From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
What Lem said.

PS: You're not doing yourself any favors by always starting new threads
about this computer & your problems.

LewB wrote:
> [...]
> LB
>
>> [You're still messing around with that computer?!]
>>
>>> I have Microsoft Security Essentials [installed]...
>>
>> If you're doing a clean install, you must format the HDD. If you've
>> formatted the HDD, Microsoft Security Essentials is not installed.
>>
>> ===============================
>>
>> HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1
>> in
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307
>>
>> After the clean install, you will have the equivalent of a "new computer"
>> so
>> take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
>> the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers)
>> and
>> before using a flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been
>> freshly formatted:
>>
>> 4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx
>>
>> Other helpful references include:
>>
>> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
>> (after a clean install)
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c
>>
>> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
>> clean install)
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b
>>
>> Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
>> manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029
>>
>> NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the
>> computer
>> when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
>> reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the
>> appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service
>> Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus
>> application
>> (which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).
>>
>> Norton Removal Tool
>>
>> ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe
>>
>> McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
>>
>> http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
>>
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> LewB wrote:
>>> I want to do a clean install of WinXP.Pro. I have the original Setup
>>> disc
>>> and a slipstreamed SP3 disc. Both will not boot from the CD drive. It
>>> is
>>> set correctly in the BIOS. When the system is restarted with the disc
>>> in
>>> place the system does displace the "click any key to boot from the CD"
>>> but
>>> when this is done Windows boots normally. In BIOS there are 3 listed in
>>> 2nd CD/DVD-1: TSST Corp CD/DVDW SH-S182M
>>> 3rd CD/DVD-0:DVD-ROM DVD-16x6S
>>> The 1st and 3rd are essentially the same. I only have two optical
>>> drives.
>>> But trying both discs in each drive produces the same result. The disc
>>> itself suggests disabling all AV program. I have Microsoft Security
>>> Essentials but there are no directions about disabling it....or if that
>>> is
>>> critical.

From: Daave on
LewB wrote:
> I want to do a clean install of WinXP.Pro. I have the original
> Setup disc and a slipstreamed SP3 disc. Both will not boot from the
> CD drive. It is set correctly in the BIOS. When the system is
> restarted with the disc in place the system does displace the "click
> any key to boot from the CD" but when this is done Windows boots
> normally.

Try another keyboard.

What kind of keyboard do you have? PS/2 or USB? Wireless perhaps? Is
there a keyboard-specific setting in the BIOS that may need to be
changed?

If it's not the keyboard, then either both CDs are bad or the CD drive
is bad.

From: LewB on
I'm not sure what you want me to do then? I thought that is what this site
is for, to help those of us that are having problems. Is there a limit to
how many questions one can ask? I'll be happy to discuss this with the site
administrator.
--
LJB

From: LewB on
Well it does boot to Setup on another computer. And after windows comes up
following a standard boot, placing the disc in the disk drive loads setup
normally and gives me all the options. I could reinstall XP at that time but
I presume this would not be a clean install.
--
LJB

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
My point is that you should be posting any/all follow-up in replies to (one
of) your original, earlier thread(s) so that anyone wishing to assist you
will have the complete history available to them.