From: Bryan Olson on
colp wrote:
> Bryan Olson wrote:
>> colp wrote:
>>> Why are you unable to explain the paradox?
>> The Colp Symmetric Twin Paradox Explained:
>>
>> SR predicts the twins will be the same age when they return to
>> Earth, as does Newtonian mechanics. All experimental evidence
>> agrees.
>
> O.K.
>
>> The contradictory outcome was colp's own theory.
>
> Wrong. The contradictory outcome is a result of the theory of
> relativity predicting that an observation will disagree with a
> logically expected observation.

That's just more of the same wrong theory. Lacking any
reference citing the claims to another source, I stand by my
description of the error as colp's own theory.

>> His theory
>> adopted one effect of SR, but omitted others, leading to a
>> ludicrous conclusion.
>
> What effect of SR do you think that I omitted?

Several of us have explained and cited what colp is missing.
For some reason, he thinks changing frames has no significant
effect, contrary to what SR holds.

--
--Bryan
From: bz on
"Sue..." <suzysewnshow(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote in

> C. S. Unnikrishnan
> Gravitation Group,
> Tata Institute of Fundamental Research,
> Homi Bhabha Road, Mumbai 400 005, India
> http://www.iisc.ernet.in/currsci/dec252005/2009.pdf

[quote]
It is well known from experiments that the rate of a clock,
while being affected by motion, does not change due to
acceleration. In particular, the rate of a clock in uniform
circular motion is the same as the rate of a clock that is in
rectilinear motion at the same speed. This means that the
rate of the clock B does not change in a manner different
from what is expected from the usual Lorentz factor
modification while decelerating from velocity v to zero.
[unquote]

Notice, he says that the rate of a clock IS affected by motion.

[quote]
I may also note here that a logically consistent possibility is to
acknowledge that the rate of a clock is modified according
to the standard Lorentz factor with the velocity always
relative to the average rest frame of the universe or
the frame in which the cosmic microwave background radiation
(CMBR) is isotropic, and then there is never a
paradox of the clocks. Indeed, the entire voluminous and
elaborate writings on the twin clock problem can all be
replaced by the single-sentence resolution that the clocks
age with Lorentz factors corresponding to their velocity
relative to the preferred frame of the matter-filled universe.
The answer is always unique, unambiguous and it
matches with all known experimental results. Further, it
does not discriminate between inertial and noninertial motion
and this simplifies and unifies all calculations on clock
comparisons, including those required in sophisticated
GPS timing. The universe as a preferred frame provides
the unambiguous solution to the twin clock problem, and
this point is discussed in detail elsewhere9.
[unquote]

He does NOT claim that clocks are unaffected by motion. He says that there
is no paradox if you study the motion from a single framework. He picks
one based on the CMBR. It appears to me that the use of ANY single
inertial frame of reference would resolve the problem.

I think that you must either change your stance or cease to cite this
paper as support for your stance.

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+spr(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
From: bz on
colp <colp(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in news:6563b0dc-a429-4788-9be7-
1b7afcdf9533(a)e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> On Nov 23, 1:20 pm, Bryan Olson <fakeaddr...(a)nowhere.org> wrote:
>> colp wrote:
>> > Special relativity says that both
>> > clocks are observed to run slower than each other, and this is
>> > impossible when the clocks are in the same frame of reference. Thus
>> > the only logical conclusion is that special relativity is wrong.
>>
>> You've gotten several good explanations of where your
>> reasoning on what relativity predicts went wrong: it's
>> all about the turn-around when the twins are far apart.
>
> Wrong. The turnaround does not have to occur at relativistic speeds.

A turn around NEVER** occurs 'at relativistic speeds' because it involves
reducing the 'velocity of separation' to zero before developing a 'closing
velocity'.
[**it is possible to remain at relativistic speeds by making a large arc,
but this would be wasteful of time and fuel]

>> More generally, thought experiment alone cannot refute
>> relativity.
>
> Wrong again. A thought experiment which results in a paradox is a form
> of a reductio ad absurdum argument.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

but what is being reduced? The thing that is being reduced in the normal
twins paradox is the idea that
'what is seen is important'. Each observer 'sees the other travel away and
then return'. So it would seem natural that each would experience the same
time effects.
But what is unseen [but felt] is important. One accelerates. The other
doesn't.
One moves differently with respect to the universe than the other.
Those differences are important.

