From: Bryan Olson on
Sue... wrote:
> Bryan Olson wrote:
>> When my own trials of thought experiments yield
>> conflicting outcomes, as they often do, I have to ask
>> myself: Did I just refute the work of all those
>> scientists and mathematicians, or did I think I knew
>> more than I did? Turns out one of those possibilities
>> is quite a bit more likely than the other.
>
> Perhaps you should compare the 1905 paper used
> by proponents of the twins myth with the 1920
> paper

I'm not so into the historical minutia.

> which only couples to inertia by mass
> energy equivalence.
>
> http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/
> http://www.bartleby.com/173/

> Then you can debate with yourself whether
> 'tis more likely Einstein was right in 1905
> or in 1920.

I like the 1920 work, but reading it in an effort to find
discrepancies with other explanations is unlikely to be
helpful. Try putting aside what you think you know and
reading purely for understanding.

--
--Bryan
From: Cosmik de Bris on
colp wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2:30 pm, Cosmik de Bris
> <cosmik.deb...(a)elec.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>> colp wrote:
>>> What you and Dirk think I need is irrelevant.
>> We, Dirk, Bryan, me, are only trying to help you understand, but you
>> just don't want to know. Your poor understanding is the problem. What
>> you think are marvelous arguments are naiive. You think we can't answer
>> your questions and therefore we don't know anything, but your questions
>> are bordering on silly.
>>
>>> Why are you unable to explain the paradox?
>> Because there isn't one.
>
> By paradox I mean a proposition which contains an internal
> contradiction.
>
> The proposition is described in the opening post. The contradiction is
> that SR says that a twin sees the other clock showing an earlier time
> than his clock at the end of the experiment, while symmetry says that
> the twin sees both clocks showing the same time.

For the symmetrical case which you seem to think is miraculous in some
way, SR says that the clocks will read the same at the end of the
experiment. You say they won't. You are wrong.

From: colp on
Bryan Olson wrote:
> colp wrote:
> > Bryan Olson wrote:
>
> >> You've gotten several good explanations of where your
> >> reasoning on what relativity predicts went wrong: it's
> >> all about the turn-around when the twins are far apart.
> >
> > Wrong. The turnaround does not have to occur at relativistic speeds.
>
> Why ask the questions if you don't want to know the answers?

Because I'm looking for truthful answers.

> >> More generally, thought experiment alone cannot refute
> >> relativity.
> >
> > Wrong again. A thought experiment which results in a paradox is a form
> > of a reductio ad absurdum argument.
>
> Which you cannot get, SR's self-consistency is established
> beyond doubt.

Wrong. The contradiction described in the OP proves that it is not
self consistent.

> That much is mathematical, not physical.

The contradiction depends on the nature of a mathematical transform
fundamental to SR.
From: colp on
On Nov 23, 3:06 pm, Cosmik de Bris
<cosmik.deb...(a)elec.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> colp wrote:
> > On Nov 23, 2:30 pm, Cosmik de Bris
> > <cosmik.deb...(a)elec.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> >> We, Dirk, Bryan, me, are only trying to help you understand, but you
> >> just don't want to know. Your poor understanding is the problem. What
> >> you think are marvelous arguments are naiive. You think we can't answer
> >> your questions and therefore we don't know anything, but your questions
> >> are bordering on silly.

> >> Because there isn't one.
>
> > By paradox I mean a proposition which contains an internal
> > contradiction.
>
> > The proposition is described in the opening post. The contradiction is
> > that SR says that a twin sees the other clock showing an earlier time
> > than his clock at the end of the experiment, while symmetry says that
> > the twin sees both clocks showing the same time.
>
> For the symmetrical case which you seem to think is miraculous in some
> way, SR says that the clocks will read the same at the end of the
> experiment.

Like I said, the paradox of the symmetric twins does not depend on
magic (or miracles).

> You say they won't.

Wrong. I say that the results are contradictory.
SR says that they won't read the same from the frame of reference of
one of the twins.
From: colp on
On Nov 23, 1:53 pm, "Sue..." <suzysewns...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Nov 22, 7:20 pm, Bryan Olson <fakeaddr...(a)nowhere.org> wrote:
<snip>

> > When my own trials of thought experiments yield
> > conflicting outcomes, as they often do, I have to ask
> > myself: Did I just refute the work of all those
> > scientists and mathematicians, or did I think I knew
> > more than I did? Turns out one of those possibilities
> > is quite a bit more likely than the other.
>
> Perhaps you should compare the 1905 paper used
> by proponents of the twins myth with the 1920
> paper which only couples to inertia by mass
> energy equivalence.

If there is one thing that science doesn't like, it is having to say
that it can't explain the phenomena.