From: Sue... on
On Nov 21, 8:33 pm, bz <bz+...(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:
[...}

> Oh, light clocks are not difficult to build.
> You can take a fiber optic transceiver and a mirror and a bit of
> electronics.
>
> Do a little optical impedance matching to free space and set up your mirror
> at a convenient distance.
> Set the electronics so that every time a tick is received, a new tick is
> launched.
> Press the little 'starter' button.
> You have a light clock.
>
> Any high school kid can build one.
>
> The real trick is to build a 'normal clock' that ACTS like sue says a
> 'normal clock' should act.

Have you read the chapter is SR about Fizeau's experiment?
Do you know how to use vector addiion to compute the
round trip of an aeroplane?

You and Dave still seem unfamilar with this material.

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/vectors/u3l1f.html

Do you know how to use it to compute how much a light-clock slows?

Sue...

From: bz on
"Sue..." <suzysewnshow(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote in

> On Nov 21, 8:33 pm, bz <bz+...(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:
> [...}
>>
>> Oh, light clocks are not difficult to build.
>> You can take a fiber optic transceiver and a mirror and a bit of
>> electronics.
>>
>> Do a little optical impedance matching to free space and set up your
>> mirror at a convenient distance.
>> Set the electronics so that every time a tick is received, a new tick
>> is launched.
>> Press the little 'starter' button.
>> You have a light clock.
>>
>> Any high school kid can build one.
>>
>> The real trick is to build a 'normal clock' that ACTS like sue says a
>> 'normal clock' should act.
>
> Have you read the chapter is SR about Fizeau's experiment?

'the chapter is SR'? perhaps you mean 'in'?

Fizeau measured effects of moving medium on light.

Does the Fizeau Experiment Really Test Special Relativity?
Authors: Clement, Gerard American Journal of Physics, v48 n12 p1059-62
Dec
1980 The motivation and interpretation of the Fizeau experiment are
reviewed, and its status as a test of special relativity is discussed. It
is shown, with the aid of a simplified, purely mechanical model of the
propagation of light in matter, that the experiment actually cannot
discriminate between Galilean and relativistic kinematics. (Author/SK)

The Experiment of Fizeau as a Test of Relativistic Simultaneity
Curt Renshaw -- he thinks Fizeau falsifies SR. He includes Doppler effects
in his calculations in a way that may not be valid.

> Do you know how to use vector addiion to compute the
> round trip of an aeroplane?

yes. I can even use vectors to calculate instantaneous power in a reactive
circuit. I don't need to use imaginary numbers or suppose that the power
is imaginary.

[quote from http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/events/einstein/reid.html]
Much more recently, there was some controversy over what happens when the
medium is moving at right angles to the direction of travel of the light.
The result was settled by an experiment carried out here in Aberdeen in
1971, with Prof R.V. Jones building the equipment and with Prof Mike
Player covering the theory. The result vindicated the predictions of
Maxwell�s equations and the predictions of special relativity. [unquote]

> You and Dave still seem unfamilar with this material.
>
> http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/vectors/u3l1f.html
>
> Do you know how to use it to compute how much a light-clock slows?

Light clocks gave Einstein a simple way to derive the Lorentz equations.
You seem to think that ONLY light clocks are effected by relativistic
motion.

The fact remains that ALL of our clocks seem to be 'ab'"normal clocks" by
your definition of normal. All seem to be influenced by relativistic
motion. [quote from http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/events/einstein/reid.html]
Rossi & Hall experiment
The original experiment was done by Rossi & Hall in 1941 who measured muon
fluxes not 10 km high but at the top of Mt Washington in New England,
about 2 km high, and at the base of the mountain. The effect is less for a
height difference of only 2 km but for their muon speeds of 0.994c,
relativistically the reduction should have been only a factor of 1.26
whereas without time dilation the reduction would be a factor of 8.5.
Rossi and Hall�s figures were consistent with the relativistic
prediction. The experiment has since been repeated by others with
convincing results. ....
In 1979 Bailey et al at a CERN accelerator reported a similar experiment
with CERN generated muons of speeds 0.9994c, trapped in a particle
accelerator, that were observed in the lab to have 29.3 times the muon
rest lifetime, completely consistent with time dilation. ....
One of the consequential results in relativity is that no bodies can
travel at a faster speed than the speed of light. Nobel prize winner
Sheldon Glashow and collaborator Sidney Coleman showed in 1997 that the
argument could be taken further. The mere existence of very high energy
cosmic ray photons reaching the Earth is strong proof, without any extra
experiment, of the existence of an upper limit of the speed of light c
for material bodies. Their argument is that photons decay by pair
production into electrons and positrons at a rate that can be calculated
from particle physics. If the upper limit to the speed of electrons
differed from c by a small amount, then high-energy photons (~20 Tev)
would decay in nanoseconds and never travel any significant distance from
their point of creation. The detection of these particles on Earth sets a
tight bound of an upper limit to the speed of matter being within
1.5�10-15 of c.
Would you bet your life on Special Relativity being true? Anyone who
relies on GPS in bad weather may be doing just that. Probably thousands of
aircraft passengers and crew do so every day. ....
Conclusion
I�m showing as a final slide a table that made an impression on me when I
first saw it many years ago. It lists 13 key experiments that have a
testing relevance to Special Relativity in the columns, and the
predictions of 6 alternative theories to Special Relativity in the rows.
The red boxes mark the places where the experimental results disagree with
the predictions of the theory. Only Special Relativity is in agreement
with all testing experiments. ....
1: Aberration, 2: Fizeau convection coefficient; 3: Michelson-Morley; 4:
Kennedy-Thorndike; 5: Moving sources and mirrors; 6: De Sitter
spectroscopic binaries; 7: Michelson-Morley, using sunlight 8: Variation
of mass with velocity; 9: General Mass-Energy equivalence; 10: Radiation
from moving charges; 11: Muon decay at high velocity; 12: Trouton-Noble;
13: Unipolar induction, using moving magnet. [unquote]