The 'paradox' you set down is also resolved by studying both travelers from
the viewpoint of their younger sister.
She stays at home on earth and tracks her brothers as they travel away and
return.
She sees their clocks running at the same rates but at a different rate
from hers.

The only thing absurd would be to assume that what each 'sees' happening to
the clocks on earth or on the other ship actually has an effect on those
clocks.
The only thing that changes a clock is the fact that each takes a different
path through time-space and ends up together again at a common time and
space.
Different distances have been traversed in the journey between the starting
and ending points.
Different distance in 'x,y,z' AND in 't'.
So, it should be no surprise that the odometers that each carried with them
have changed and the clocks have also changed.
Since each traveler went the same distance, their odometers read the same.
Their clocks also accumulated the same time.
The stay at home sisters odometer has only added a few miles (she went out
to dinner occasionally), but her clock has accumulated more time than her
brothers.
This is because the total distance that each traveled through space-time is
equal. It is equal because they started together and ended up back
together.

It is like we start at 1,1 on the graph paper and both end up at 2,2
You travel directly, in a straight line from 1,1 to 2,2

I go from 1,1 to 2,1 and then from 2,1 to 2,2
I traveled a distance of 2 units, you only traveled the square root of 2
units.
We started at the same point and ended at the same point but traveled
different distances.

Should this surprise anyone?

From: bz on

> On Nov 23, 3:06 pm, Cosmik de Bris
> <cosmik.deb...(a)elec.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>> colp wrote:

>> > By paradox I mean a proposition which contains an internal
>> > contradiction.
>>
>> > The proposition is described in the opening post. The contradiction
>> > is that SR says that a twin sees the other clock showing an earlier
>> > time than his clock at the end of the experiment, while symmetry says
>> > that the twin sees both clocks showing the same time.
>>
>> For the symmetrical case which you seem to think is miraculous in some
>> way, SR says that the clocks will read the same at the end of the
>> experiment.
>
> Like I said, the paradox of the symmetric twins does not depend on
> magic (or miracles).
>
>> You say they won't.
>
> Wrong. I say that the results are contradictory.
> SR says that they won't read the same from the frame of reference of
> one of the twins.

SR says that they do not read the same until the twins are reunited.
At that point in space-time, SR says that they WILL read the same.

You are mistaken in what you think SR says.

From: bz on
colp <colp(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in news:837a2c0c-8bfc-4aa8-8f45-
1267e6c0a1f6(a)e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> On Nov 23, 1:53 pm, "Sue..." <suzysewns...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> On Nov 22, 7:20 pm, Bryan Olson <fakeaddr...(a)nowhere.org> wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> > When my own trials of thought experiments yield
>> > conflicting outcomes, as they often do, I have to ask
>> > myself: Did I just refute the work of all those
>> > scientists and mathematicians, or did I think I knew
>> > more than I did? Turns out one of those possibilities
>> > is quite a bit more likely than the other.
>>
>> Perhaps you should compare the 1905 paper used
>> by proponents of the twins myth with the 1920
>> paper which only couples to inertia by mass
>> energy equivalence.
>
> If there is one thing that science doesn't like, it is having to say
> that it can't explain the phenomena.

Science does NOT seek to explain phenomena.

Science seeks to study phenomena that are observable, verifiable,
identifiable and formulate theories that allow the prediction of further
phenomena.

A theory MUST be falsifiable. In other words, it must be possible to
formulate an experiment that MIGHT show the theory to be wrong.
A theory that can not be tested is not a scientific theory, it is
philosophy.

Take 'ghosts', demons, gods; science is perfectly content to say that it
can't explain these things. It can't even study them because it cant
observe them.

It can, of course, study the behavior of people that claim to have seen
these things.
It can, of course, record what is present when someone claims to be seeing
a ghost.
Those are the realm of science and can be studied. But non observables can
not and are not part of science.

Your statement indicates a lack of understanding of how science works.

Perhaps your [lack of]understanding of the aim of science is the basis of
your confusion about the twins paradox.