From: The Old Bloke on
I have always had a problem with TI in the clone mode. The clone always
seems to run OK but the cloned HD will not boot.

So yesterday I tried it again. All the C: files transferred. The boot.ini
looks OK but when I try to boot from the cloned HD I get the message "Error

The new drive is a Samsung SATA 400G HD, and the current C: is SATA 300G. I
looked thru the Acronis site and found the suggestion that the problem could
be cured by creating a rescue CD and booting and running the software from
that CD. The cloned drive still wouldn't boot. My BIOS has the latest
update.

Maybe it was a problem with V9, so I forked out more money and got V10.
Still not bootable.

So maybe the 400G was too large for something. I had a spare 200G SATA
drive, so I cloned to that. Same error message when I tried to boot.

I have had this problem before with TI9. That time I found something with
Google that made the HD bootable, but I can't relocate that. :-(

I booted from the XP CD and ran Fixmbr. That program tells me something to
the effect that the MBR is invalid (can't remember the exact wording), and
gives me the option to fix it. I say yes, but the HD still won't boot. Run
Fixmbr again and it tells me that the MBR is invalid!

I have posted on the TI forum, but so far I have only had suggestions that I
have already tried.

Any help?

From: Colin on
No idea what you are doing but ----

On Sunday I bought a WD 250Gb SATA drive and cloned my WD 200 Gb PATA onto
it ( 2 partitions ) with TI 9 Build 2323

Went like clockwork and quick too.

Shut itself down before telling me to pull the old drive out.

Totally painless.

I regularly image the C: partition and have never had a problem restoring
it.

I don't think it's TI - buggered if I know what though.

Colin

From: The Old Bloke on
Yes, I agree that I must be something wrong with my use when it works for
others. But there are very few options to set when you choose to clone.

Maybe it is something to do with my hardware AMD 4800 dual, 2G RAM. I used
to have different problems (unrelated to TI) before I realised that the
AMD4800 had its own driver. I had never heard of a CPU driver before.

Colin, do you partition and format before cloning? Can't remember the
wording, but there is an option to remove the partition? (I can't check
this at the moment as I have only my trusty C: cabled in.)

By Googling I can see that other people have had similar problems. Varied
solutions such as running Win98 fdisk /mbr, etc. I think I've tried them
all. Getting confused, no, shitty, with the whole thing!

Any feedback on state you new HD is in before you clone? Partitioned, etc.

I have seen systems get totally stuffed when boot sees two bootable HDs but
I have been careful not to let this happen.

On the cloned disk I can see a correct boot.ini and the ntldr files. What
does make a NTFS HD bootable?

Regards
Doug

From: Rod Speed on
The Old Bloke <le0pard32(a)gmail.com> wrote

> I have always had a problem with TI in the clone mode. The clone always seems to run OK but the
> cloned HD will not boot.

> So yesterday I tried it again. All the C: files transferred. The boot.ini looks OK but when I
> try to boot from the cloned HD I get the message "Error loading operating system"

The boot.ini is only a very minor component of the rather complex
NT/2K/XP boot process, essentially just some config data that
ntldr uses to decide what to offer the user menu wise etc.

> The new drive is a Samsung SATA 400G HD, and the current C: is SATA 300G. I looked thru the
> Acronis site and found the suggestion that the problem could be cured by creating a rescue CD and
> booting and running the software from that CD. The cloned drive still wouldn't
> boot. My BIOS has the latest update.

> Maybe it was a problem with V9, so I forked out more money and got
> V10. Still not bootable.

> So maybe the 400G was too large for something. I had a spare 200G
> SATA drive, so I cloned to that. Same error message when I tried to boot.

> I have had this problem before with TI9. That time I found something
> with Google that made the HD bootable, but I can't relocate that. :-(

> I booted from the XP CD and ran Fixmbr. That program tells me
> something to the effect that the MBR is invalid (can't remember the
> exact wording), and gives me the option to fix it. I say yes, but
> the HD still won't boot. Run Fixmbr again and it tells me that the
> MBR is invalid!

What have you got in the bios as far as virus protection is concerned ?

Of that is turned on, the bios will prevent modifications
to the MBR etc and that may well be why TI cant make
the clone bootable, it cant change that to what it should be.

From: Rod Speed on
The Old Bloke <le0pard32(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I agree that I must be something wrong with my use when it works
> for others. But there are very few options to set when you choose to clone.

> Maybe it is something to do with my hardware AMD 4800 dual, 2G RAM. I used to have different
> problems (unrelated to TI) before I realised that the AMD4800 had its own driver. I had never
> heard of a CPU driver before.

Shouldnt be relevant, the problem appears to be that the rather complex
NT/2K/XP boot process isnt being setup properly on the clone.

That process is even more complicated with a clone, because
XP can get very confused indeed if it can see the original on
the first boot of the clone after the clone has been made.

Are you unplugging the original before you first boot the clone ?
Thats absolutely essential, XP gets very confused if you dont.

> Colin, do you partition and format before cloning?

No, there is no need to do that and in fact its completely
pointless because all that is overwritten by the clone process.

> Can't remember the wording, but there is an option to remove the partition?

No there isnt.

> (I can't check this at the moment as I have only my trusty C: cabled in.)

> By Googling I can see that other people have had similar problems. Varied solutions such as
> running Win98 fdisk /mbr, etc. I think I've
> tried them all. Getting confused, no, shitty, with the whole thing!

> Any feedback on state you new HD is in before you clone? Partitioned, etc.

I never bother to do anything special.

> I have seen systems get totally stuffed when boot sees two bootable
> HDs but I have been careful not to let this happen.

> On the cloned disk I can see a correct boot.ini and the ntldr files. What does make a NTFS HD
> bootable?

Its a surprisingly complex process, involving the MBR, ntldr and boot.ini

Its that complex because its designed to allow ntldr and the very
early boot phase to happen off a drive that isnt the one being booted,
even tho most just have one physical drive involved in the boot.

I think its most likely that you have the bios virus protection enabled
and that that is preventing TI from updating the MBR etc on the clone.
The bios stops it from being updated. Just turning virus protection
off on the bios should fix that.

If it isnt that, ask acronis directly about the problem, you just paid for V10.