You, on the other hand seem to be a proponent of fringe science theories
such as those at http://www.wbabin.net/physics/light.htm
[quote]
Assigning the properties of superfluid to the physical vacuum allows us to
provide a physical model of the interaction of the photon with the
measurement system (to make more concrete, the physical meaning of the
dynamics "hidden" in the four-dimensional kinematics of special
relativity). Namely, at the interaction between the photon and the
measurement system a precession of the spins of the micro-particles
constituting the superfluid physical vacuum is generated in the vacuum
(the so-called uniformly precessing domain is created). The frequency of
the precession is the frequency of the photon detected by the measurement
system. [unquote]

Maybe L. B. Boldyreva and N. B. Sotina, HW, KS, and Sue are right. Maybe
time IS absolute and independent of motion through space. Maybe the clocks
in the GPS satellites only SEEM to be influenced by relativity. Maybe when
they are brought back to earth the missing ticks will be found to have
accumulated in a little 'tick bucket' and the clocks will be shown to be
the exact same age as their earthbound twins. Maybe the sun rises in the
west and sets in the east.

Show me one clock that doesn't appear to be influenced by relativistic
motion. [besides the pendulum clock which doesn't even run at zero G].

Why do we need to postulate some magical property of space [that we are
unable to observe here] and tie the observed slowing of all kinds of
clocks to the way that magical property interacts with moving matter?

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+spr(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
From: harry on

"colp" <colp(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in message
> On Nov 21, 11:40 pm, "Dirk Van de moortel" <dirkvandemoor...(a)ThankS-NO-
> SperM.hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "colp" <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in
>> messagenews:06b84031-18aa-4644-bfb7-43f49f46ae6a(a)i37g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...
>> > This thought experiment is like the classic twin paradox, but in this
>> > expirement both twins leave earth and travel symmetric return trips in
>> > opposite directions.
>>
>> > Since the paths taken by the twins in this experiment are symmetric,
>> > they must be the same age when they meet on their return to earth.
>>
>> > In this experiment the twins maintain constant observation of each
>> > other's clocks, from when they depart until they return and find that
>> > their clocks tell the same time.
>>
>> > Special relativity says that each twin must observe that the other's
>> > clock is running slow, and at no time does special relativity allow
>> > for an observation which shows that the other clock is running fast.
>>
>> No, special relativity says much more precise than that
>> "moving clocks" are running slow.
>
> The Lorentz-Fitzgerald transform is more precise that my description,
> but that doesn't mean that my description is wrong.
>

>> It says something about intertial observers who measure
>> times between ticks on remote, moving clocks.
>>
>> When your two clocks fly apart, each clock will measure
>> this time to be longer and conclude that the other clock
>> is "running slower".
>> While clock A is coasting, according to clock A, each
>> tick on clock A is simultaneous with some tick on clock B
>> with a smaller time value.
>> While clock B is coasting, according to clock B, each
>> tick on clock B is simultaneous with some tick on clock A
>> with a smaller time value.
>
> Yes, that is the standard theory.
>

>> After clock A has made its turnaround, it has shifted to
>> another inertial frame, in which according to clock A, each
>> tick on clock A is simultaneous with some tick on clock B
>> with a larger time value.
>> After clock B has made its turnaround, it has shifted to
>> another inertial frame, in which according to clock B, each
>> tick on clock B is simultaneous with some tick on clock A
>> with a larger time value.
>
> Wrong. The other clock tick is still observed to have a smaller time
> value.
> This is because in the Lorentz-Fitzgerald transform the relative
> velocity term is squared, making the the issue of the clocks
> separating vs the clocks approaching irrelevant to the amount of time
> dilation.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

That is indeed irrelevant but you are still mistaken because time dilation
is ALSO irrelevant at the instant of switching reference frames. Try:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity_of_simultaneity

Harald

From: Sue... on
On Nov 22, 3:27 am, bz <bz+...(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:
> "Sue..." <suzysewns...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote innews:7c3700d6-75df-4a6d-a7d2-ff1a5d44a7a8(a)o6g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:
>

> > On Nov 21, 8:33 pm, bz <bz+...(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:
> > [...}
>
> >> Oh, light clocks are not difficult to build.
> >> You can take a fiber optic transceiver and a mirror and a bit of
> >> electronics.
>
> >> Do a little optical impedance matching to free space and set up your
> >> mirror at a convenient distance.
> >> Set the electronics so that every time a tick is received, a new tick
> >> is launched.
> >> Press the little 'starter' button.
> >> You have a light clock.
>
> >> Any high school kid can build one.
>
> >> The real trick is to build a 'normal clock' that ACTS like sue says a
> >> 'normal clock' should act.
>
> > Have you read the chapter is SR about Fizeau's experiment?
>
> 'the chapter is SR'? perhaps you mean 'in'?
>
> Fizeau measured effects of moving medium on light.
>
> Does the Fizeau Experiment Really Test Special Relativity?
> Authors: Clement, Gerard American Journal of Physics, v48 n12 p1059-62
> Dec
> 1980 The motivation and interpretation of the Fizeau experiment are
> reviewed, and its status as a test of special relativity is discussed. It
> is shown, with the aid of a simplified, purely mechanical model of the
> propagation of light in matter, that the experiment actually cannot
> discriminate between Galilean and relativistic kinematics. (Author/SK)
>
> The Experiment of Fizeau as a Test of Relativistic Simultaneity
> Curt Renshaw -- he thinks Fizeau falsifies SR. He includes Doppler effects
> in his calculations in a way that may not be valid.
>
> > Do you know how to use vector addiion to compute the
> > round trip of an aeroplane?
>
> yes. I can even use vectors to calculate instantaneous power in a reactive
> circuit. I don't need to use imaginary numbers or suppose that the power
> is imaginary.
>
> [quote fromhttp://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/events/einstein/reid.html]
> Much more recently, there was some controversy over what happens when the
> medium is moving at right angles to the direction of travel of the light.
> The result was settled by an experiment carried out here in Aberdeen in
> 1971, with Prof R.V. Jones building the equipment and with Prof Mike
> Player covering the theory. The result vindicated the predictions of
> Maxwell's equations and the predictions of special relativity. [unquote]
>

> > You and Dave still seem unfamilar with this material.
>
> >http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/vectors/u3l1f.html
>
> > Do you know how to use it to compute how much a light-clock slows?
>
> Light clocks gave Einstein a simple way to derive the Lorentz equations.
> You seem to think that ONLY light clocks are effected by relativistic
> motion.

*Only* light clocks will match the Lornetz transform.

Again: !!!

<<A Lorentz transformation or any other coordinate
transformation will convert electric or magnetic
fields into mixtures of electric and magnetic fields,
but no transformation mixes them with the
gravitational field. >>
http://www.aip.org/pt/vol-58/iss-11/p31.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_fixing
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0204034

!!!

Light does not move inertially. You have said so
yourself.

[...]

> Would you bet your life on Special Relativity being true? Anyone who
> relies on GPS in bad weather may be doing just that. Probably thousands of
> aircraft passengers and crew do so every day. ....
> Conclusion

You are not using GR. You are in fact inadvertantly arguing aginst
its most basic assumtions. Inertial couplings can be modeled through
mass energy equivalence when Newton's ether is abandoned.

You keep putting the ether back into the interacton but you are
not insisting on a mass to make the coupling.

From the SUMO link you probably noticed moving mass is
not condidered equivalent to moving light. If you believe
it is then you need to offer your services to develop
long-range atom lasers.

> I'm showing as a final slide a table that made an impression on me when I
> first saw it many years ago. It lists 13 key experiments that have a
> testing relevance to Special Relativity in the columns, and the
> predictions of 6 alternative theories to Special Relativity in the rows.
> The red boxes mark the places where the experimental results disagree with
> the predictions of the theory. Only Special Relativity is in agreement
> with all testing experiments. ....
> 1: Aberration, 2: Fizeau convection coefficient; 3: Michelson-Morley; 4:
> Kennedy-Thorndike; 5: Moving sources and mirrors; 6: De Sitter
> spectroscopic binaries; 7: Michelson-Morley, using sunlight 8: Variation
> of mass with velocity; 9: General Mass-Energy equivalence; 10: Radiation
> from moving charges; 11: Muon decay at high velocity; 12: Trouton-Noble;
> 13: Unipolar induction, using moving magnet. [unquote]

Is special relativity running for public office?
That is no substitute for some evidence that light moves
inertially.

