From: David Mark on
On Jul 22, 8:55 pm, Andrew Poulos <ap_p...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 23/07/2010 9:23 AM, David Mark wrote:

> >> I don't think there's much wrong with a small developer putting an ad in
> >> for their services every once in a while. Especially when the developer
> >> spends so much time "helping" others in this group.
>
> > Thanks.  :)  But what do the quotes indicate?  I have helped lots of
> > people, though many of them resisted my efforts furiously, right up
> > until the point of the inevitable epiphany.
>
> Yes, precisely. Sometimes helping others means giving them a kick in the
> pants (it happened to me at least once when I was insistent on coding
> something stupidly).

Some people learn and do better; some people chant dubious rhetoric to
ease the pain of endless futility. A currently popular number goes
something like: "Awww, UR just jealous coz I use jQuery and UR trying
to take their tools." Or something like that. :)
From: Garrett Smith on
On 2010-07-22 04:44 PM, IncaRedible wrote:
> Alan Gutierrez wrote:
>
>> David Mark wrote:
>>>>

>>> As pathetic as a known jQuery apologist (and virtual basket-case on
>>> his worst days) wasting time in a thread that is none of his concern?
>>
>> I'm sorry. I didn't know that you were the man who owned USENET. Is this
>> thread any of my concern? May I post in it.
>
> Do you think that you're adding to the discussion, or simply venting your
> hostility?

comp.lang.javascript is an unmoderated newsgroup and so although anybody
can post anything, anyone else may comment if he feels that post is
off-topic or inappropriate.

Anyone who is pointing out that a post is off-topic is, as DM put it,
"not minding [his] own business." Those individuals are proactively
discouraging such discussions and probably for good reasons, such as to
encourage more productive discussions.
--
Garrett
From: David Mark on
On Jul 23, 3:33 am, SteveYoungGoogle <stephen.jo...(a)googlemail.com>
wrote:
> On Jul 22, 1:44 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "This newsgroup is not a help desk" is likely a familiar refrain for
> > anyone who has spent time in it.  I enjoy advising people here when I
> > have the time, but like all who do similar, I cannot be expected to
> > solve (or even attempt to solve) every problem that floats in here.
>
> Personally, I would be happy to pay you not to answer my posts.

What posts would those be? In any event, it's on the house. :)
From: SteveYoungGoogle on
On Jul 23, 11:02 am, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 3:33 am, SteveYoungGoogle <stephen.jo...(a)googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 22, 1:44 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > "This newsgroup is not a help desk" is likely a familiar refrain for
> > > anyone who has spent time in it.  I enjoy advising people here when I
> > > have the time, but like all who do similar, I cannot be expected to
> > > solve (or even attempt to solve) every problem that floats in here.
>
> > Personally, I would be happy to pay you not to answer my posts.
>
> What posts would those be?  In any event, it's on the house.  :)

I stopped posting to c.l.j because you invariably snipped my posts and
turned the thread into either rant against jQuery (which, by the way,
I have never used just as I have never used any other framework or
library) or into an advertisement for your latest fad/project. I could
give you many examples such as here
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thread/d5eb5cbd0436f202/c7466c3598b7ab41?q=mark&lnk=ol&#
where I begged you not to get involved and let others answer but to no
avail. So eventually I stopped posting, as I suspect have so many
others.

For your information I am not a EMCAScript developer, I am a Microwave
Radio Engineer and several years ago I decided I wanted to learn
EMCAScript in order to provide microwave link planning tools, for
free, on the Web. The Line of Sight tool is here
http://members.chello.at/stephen.joung/indexDistanceElevation.html and
the Link Planning tool is here http://members.chello.at/stephen.joung/indexMW_Distance20.html

But I soon learned that you have a real anger directed at newcomers or
anyone who asks a question that you consider to be simple and rather
than let someone else answer you feel duty bound to insult the
questioner and his question. I’m afraid this is what has made
EMCAScript newcomers stay away in droves and without fresh blood
c.l.j. has become stale. In my opinion it’s mainly down to you and
this is why I sometimes cannot stop myself from knocking you off the
pedestal you have put yourself on.

Cheers, Steve.
From: Kenneth Tilton on
SteveYoungGoogle wrote:
> On Jul 23, 11:02 am, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 23, 3:33 am, SteveYoungGoogle <stephen.jo...(a)googlemail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Personally, I would be happy to pay you not to answer my posts.
>> What posts would those be? In any event, it's on the house. :)
>
> I stopped posting to c.l.j because you invariably snipped my posts and
> turned the thread into either rant against jQuery (which, by the way,
> I have never used just as I have never used any other framework or
> library) or into an advertisement for your latest fad/project. I could
> give you many examples such as here
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thread/d5eb5cbd0436f202/c7466c3598b7ab41?q=mark&lnk=ol&#
> where I begged you not to get involved and let others answer but to no
> avail. So eventually I stopped posting, as I suspect have so many
> others.

Why didn't you use a killfile entry? That's what I do since I know that
I lack the will power to ignore the ding dongs. Works well.

I agree, however, that this group is a wasteland compared to other
groups where one can usually get help in spite of the ever-present ding
dongs in any group, and that it may well be because of the pack of
hyenas led by Mr. Mark.

kt

--
http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
"The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."