From: Daave on
Daave wrote:
> LewB wrote:
>> I want to do a clean install of WinXP.Pro. I have the original
>> Setup disc and a slipstreamed SP3 disc. Both will not boot from the
>> CD drive. It is set correctly in the BIOS. When the system is
>> restarted with the disc in place the system does displace the "click
>> any key to boot from the CD" but when this is done Windows boots
>> normally.
>
> Try another keyboard.
>
> What kind of keyboard do you have? PS/2 or USB? Wireless perhaps? Is
> there a keyboard-specific setting in the BIOS that may need to be
> changed?
>
> If it's not the keyboard, then either both CDs are bad or the CD drive
> is bad.

Also...

What is the make and model of your PC and/or motherboard?

From: LewB on
What is the make and model of your PC and/or motherboard?
Custom made PC with Pentium IV 2.8 chip
Motherboard is Microstar 865PE-Neo-2

What kind of keyboard do you have? PS/2 or USB? Wireless perhaps?
Yes it is wireless and is Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A

Is there a keyboard-specific setting in the BIOS that may need to be changed?
No keyboard reference in this BIOS
--
LJB

From: LewB on
I thought everyone signed off or got tired/annoyed with the previous thread
which numbered 66 entries and no response of many days to my last post. I
assumed I would therefore need to start a new one for more help......and I do
appreciate the help!!
--
LJB

From: Daave on
Before you do anything else, use another (non-wireless) keyboard. That's
probably your problem with regard to the "press any key" issue.

From: LewB on
Yeeessss. You were absolutely correct. I purchased a new keyboard today and
the boot to SetUp went normally. I was able to format and then install WinXP
and now have a "new"computer. I am pleased that the slipstreamed SP3 disc
functioned as advertised.
In keeping with Robear's last note to keep the posts to the same thread
so a full history will be available to all and not spread out over several
threads (as I have done with this one) I will ask you'all about backups. Is
there any advantage to having a proprietary backup program (Acronis, Ghost,
etc) vs using the Backup that comes with WinXP?
I have used EMC's Retrospect and backed up a lot of data to an external
drive but that program is very busy and somewhat complicated. I have also
used backup that comes with WinXP and find it to be more "user friendly". My
son says he simply copies what he wants to back up to a flash drive and after
a reformatt copies them back to Windows and has a fresh look. Isn't that
what Backup in WinXP does?? In either instance there is a lot of
reinstallation of apps that an image program avoids but also carries over
whatever nondesirable objects that you hopefully are getting rid of with the
format and reinstall of WinXP
Anyway many thanks for you great help.
LJB

--