From: Bryan Olson on
colp wrote:
> Bryan Olson wrote:
>> colp wrote:
>>> Special relativity says that both
>>> clocks are observed to run slower than each other, and this is
>>> impossible when the clocks are in the same frame of reference. Thus
>>> the only logical conclusion is that special relativity is wrong.

>> You've gotten several good explanations of where your
>> reasoning on what relativity predicts went wrong: it's
>> all about the turn-around when the twins are far apart.
>
> Wrong. The turnaround does not have to occur at relativistic speeds.

Why ask the questions if you don't want to know the answers?

>> More generally, thought experiment alone cannot refute
>> relativity.
>
> Wrong again. A thought experiment which results in a paradox is a form
> of a reductio ad absurdum argument.

Which you cannot get, SR's self-consistency is established
beyond doubt. That much is mathematical, not physical.

--
--Bryan
From: Bryan Olson on
colp wrote:
> Why are you unable to explain the paradox?

The Colp Symmetric Twin Paradox Explained:

SR predicts the twins will be the same age when they return to
Earth, as does Newtonian mechanics. All experimental evidence
agrees.

The contradictory outcome was colp's own theory. His theory
adopted one effect of SR, but omitted others, leading to a
ludicrous conclusion.

Paradox explained.

--
--Bryan

From: Cosmik de Bris on
colp wrote:
> On Nov 23, 1:52 pm, Cosmik de Bris
> <cosmik.deb...(a)elec.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>> colp wrote:
>>> A circle is perfectly symmetrical.
>>> A finite distance.
>>> The paradox of the symmetric twins does not depend on magic.
>>> The paradox depends of the fact that (according to SR) a twin will
>>> observe the other clock slowing down and never observe it speeding up,
>>> and yet it must tell the same time as his own clock at the end of the
>>> experiment.
>> As Dirk has told you, and I have told you in the other newsgroup, you
>> need to learn some basics.
>
> What you and Dirk think I need is irrelevant.

We, Dirk, Bryan, me, are only trying to help you understand, but you
just don't want to know. Your poor understanding is the problem. What
you think are marvelous arguments are naiive. You think we can't answer
your questions and therefore we don't know anything, but your questions
are bordering on silly.

> Why are you unable to explain the paradox?

Because there isn't one.

From: colp on
On Nov 23, 2:30 pm, Cosmik de Bris
<cosmik.deb...(a)elec.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> colp wrote:
> > On Nov 23, 1:52 pm, Cosmik de Bris
> > <cosmik.deb...(a)elec.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> >> As Dirk has told you, and I have told you in the other newsgroup, you
> >> need to learn some basics.
>
> > What you and Dirk think I need is irrelevant.
>
> We, Dirk, Bryan, me, are only trying to help you understand, but you
> just don't want to know. Your poor understanding is the problem. What
> you think are marvelous arguments are naiive. You think we can't answer
> your questions and therefore we don't know anything, but your questions
> are bordering on silly.
>
> > Why are you unable to explain the paradox?
>
> Because there isn't one.

By paradox I mean a proposition which contains an internal
contradiction.

The proposition is described in the opening post. The contradiction is
that SR says that a twin sees the other clock showing an earlier time
than his clock at the end of the experiment, while symmetry says that
the twin sees both clocks showing the same time.
From: colp on
On Nov 23, 2:29 pm, Bryan Olson <fakeaddr...(a)nowhere.org> wrote:
> colp wrote:
> > Why are you unable to explain the paradox?
>
> The Colp Symmetric Twin Paradox Explained:
>
> SR predicts the twins will be the same age when they return to
> Earth, as does Newtonian mechanics. All experimental evidence
> agrees.

O.K.

> The contradictory outcome was colp's own theory.

Wrong. The contradictory outcome is a result of the theory of
relativity predicting that an observation will disagree with a
logically expected observation.

> His theory
> adopted one effect of SR, but omitted others, leading to a
> ludicrous conclusion.

What effect of SR do you think that I omitted?