From: bz on
"Sue..." <suzysewnshow(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote in

> normal clocks that are not responsive to motion
> through a dielectric shouldn't change rate.

I tried to buy a 'normal clock' at the clock store but they told me they
are no longer made. They used to be made in Newton's days, but now
EVERYTHING that is made of charged particles responds to motion through
space, which is a dielectric medium. Maxwell managed to change the laws of
physics with his equations.

And the neutronium clocks are too heavy to carry around.

So, let me borrow your 'normal clock' pleeeeze. I will gladly return it
just as soon as my twin brings it back from his trip to the Andromeda
Galaxy.

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+spr(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
From: colp on
On Nov 21, 11:40 pm, "Dirk Van de moortel" <dirkvandemoor...(a)ThankS-NO-
SperM.hotmail.com> wrote:
> "colp" <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in messagenews:06b84031-18aa-4644-bfb7-43f49f46ae6a(a)i37g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...
> > This thought experiment is like the classic twin paradox, but in this
> > expirement both twins leave earth and travel symmetric return trips in
> > opposite directions.
>
> > Since the paths taken by the twins in this experiment are symmetric,
> > they must be the same age when they meet on their return to earth.
>
> > In this experiment the twins maintain constant observation of each
> > other's clocks, from when they depart until they return and find that
> > their clocks tell the same time.
>
> > Special relativity says that each twin must observe that the other's
> > clock is running slow, and at no time does special relativity allow
> > for an observation which shows that the other clock is running fast.
>
> No, special relativity says much more precise than that
> "moving clocks" are running slow.

The fact that the Lorentz-Fitzgerald transforms are more precise that
my description does not make my description incorrect.

> It says something about intertial observers who measure
> times between ticks on remote, moving clocks.
>
> When your two clocks fly apart, each clock will measure
> this time to be longer and conclude that the other clock
> is "running slower".
> While clock A is coasting, according to clock A, each
> tick on clock A is simultaneous with some tick on clock B
> with a smaller time value.
> While clock B is coasting, according to clock B, each
> tick on clock B is simultaneous with some tick on clock A
> with a smaller time value.

O.K. That's the standard theory.

> After clock A has made its turnaround, it has shifted to
> another inertial frame, in which according to clock A, each
> tick on clock A is simultaneous with some tick on clock B
> with a larger time value.
> After clock B has made its turnaround, it has shifted to
> another inertial frame, in which according to clock B, each
> tick on clock B is simultaneous with some tick on clock A
> with a larger time value.

Wrong. The fact that the clocks now approach each other does not
change the fact that time dilation is still observed. This is because
the term for relative velocity is squared, making the relative
direction unimportant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

The only compensation for the time dilation occurs in the non-inertial
frames, but the paradox will still occur for sufficiently long
durations of the inertial frames.
From: Sue... on
On Nov 21, 1:29 pm, bz <bz+...(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:
> "Sue..." <suzysewns...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote innews:a99fa604-6121-47d8-96a8-90c3c19d2e8d(a)l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > normal clocks that are not responsive to motion
> > through a dielectric shouldn't change rate.
>
> I tried to buy a 'normal clock' at the clock store but they told me they
> are no longer made. They used to be made in Newton's days, but now
> EVERYTHING that is made of charged particles responds to motion through
> space, which is a dielectric medium. Maxwell managed to change the laws of
> physics with his equations.

Did you try to buy a light-clock specifically designed to
respond to motion through media? If the clock store had one
I think you would find most of the clocks you have are
"normal" when you blow hydrogen gas at a significant fraction
of c toward or past their cases.

The gas moving between the light-clock's mirrors will cause it
to slow however.

> And the neutronium clocks are too heavy to carry around.
>
> So, let me borrow your 'normal clock' pleeeeze. I will gladly return it
> just as soon as my twin brings it back from his trip to the Andromeda
> Galaxy.

"normal" clocks are usually inertial mechanisms. Are you disputing
this statement with your suggestion that a light-clock should behave
the same way as an inertial clock ?

<<A Lorentz transformation or any other coordinate
transformation will convert electric or magnetic
fields into mixtures of electric and magnetic fields,
but no transformation mixes them with the
gravitational field. >>
http://www.aip.org/pt/vol-58/iss-11/p31.html

If you can, then you will be demonstrating that
General Relativity is unnecessay and you'll have
some evidence of an inertial ether to support your
argument.

> And the neutronium clocks are too heavy to carry around.
>
> So, let me borrow your 'normal clock' pleeeeze. I will gladly return it
> just as soon as my twin brings it back from his trip to the Andromeda
> Galaxy.

I'll trade you a normal clock for a light-clock.
You might get a good deal on this one but you'll
have to supply your own launch vehicle and figure out
how to expose it to moving ism.

http://funphysics.jpl.nasa.gov/technical/grp/sumo.html

Sue...

