From: Superzooms Still Win on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 22:56:19 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

>Superzooms Still Win wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 22:01:27 -0700, Paul Furman<paul-@-edgehill.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Like this?
>>> http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/9835/spotswb.jpg
>>> Are you sure you want to increase green?
>>
>> Roughly +10% to +15% green
>
>1.2x green shown. It looks awful.

Did I type +20% above? Oh wait, that's right, you're a troll. You often
read 10 or 15 as 20.

>> and -30% blue is just about right.
>
>.83x blue show, as I suggested, if anything.

Did I type -17% blue? Oh, that's right. You perceive -30 as -17 because
you're a lousy troll.

>I combined those two for your recipe...

No you didn't.

>> That restores
>> the original colors close to what they should be in that lighting.
>
>So the sickly green deer in the lower left is your preference?
>http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1346/spotswbbleck.jpg

It's closer to how it appears in nature under that lighting and all the
green reflecting off of the foliage, but far from the correct color
balance. I leave it up to basement living trolls like you who have never
seen a deer in the woods to always get it wrong.

From: Paul Furman on
Superzooms Still Win wrote:

>>> Using shallow DOF in this shot would totally destroy why it was taken and
>>> why it has to be shot this way in order for it to work.
>>>
>>> <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4849242652_76160e4a2c.jpg>
>>>
>>> I'd explain to you why, but
>>
>> Shallow DOF could have saved this one.
>
> The REASON that that image WORKS is because it shows how well they can lie
> in the grass and NOT BE SEEN.

By a moth.

> This is what hunters see.

Not unless their eyes are 1/4 inch apart or they're blind in one eye.
Stereo vision allows us to to look around twigs and grass blades easily.

The 77mm diameter of a typical pro f/2.8 FX zoom is about the same
spacing as our eyes, though I'm not sure if that translates directly -
it's in the ballpark. I see this a bunch when doing macro focus stacks,
you get 'x-ray vision' through foreground elements and have to manually
retouch so it doesn't look translucent. Yes it looks different but gets
more of the sense of stereo vision, and closer to the functional ability
of the critters in the grass.

From: Superzooms Still Win on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 23:37:50 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

>>> Shallow DOF could have saved this one.
>>
>> The REASON that that image WORKS is because it shows how well they can lie
>> in the grass and NOT BE SEEN.
>
>By a moth.
>

>> This is what hunters see.
>
>Not unless their eyes are 1/4 inch apart or they're blind in one eye.
>Stereo vision allows us to to look around twigs and grass blades easily.

Not at the distance that a hunter or predator would have to spot their
prey. Enjoying that basement-experienced life of yours, still?

>The 77mm diameter of a typical pro f/2.8 FX zoom is about the same
>spacing as our eyes, though I'm not sure if that translates directly -
>it's in the ballpark. I see this a bunch when doing macro focus stacks,
>you get 'x-ray vision' through foreground elements and have to manually
>retouch so it doesn't look translucent. Yes it looks different but gets
>more of the sense of stereo vision, and closer to the functional ability
>of the critters in the grass.

How fascinating, that you finally noticed such simple things. More
tech-head, troll-head bullshit about a subject size that is totally
unrelated to what was being discussed. One that has nothing to do with the
art of nature photography that was being discussed, but means everything to
a pure troll like you.

Squirm some more with your reasoning and proofs! This is entertaining! Like
when I study other worms and leeches. They wriggle just like you are doing
when prodded too.

LOL!

From: DanP on
On Aug 1, 5:50 am, Superzooms Still Win <s...(a)noaddress.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 22:30:23 -0400, "Tim Conway" <tconway_...(a)comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

> >"Larry Thong" <larry_th...(a)shitstring.com> wrote in message
> >> Well, maybe just a little spotty.
>
> >> <http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm261/Ritaberk/Spots.jpg>
>
> >Nice shot.  Just needs a catchlight in the eyes.  ;-)
>
> Blue foliage, red fur, someone sorely needs a camera, monitor, or eyes
> adjusted. Did anyone mention the worthless underexposed composition yet?
> Interesting that the leaves in front are more in focus than the deer. Looks
> like its just as much of a problem with camera and lenses as it is the
> snapshooter.
>
> <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/4847902759_058421b547_b.jpg>

WB is not the point here. You have picked it because you cannot find a
fault with the lens (see thread name).
And WB can be easily fixed.

DanP
From: Superzooms Still Win on
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 02:11:52 -0700 (PDT), DanP <dan.petre(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Aug 1, 5:50�am, Superzooms Still Win <s...(a)noaddress.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 22:30:23 -0400, "Tim Conway" <tconway_...(a)comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Larry Thong" <larry_th...(a)shitstring.com> wrote in message

>> >Nice shot. �Just needs a catchlight in the eyes. �;-)
>>
>> Blue foliage, red fur, someone sorely needs a camera, monitor, or eyes
>> adjusted. Did anyone mention the worthless underexposed composition yet?
>> Interesting that the leaves in front are more in focus than the deer. Looks
>> like its just as much of a problem with camera and lenses as it is the
>> snapshooter.
>>
>> <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/4847902759_058421b547_b.jpg>
>
>WB is not the point here. You have picked it because you cannot find a
>fault with the lens (see thread name).

I guess the too shallow DOF and portions of the subject being blurred are
not the fault of the lens. You're right, they're the fault of using too
large of a sensor WITH that lens. They're BOTH at fault. Add in the
crapshooter holding them and you have the disaster that was posted.

>And WB can be easily fixed.

Oh really? You haven't read the rest of this thread yet, have you.

>DanP

YOU FUCKINGLY USELESS PRETEND-PHOTOGRAPHER TROLL.