From: David Mark on
On Jul 22, 6:14 pm, Alan Gutierrez <a...(a)blogometer.com> wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
> > On Jul 22, 8:12 am, "rf" <r...(a)z.invalid> wrote:
> >> "David Mark" <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> And it's also not a place to advertise ones wares.
>
> > Not necessarily.  If it is of interest to JS developers...
>
> It is in bad taste.

It's one post (out of over 5,000). Get over it.
From: S.T. on
On 7/22/2010 3:14 PM, David Mark wrote:
>> I most enjoyed how the rates go up in the event "your questions require
>> more than a minute effort to answer". That's classic.
>
> Broad open-ended questions are not included. Those typically lead to
> consulting, which is a different service. And you'd be surprised what
> I can answer in a minute. ;)

I read 'minute' as [mai-niut], not [mi-nit].

Both possibilities strike me as odd.

From: David Mark on
On Jul 22, 5:10 pm, Stefan Weiss <krewech...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/07/10 22:02, David Mark wrote:
>
> > The business model is not of my conception, but has
> > worked well for me so far.  The idea is that you can't ask dozens of
> > questions a month, but (in a pinch) can ask up to three in a single
> > day.  It's insurance.  If you abuse it, your rates go up.
>
> So what are the rates for your insurance?

Your first month is $100 (US). If it turns out you are working on
some huge RIA during that month and ask dozens of questions, then we
will clearly have to renegotiate for subsequent renewals.

> There's no information about
> this service on your website.

I've been rolling it out slowly to see how it goes. And if you
notice, there's no information on my Website about anything but My
Library at the moment. That will change in the near future.

> I hope I don't need to have an existing account to get an answer to this
> question ;-)

Nah, as mentioned, Usenet is always free. If I'm around, you may well
be in luck. If not, you still may get a timely and useful answer, but
the odds definitely drop. My clients are businesses (or individual
entrepreneurs) and so don't like to gamble every time they hit a brick
wall. That's the point.

> You should also be a little more explicit about what
> exactly you're offering.

It was just a teaser post. A proper marketing effort is in the
works. I'm not in any big hurry. It's a new sideline and I wanted to
see how it would work before offering it to the whole world.
Insurance companies go under all the time from being overly optimistic
about actuarial matters.

And if you want more information, you are welcome to write (or IM).

> Authorities usually frown on the type of
> businessmen who show up uninvited, often in dark suits, and try to
> convince shop owners that it would be wise to buy some "insurance"...

Really nice Website you got there... Shame if something were to
happen to it. After all, libraries break. :)

The difference is that I'm not selling the problems, just solutions.
From: Alan Gutierrez on
David Mark wrote:
> On Jul 22, 6:14 pm, Alan Gutierrez <a...(a)blogometer.com> wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> Not necessarily. If it is of interest to JS developers...
>> It is in bad taste.
>>

> It's one post (out of over 5,000). Get over it.

I'm offering feedback. It is in bad taste.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan(a)blogometer.com - http://twitter.com/bigeasy
From: David Mark on
On Jul 22, 6:46 pm, Alan Gutierrez <a...(a)blogometer.com> wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
> >> It is in bad taste.
>
> > It's one post (out of over 5,000).  Get over it.
>
> I'm offering feedback. It is in bad taste.

Fair enough. To a certain point I agree (and acknowledged this in the
post). On Usenet (as in life) you take the good with the bad.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: complete page rewriting
Next: td inner border