From: LewB on
I want to do a clean install of WinXP.Pro. I have the original Setup disc
and a slipstreamed SP3 disc. Both will not boot from the CD drive. It is
set correctly in the BIOS. When the system is restarted with the disc in
place the system does displace the "click any key to boot from the CD" but
when this is done Windows boots normally. In BIOS there are 3 listed in
"boot devise priority".
1st CD/DVD-0: DVD-ROM-16X6S
2nd CD/DVD-1: TSST Corp CD/DVDW SH-S182M
3rd CD/DVD-0:DVD-ROM DVD-16x6S
The 1st and 3rd are essentially the same. I only have two optical drives.
But trying both discs in each drive produces the same result. The disc
itself suggests disabling all AV program. I have Microsoft Security
Essentials but there are no directions about disabling it....or if that is
critical.
LJB
--
LJB
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"LewB" <whoislew(a)hotmail.com(sparethespam)> wrote in message
> I want to do a clean install of WinXP.Pro. I have the original Setup
> disc
> and a slipstreamed SP3 disc. Both will not boot from the CD drive. It is
> set correctly in the BIOS. When the system is restarted with the disc in
> place the system does displace the "click any key to boot from the CD" but
> when this is done Windows boots normally. In BIOS there are 3 listed in
> "boot devise priority".
> 1st CD/DVD-0: DVD-ROM-16X6S
> 2nd CD/DVD-1: TSST Corp CD/DVDW SH-S182M
> 3rd CD/DVD-0:DVD-ROM DVD-16x6S
> The 1st and 3rd are essentially the same. I only have two optical drives.
> But trying both discs in each drive produces the same result. The disc
> itself suggests disabling all AV program. I have Microsoft Security
> Essentials but there are no directions about disabling it....or if that is
> critical.
> LJB
> --
> LJB

The status of your virus scanner is irrelevant when booting the machine from
a CD.

I have seen a number of posts in which people insisted that they were unable
to boot from the CD/DVD drive. Here are the most common reasons for such
failures:
- The poster overlooked the prompt to press a key in order to boot from the
CD/DVD drive.
- The boot CD/DVD was not a boot disk or was damaged. Using it on another
machine confirmed this.
- Some BIOS setting was incorrect. Booting with some other boot CD/DVD (e.g.
from here: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/) confirmed this.
- The CD/DVD drive was damaged or unable to boot from a boot CD or DVD.
- The machine had a hardware problem (e.g. a motherboard or RAM problem)
that prevented it from booting in any mode.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[You're still messing around with that computer?!]

> I have Microsoft Security Essentials [installed]...

If you're doing a clean install, you must format the HDD. If you've
formatted the HDD, Microsoft Security Essentials is not installed.

===============================

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you will have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and
before using a flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been
freshly formatted:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the
appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: LewB on
Yeah Bear it is me again trying to do what you suggested several weeks ago.
I can't format this HDD from Setup Disc. It won't boot to Setup as
described. So how can I format and start over? Pegasus says I have
motherboard and disc drive problems. Hopefully not. If I R click on C and
go to format, windows will not allow it because of other utilities running.
I don't know where they are and how to shut them down or if this is the way
to do a format since the Setup is not cooperating with the boot process.
LB
--
LJB

From: Lem on
LewB wrote:
> Yeah Bear it is me again trying to do what you suggested several weeks ago.
> I can't format this HDD from Setup Disc. It won't boot to Setup as
> described. So how can I format and start over? Pegasus says I have
> motherboard and disc drive problems. Hopefully not. If I R click on C and
> go to format, windows will not allow it because of other utilities running.
> I don't know where they are and how to shut them down or if this is the way
> to do a format since the Setup is not cooperating with the boot process.
> LB

Of the four possibilities Pegasus suggested, your description makes it
seem as if option 2 is the most likely: "The boot CD/DVD was not a boot
disk or was damaged."

What exactly is your "original setup disk"? What words are printed on it?

Where did the "slipstreamed SP3 disc" come from? If you made it, what
did you use as the base CD?

Have you tried either of these CDs on another computer? You don't have
to install anything on the other computer, just confirm (or not) that
the CD boots.

Have you created another bootable CD as Pegasus suggested to determine
if your hardware was capable of booting from *any* CD?

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: