From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
<applause>

From: Daave on
Cool! Good job!

Actually, if the topic is totally new (like asking about backing up
strategies), you should start a new thread. You will get more responders
this way.

If your inability to boot to the Windows XP setup CD was directly
related to your last thread, I could see the value of not starting a new
thread. But if you feel the thrust is significantly different *and* if
you believe a new thread is wise (it's a judgment call), best practice
is to include a link to the other thread so others can refer to it (to
see the bigger picture).

Regarding your current question, have a look at this fine article:

http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=314

Although backing up data is already recommended, if that's *all* you do,
you are out of luck when it comes to recovering from a disaster the easy
way. Sure, you could reinstall the OS and the updates and all your
programs, but who wants to do that when restoring an image of your hard
drive takes care of all that instantly!

I recommend Acronis True Image because I use it and like it. Other
programs are fine, too.

Ntbackup has too many limitations; I'd stay away from it (unless you use
it just to back up data).

Using Windows Explorer to copy data is fine -- as long as you do it
regularly and completely! Doing it this way avoids the proprietary
archive file system that ntbackup uses; that is, with Windows Explorer,
you're just copying the data and not manipulating it into another form.

With Acronis, the data is backed up, too (unless the data is on another
partition and you don't include that in the image). The easiest method
is to have only one partition for everything (OS, applications, and
data) and then regularly image it. Once you play with Acronis, you'll
see it's quite easy to use.

From: LewB on
Good stuff. Thanks. If you use Acronis and do an image backup you have to
be comfortable that you have no bad stuff (viruses/malware) for that will
carry over with the image. And that was the question that was raised in the
discussion.....SP won't load) and brings me now to inquire about backups and
what is considered better, best, safest, etc, I did download a a 30 day free
trial of Acronis and have used it to make a clone to a new HDD. McAfee says
there are no bad characters on it and I will probably switch to Microsoft
Security Essentials or Avast, etc. as recommended on the other thread. I
like the idea of an image because you avoid the painstaking reinstallation of
apps, drivers, etc
LJB

From: LewB on
Robear,
I wanted to provide more info on the AV issues that were raised in the
Antispyware file on my program files. From that point on there were a number
of posts suggesting this was a rogue file and I needed to do a clean install,
etc which eventually was done. I looked at that folder again and it has a
subfolder named TempUpdates. When opened there are two files:
microsoftantispywareinstall.exe (date modified 11/28/2005)
and
Windowsdefender.exe (date modified 5/52006)

This suggests to me that Microsoft Antispyware is a valid app from Microsoft
and is related somehow to Windows Defender and wonder if you agree with this
interpretation. I thought you also would want to have this info in the
unlikely event that this issue could resurface in a new thread.
As I noted previously this folder is not in Add/Remove and there is no
uninstall file associated with it. I suspect it somehow has been bundled up
in Window Defender that is running and is in Add/Remove. Also both Defender
and Microsoft Security Essentials are running simultaneously and I guess that
is routine??
LJB
--
LJB

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Your further investigation suggests that Windows Defender beta had been
installed on the computer 'way back when.

If Defender is installed in WinXP, installing MSE (which includes Defender
"technologies") will remove Defender. (In Vista & Win7, Defender will be
disabled). See this discussion:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/5309cb8d-02e1-40e8-974f-0dcedb9ab9fd