From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Oreally" <sashago(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Looks like Kapersky has removed Trojan-Spy.Win32.Agent.beaf from the
> threats for the HP folder.

Took 'em long enough. Early on I was going to suggest that you scan
again just to check if it had been remedied (fully expecting it to be
so).

> However they still identify
>
> C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper\welcome\AWhelper.dll........ "Infected:
> not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.WebHancer.x"
>
> I'll assume this is a false positive, or just a low threat adware...
> unless I hear differently from you.

As trivial as it may seem to some people, I think this is another case
of terminology misuse.

AV programs routinely state things like "Virus found -
trojan.W32.badthing.bdy" they don't bother to inform that it is a
"trojan", not a virus. Then, to add to the confusion, they state (as you
showed) - "Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.WebHancer.x". Here, I
believe what they are trying to say by "not-a-virus" is that this is not
a big threat but is likely a potentially unwanted program.

I could be wrong, but I feel that this is a good detection of what might
not only be a "not-a-virus" but also a "not-a-problem".

Don't proceed on my say-so. It is better to investigate it further so
that an informed decision can be made.

From: Oreally on
RE:

( C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper\welcome\AWhelper.dll........ "Infected:
>> not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.WebHancer.x")

I've run Spydoctor, SuperSpyware, Symantec file checker Trend House Call,
Bit Defender........none of them find anything. Virus Total found 2 out of
42 (VBA32 and ViRobot)...besides Kapersky. So, I'm not sure how to get rid
of it w/o deleting the DLL.

Oreally

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Oreally" <sashago(a)comcast.net>

| ( C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper\welcome\AWhelper.dll........ "Infected:
>>> not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.WebHancer.x")

| I've run Spydoctor, SuperSpyware, Symantec file checker Trend House Call,
| Bit Defender........none of them find anything. Virus Total found 2 out of
| 42 (VBA32 and ViRobot)...besides Kapersky. So, I'm not sure how to get rid
| of it w/o deleting the DLL.

| Oreally

Quarantine it !

--
Dave

From: Oreally on
Kapersky on-line scanner.......no quarantine option.