From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Oreally" <sashago(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> Virus total finds 19% (8/42)........what do you guys think?

My educated guess is that they are false positive declarations, and
Kasperky's next update will probably make them not continue to be
alerted to when scanned.

IOW ignore them and they will go away.

I can't actually confirm that this is the case, but there are
conversations going on (used Google).

From: Oreally on
Thanks for your coherent reply!

Just Curious.....if you set the security parameters for a folder or a file
to "Deny" will that lock the folder or file and prevent any possible viruses
from migrating?

Thanks,

Oreally

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
Usually (though unfortunately not always), when the malware type is
"trojan", you are *not* dealing with a virus.

A trojan is a program that you think you want to execute because you are
unaware that instead of or in addition to what you think it does, it
also does something you would *not* want done (for instance, kill the
box). If you had known about it in advance, you would not have executed
it. The thing that it does (bad) is the "payload" (where the malware
authors intent (kill the box) is realized).

A virus is a self-replicating (and some say, infecting) program, and it
can (copy) carry a payload with it . If you combine these two concepts -
have the self-replicator also copy the trojan's payload the beast
becomes a "virus" with a payload (the former trojan's payload). Payload
activation can be timed (like a time bomb). The absence of a payload,
does not disqualify a self-replicating infector from being a virus.

As for viruses (or malware in general) being able overcome a "deny",
no - but malware executing with sufficient privilege can read/write
anywhere. Viruses don't *need* to exploit software vulnerabilities, but
if they can escalate privilege by doing so, they will because it gives
them greater scope.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Oreally" <sashago(a)comcast.net>

| Virus total finds 19% (8/42)........what do you guys think?

| Oreally

Since you di NOT post the VT report, nothing.

I have seen cases of of False Positives being wide spread amongst vendors.

I'll tell 'ya what...

Upload the file to UploadMalare.Com and I'll analyze this file and let you know what's up
with it.
http://www.uploadmalware.com/

Reply back when you have uploaded it.

--
Dave

From: Oreally on
Thanks.....

I've loaded 6 of the files.....(there were 10 total)

Let me know,

Oreally