>> minutes.
>
>But I bet you have taken a shot, loked at it on the LCD and decided
>what to do next.
>I do not know of any camera with Live View that can give a better view
>that the optical viewfinder.

I do. With 30 minute exposures you cannot see to focus through the
viewfinder. Live view at least increases the brightness and size of
the image so that you can find something on which to focus.

And yes, I do know theis from first-hand experience. 7 minutes at
ISO800 is about the same exposure. That's nighttime with nothing but
starlight.

>If I am wrong please tell me the make of your camera.

Canon 7D.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: DanP on
On 24 Apr, 07:40, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> I do.  With 30 minute exposures you cannot see to focus through the
> viewfinder.  Live view at least increases the brightness and size of
> the image so that you can find something on which to focus.
>
> And yes, I do know theis from first-hand experience.  7 minutes at
> ISO800 is about the same exposure.  That's nighttime with nothing but
> starlight.
>
> Ray Fischer

So, will you give up the optical viewfinder and live with the Live
View only?

DanP
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 04:41:50 -0700, DanP wrote:

> On 23 Apr, 01:11, Chris Malcolm <c...(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> That point has been reached. In the very dimmest conditions I have to
>> use the LCD of my DSLR because I can see more than I can through the
>> optical viewfinder or with the naked eye. This was demonstrated very
>> clearly recently when I tried to take available light shots in a dark
>> tunnel. At ISO 200 and f8 the shutter speed required was more than 30
>> minutes.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Malcolm- Hide quoted text -
>>

> But I bet you have taken a shot, loked at it on the LCD and decided what
> to do next.
> I do not know of any camera with Live View that can give a better view
> that the optical viewfinder.
>
> The point is optical viewfinder beats LIve View at the moment.
>
> If I am wrong please tell me the make of your camera.

It all depends on the quality of the viewfinders you're comparing.
On my Powershot S80, Live View is much better than the optical tunnel. On
Four Thirds, Live View is surpassing the (rather small) TTL optical
viewfinder at the moment thanks to the EP-2 800x600 EVF. But for APS-C and
35mm-formats, the TTL optical viewfinder beats Live View in most
situations.
As EVFs get better, they will probably surpass these larger OVFs as well.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com