My automoble does not recoil backward when I switch on
the headlamps so I am not hopeful you will find any
evidence.

> You, on the other hand seem to be a proponent of fringe science theories
> such as those at
ht tp://ww w.wbabin.net/physics/light.htm

Most of my URL's are to Einstien 1920 paper, his Nobel lecture
Weinberg's articles or Fitzpatrick's lectures. Which are you
calling *fringe science* ?

> [quote]

The article I never offered snipped and it's URL crippled.
If you want to argue about something I offered, I am happy
to do so, but don't ask me to support or refute something
you can only attibute to a Vulcan mind-meld.

....and stop trying to read my mind. It is Written in Swahili.
:o)

> Maybe L. B. Boldyreva and N. B. Sotina, HW, KS, and Sue are right. Maybe
> time IS absolute and independent of motion through space. Maybe the clocks
> in the GPS satellites only SEEM to be influenced by relativity. Maybe when
> they are brought back to earth the missing ticks will be found to have
> accumulated in a little 'tick bucket' and the clocks will be shown to be
> the exact same age as their earthbound twins. Maybe the sun rises in the
> west and sets in the east.

I don't know about L. B. Boldyreva and N. B. Sotina but
Einstein, Hilbert and Noether seemed to think time had to
be as invariant as mass.

<< invariance with respect to time translation
gives the well known law of conservation of energy >>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether's_theorem

If you want to trade energy for time then drive
a faster car to work. The *time* you saved
in transit will appear on you fuel bill.

....and you'll also find that silly plot of
proper-time intervals used as a feeble prop
for the twins myth, actually corresponds to
a real world phenomena instead of absurd
nonsense. It will correspond to the *energy*
exchanged by your automobile.

> Show me one clock that doesn't appear to be influenced by relativistic
> motion. [besides the pendulum clock which doesn't even run at zero G].

No... You need to better define terms if you want to prompt
meaningful study of some particular clock design.
*appear* *relativistic*
Also consider the part played by mass, inertia and
oscillator path length for any particular design.

> Why do we need to postulate some magical property of space [that we are
> unable to observe here] and tie the observed slowing of all kinds of
> clocks to the way that magical property interacts with moving matter?

We need to do this because we do not have a mechanism for
gravity. When a pushed car pushes back for a period of *time*
we are attributing the effect to a mass elsewhere that the
car cannot communicate with, faster than the speed of light.

<< I shall turn to those problems which are
related to the development which I have
traced. Already Newton recognized that the
law of inertia is unsatisfactory
in a context so far unmentioned in this
exposition, namely that it gives no
real cause for the special physical
position of the states of motion of the
inertial frames relative to all other
states of motion. It makes the observable
material bodies responsible for the
gravitational behaviour of a material
point, yet indicates no material cause
for the inertial behaviour of the material
point but devises the cause for it
(absolute space or inertial ether). This
is not logically inadmissible although
it is unsatisfactory. For this reason
E. Mach demanded a modification of the
law of inertia in the sense that the
inertia should be interpreted as an
acceleration resistance of the bodies
against one another and not against "space".
This interpretation governs the expectation
that accelerated bodies have concordant
accelerating action in the same
sense on other bodies (acceleration induction).
This interpretation is even more
plausible according to general relativity
which eliminates the distinction between
inertial and gravitational effects.
It amounts to stipulating that, apart
from the arbitrariness governed by the
free choice of coordinates, the
gm v -field shall be completely determined
by the matter. Mach's stipulation is favoured
in general relativity by the circumstance
that acceleration induction in accordance
with the gravitational field equations really
exists, although of such slight intensity
that direct detection by mechanical experiments
is out of the question. >>
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1921/einstein-lecture.html

Sue...

From: harry on

> On Nov 22, 5:48 am, "Josef Matz" <josefm...(a)arcor.de> wrote:
> <snip>
>> Hello Dirk
>>
>> If you could mathematically demonstrate that the time delays of the
>> symmetric clock A as viewed by B can be
>> compensated somehow you have solved the paradox !
>>
>> Would you tell us idiots how this runs in SR ?
>
> A solution could include an argument from general relativity as well,
> since the twins must spend time in non-inertial frames in order to
> accelearate/decelerate and turn around. I don't think it would solve
> the paradox though because the dilation effects can be increased
> arbitrarily by extending the amount of time spent in inertial frames.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/TwinParadox/twin_intro.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox

Regards,
Harald