From: bz on
colp <colp(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in

> On Nov 21, 11:40 pm, "Dirk Van de moortel" <dirkvandemoor...(a)ThankS-NO-
> SperM.hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "colp" <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in
>> messagenews:06b84031-18aa-4644-bfb7-43f49f46ae6a(a)i37g2000hsd.googlegroup
>> s.com...
>> > This thought experiment is like the classic twin paradox, but in this
>> > expirement both twins leave earth and travel symmetric return trips
>> > in opposite directions.
>>
>> > Since the paths taken by the twins in this experiment are symmetric,
>> > they must be the same age when they meet on their return to earth.
>>
>> > In this experiment the twins maintain constant observation of each
>> > other's clocks, from when they depart until they return and find that
>> > their clocks tell the same time.
>>
>> > Special relativity says that each twin must observe that the other's
>> > clock is running slow, and at no time does special relativity allow
>> > for an observation which shows that the other clock is running fast.
>>
>> No, special relativity says much more precise than that
>> "moving clocks" are running slow.
>
> The Lorentz-Fitzgerald transform is more precise that my description,
> but that doesn't mean that my description is wrong.
>

>> It says something about intertial observers who measure
>> times between ticks on remote, moving clocks.
>>
>> When your two clocks fly apart, each clock will measure
>> this time to be longer and conclude that the other clock
>> is "running slower".
>> While clock A is coasting, according to clock A, each
>> tick on clock A is simultaneous with some tick on clock B
>> with a smaller time value.
>> While clock B is coasting, according to clock B, each
>> tick on clock B is simultaneous with some tick on clock A
>> with a smaller time value.
>
> Yes, that is the standard theory.
>

>> After clock A has made its turnaround, it has shifted to
>> another inertial frame, in which according to clock A, each
>> tick on clock A is simultaneous with some tick on clock B
>> with a larger time value.
>> After clock B has made its turnaround, it has shifted to
>> another inertial frame, in which according to clock B, each
>> tick on clock B is simultaneous with some tick on clock A
>> with a larger time value.
>
> Wrong. The other clock tick is still observed to have a smaller time
> value.
> This is because in the Lorentz-Fitzgerald transform the relative
> velocity term is squared, making the the issue of the clocks
> separating vs the clocks approaching irrelevant to the amount of time
> dilation.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

I think you forgot that the observation of the others clock must take
place via some signal that travels at c. Perhaps each clock digitally
encodes the date and time and transmits it by radio, every second. This is
cheaper than having an infinite set of observers for each inertial frame
of reference so that the clocks can be checked by a nearby observer
co-moving with the other ships frame of reference.

In any case, While traveling away from each other the signals from the
other ship are Doppler shifted downward in frequency and the time hacks
come further apart than once per second. When traveling toward each other,
the signal from the other ship is doppler shifted upward in frequency and
the time ticks arrive faster than once per second.

Once you correct for doppler shift (you do know the other ships tranmit
frequency), you can correct the times and know that the other ships clock
is ticking at the same rate as yours.

From: colp on
On Nov 22, 9:39 am, bz <bz+...(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:
> colp <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote innews:45e50819-65f6-46a3-a821-5c3698dd146a(a)p69g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:
>

> > On Nov 21, 11:40 pm, "Dirk Van de moortel" <dirkvandemoor...(a)ThankS-NO-
> > SperM.hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> "colp" <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in
> >> messagenews:06b84031-18aa-4644-bfb7-43f49f46ae6a(a)i37g2000hsd.googlegroup
> >> s.com...

> >> No, special relativity says much more precise than that
> >> "moving clocks" are running slow.
>
> > The Lorentz-Fitzgerald transform is more precise that my description,
> > but that doesn't mean that my description is wrong.
>
> >> It says something about intertial observers who measure
> >> times between ticks on remote, moving clocks.
>
> >> When your two clocks fly apart, each clock will measure
> >> this time to be longer and conclude that the other clock
> >> is "running slower".
> >> While clock A is coasting, according to clock A, each
> >> tick on clock A is simultaneous with some tick on clock B
> >> with a smaller time value.
> >> While clock B is coasting, according to clock B, each
> >> tick on clock B is simultaneous with some tick on clock A
> >> with a smaller time value.
>
> > Yes, that is the standard theory.
>
> >> After clock A has made its turnaround, it has shifted to
> >> another inertial frame, in which according to clock A, each
> >> tick on clock A is simultaneous with some tick on clock B
> >> with a larger time value.
> >> After clock B has made its turnaround, it has shifted to
> >> another inertial frame, in which according to clock B, each
> >> tick on clock B is simultaneous with some tick on clock A
> >> with a larger time value.
>
> > Wrong. The other clock tick is still observed to have a smaller time
> > value.
> > This is because in the Lorentz-Fitzgerald transform the relative
> > velocity term is squared, making the the issue of the clocks
> > separating vs the clocks approaching irrelevant to the amount of time
> > dilation.
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation
>
> I think you forgot that the observation of the others clock must take
> place via some signal that travels at c.

I didn't forget. The issue isn't critical in regard to the paradox,
that's all.

> Perhaps each clock digitally
> encodes the date and time and transmits it by radio, every second. This is
> cheaper than having an infinite set of observers for each inertial frame
> of reference so that the clocks can be checked by a nearby observer
> co-moving with the other ships frame of reference.

O.K.

> In any case, While traveling away from each other the signals from the
> other ship are Doppler shifted downward in frequency and the time hacks
> come further apart than once per second. When traveling toward each other,
> the signal from the other ship is doppler shifted upward in frequency and
> the time ticks arrive faster than once per second.

Technically I think it's called red & blue shift rather than doppler,
which
refers to sound rather electromatic radiation.

> Once you correct for doppler shift (you do know the other ships tranmit
> frequency), you can correct the times and know that the other ships clock
> is ticking at the same rate as yours.

Redshift/blueshift shift would be a real issue, but it is a different
one to
Lorentz-Fitzgerald time dilation. Redshift/blueshift is proportional
relative velocity, but time dilation has a non-linear relationship to
the
absolute value of the relative velocity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation